Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The poor man's high-top build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
micklongley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: The poor man's high-top build Reply with quote

Hello All,

I recently had a Fiberine high-top installed and thought I'd start a topic detailing the build up from an unemployed guys perspective. I intend for this to be a picture heavy topic, showing some of the unique build methods I've been using to make my van more livable and comfortable on those treks to Baja or Telluride.

To get a little history on the high-top project you can check out this topic:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427052&highlight=fiberine

Installing the new top at Fiberine in Los Angeles
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

High-top installed!

I then painted to match my black and white theme, made and installed a 3/4" EMT safari style rack(~$15), and fixed my bridging/sand ladders and solar panel to the rack. The rack itself weighs less than 10 lbs, the solar close to 4 lbs, and the sand ladders weigh in at a hefty 15lbs each.

I needed some more light in the bunk/overhead storage areas so I bought some cheap windows (~$60 all said and done) down at the local RV Store. The installation was a bit scary, cutting into my brand new hightop and all. It turned out to be no big deal though, just be patient Smile The scale is a bit small but they allow plenty of light. And like I mentioned earlier - I'm a broke, unemployed, guy!

In preparation for one of my favorite seasons, Winter, I am insulating the top. My original idea was to use cardboard as the insulator, but decided against it as I found it a little too hard to work with. Cardboard seems to have a pretty good R-value at around 4-5R/In. but it was just too rigid to flow with the curves. I decided on using 16X48X2" sections of fiberglass insulation (~$30) I found at the local hardware store. They are rated at 6.7R fully fluffed, but I had to compress them pretty good in some areas. For my "framing" I used salvaged 2X1"s sourced from the Habitat Home Supply store (~$15). I have only managed to rough finish the front cargo area so far.

That's it so far! I plan to finish the insulation with either a heavy fabric, a light carpet, or with wall paper. The noise canceling properties of the insulation are great - it rained and hailed pretty hard the other day and I found that, in the part that is insulated, the weather was hardly noticeable.

Feel free to ask questions, criticize, suggest better methods, etc.
andy syncro-nutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great! Cool
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indoor/outdoor boat carpet with a ton of mastic should give it a good stick. Nice work, good upgrade.
I want a boat top Boo hoo!
For real I like it, I really do want one.
How much higher is it than a westy roof?
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd stick a plastic vapour barrier sheet between the humans and that fibreglass pink insulation, if I was you!

The insulation is going to get pretty saturated, otherwise. Sure, it won't rust the top out without it, but it's still going to be kind of humid & gross over time.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witless Joe wrote:
I'd stick a plastic vapour barrier sheet between the humans and that fibreglass pink insulation, if I was you!

The insulation is going to get pretty saturated, otherwise. Sure, it won't rust the top out without it, but it's still going to be kind of humid & gross over time.

X2 try and work in a very good vapor barrier.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Fiberine offer the insulation and finished interior? I ordered mine that way and was sure glad I did!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
micklongley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: humans are icky Reply with quote

That's a great point on the vapor barrier - I hadn't even thought of that. I'll make sure to source some used plastic to place between my finish material and the fiberglass.

I was unaware Fiberine offered an insulation package. It was somewhat of a struggle to convince them to even put the hightop back into production, so that my my main effort. My hunch is that the insulation package would have priced me out of the market though. My whole process will hopefully cost less than $100 and I'll be able to build it the way I want - I'm sure Fiberine doesn't offer vintage wall paper as one of their finish options Smile

Thanks for the comments and suggestions - you have surely saved me from a lot of heartache this winter and spring.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with rigid foam insualtion vs fiberglass in this application.
and possibly topcoated with a layer of the foil bubble wrap (covered in headliner fabric?)
it can even usually be scavanged from construction site dumpsters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ostara
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks wicked. Nice job all around. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I would go with rigid foam insualtion vs fiberglass in this application.
and possibly topcoated with a layer of the foil bubble wrap (covered in headliner fabric?)
it can even usually be scavanged from construction site dumpsters.

second that, closed cell foam or rigid foam better that fiberglass

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The poor man's high-top build Reply with quote

micklongley wrote:
Hello All,

Nice - Dunno if I've seen it around with the new top. I definitely remember seeing your distinctive paint job around town.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even tho you've done the fibreglass insulation, I'd agree with the harder insulation. The fibreglass will get wet, it will give off fibres which are not good, may even give off gases, will absorb smells (I think) and I think the harder would be better noise control. How much would you be out if you changed at this stage? Better now than later or next year or next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinealservo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a budget install like this, I'd stick with fiberglass and a vapor barrier over rigid foam. The top is curved, and the rigid stuff is flat. Not a good combination, since it doesn't bend at all, and you'd end up losing space or having gaps. With a well-sealed plastic vapor barrier, moisture shouldn't be a problem, and all the materials should be easy to scrounge or relatively cheap to buy. Definitely not optimal, but it should work well enough and it's halfway done already.

Polyethylene closed cell foam would be closer to ideal, since it's flexible but won't absorb moisture, and it's not terribly expensive. A lot of european DIY camper conversions seem to use this. Closed cell foams have greater R-value than fiberglass and open-cell foams. You could also use thin, flexible board screwed into your furring strips to create a rigid and smooth ceiling, and then use a slow-expanding closed cell foam injected through drilled holes to fill the gap between your ceiling and the top. This would also give you a very nice surface to put your wallpaper on and great insulation.
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your finishing layer should be very light as the weight of all that carpet or whatever you use will be pulling straight down off the cardboard. Pulling every thing else with it I would wager. Rigid might have been a better go.

Perhaps Wallpaper on the cardboard?

I do love the Top though, those are the way to go. Wink
VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
micklongley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Some updates! Reply with quote

WOW! Thanks for all the input. I have a quick update for y'all. This weekend I went out to Telluride for the Indie Film Fest. I was able to try the top bunk out for the first time (without insulation over the sleeping area). It worked great but would be a bit scary for a person susceptible to claustrophobia Smile

Im excited to get it all insulated. Going home from Telluride I took a mountain pass (Ophir Pass for those Durango locals!) and had yet to secure my items above the cockpit. The pass requires quite a bit of clearance and momentum for 2wd vehicles so much of my stuff above the cab came down to the floor and ripped some of my cardboard out as a result. This makes me think I might give the recycled method of insulation another shot since I have to redo a bit of it anyhow. I really don't want to buy rigid foam, as this would have the same issue as insulating with cardboard like I had originally intended.

I will be sure to keep all ideas in mind and will be posting up what I finally end up with - It may end up being a mix of a few materials... we shall see!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the big air bubble sheets, light and good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeftySmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are these bad boys?
Look way more sleek then the timber tech one.
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeftySmurf wrote:
How much are these bad boys?
Look way more sleek then the timber tech one.

I believe under 1k

You just gotta let them know you have heard about their bad rep and let them make it up to you Wink

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Some updates! Reply with quote

micklongley wrote:
This makes me think I might give the recycled method of insulation another shot since I have to redo a bit of it anyhow. I really don't want to buy rigid foam, as this would have the same issue as insulating with cardboard like I had originally intended.

When i had my headliner down to install sunroof and poptop, I used the shredded rubbery carpet pad from home depot on my metal roof for sound and insulation. It's not closed cell, but it was cheap and very easy to work with - using spray/contact adhesive. It's not quite an inch thick but it will make a huge difference for sound and thermal conduction. Its simple to cut/mold and sticks like a champ (it has a nice flat backing). You might still want a moisture barrier on top of it but that really depends on how permeable your headliner layer is. If you use a headliner material thats not porous (recommended) you will be fine w/o a barrier.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: