Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Luftfilter / Air filter VW what year?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BjornTore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Luftfilter / Air filter VW what year? Reply with quote

Hi. Anyone knows what year VW used thiis type of Luftfiler/Airfilter? I have in for my 1949 std. mod VW. But the engine is from 1952?! the pic is in the gallery on this forum!! BT, Norway
kdf38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Luftfilter/Airfilter VW what year? Reply with quote

BjornTore wrote:
Hi. Anyone knows what year VW used thiis type of Luftfiler/Airfilter? I have in for my 1949 std. mod VW. But the engine is from 1952?! the pic is in the gallery on this forum!! BT, Norway

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the "Cyclonic" air filter, referred to as "Kübelwagen" air cleaners by some of the VW old-timers. In any case, these were commonly found on Hoffman-imported, U.S.-market splits. There is a discussion on them in this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=325034

Last edited by janerick3 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Gustav Petri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
This is the Mann "Cyclonic" felt cone air filter, first used on VWs (Type 11A) in July 1949, at Chassis No. 1-0114186, according to Progressive Refinements. However, some old-timers refer to these as "Kübelwagen" air cleaners. In any case, these were commonly found on Hoffman-imported, U.S.-market splits. There is a discussion on them in this thread:

I have seen a cupple of these filters but dont think I have seen the MANN version, all I have seen would be KNECHT. Some say they would be a better solution for dusty roads. They would allso be used on the dual carb Express kit. The filter could be a dealer and not customer option, anyone know?
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gustav Petri wrote:
janerick3 wrote:
This is the Mann "Cyclonic" felt cone air filter, first used on VWs (Type 11A) in July 1949, at Chassis No. 1-0114186, according to Progressive Refinements. However, some old-timers refer to these as "Kübelwagen" air cleaners. In any case, these were commonly found on Hoffman-imported, U.S.-market splits. There is a discussion on them in this thread:

I have seen a cupple of these filters but dont think I have seen the MANN version, all I have seen would be KNECHT. Some say they would be a better solution for dusty roads. They would allso be used on the dual carb Express kit. The filter could be a dealer and not customer option, anyone know?

I believe you are correct about this version being made by KNECHT. It is also not a felt element. The filter element is sort of like those old copper pot scrubbers.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
BjornTore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Luftfilter/Airfilter VW what year? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
BjornTore wrote:

I forgot to write, its a Knecht filter.
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its maybe original to your car. They put it over when they put a newer engine in it. Factory rebuild engine maybe? Is your car Møller import?

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

The oldtimers probably refered to it as a kubel filter because it is very similar in appearance to this, note how the clamps are identical (could well be from the same manufacturer):

The cyclone first appeared during the war to address the dusty conditions of N. Africa and Russia in the summer. The above one is quite rare, this is the more common version, sorry it's not a better picture:

Cheers.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:

I don't believe this is correct.

There are only three entries about air filters in PR during the 25hp years.

Jan 14, '49 Chassis No 092 918 Air Cleaner, Now: mushroom shape, Formerly: pot shape.

July '49 Chassis No 1-0 114 186 Felt cone filter, Now: for engines in vehicles of type 11A

Aug 20, '52 Chassis No 1-0 382 029 Oil bath air cleaner, Now: fitted in a number of cases

The felt cone filter is the T filter or coffee can filter that we see on most 25hp engines. It has a felt cone inside. I don't see any mention of the word "Cyclonic". This filter continued until the introduction of the strap type oil bath filter (that had three variations in and of itself)

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
janerick3 wrote:

I don't believe this is correct.

There are only three entries about air filters in PR during the 25hp years.

Jan 14, '49 Chassis No 092 918 Air Cleaner, Now: mushroom shape, Formerly: pot shape.

July '49 Chassis No 1-0 114 186 Felt cone filter, Now: for engines in vehicles of type 11A

Aug 20, '52 Chassis No 1-0 382 029 Oil bath air cleaner, Now: fitted in a number of cases

The felt cone filter is the T filter or coffee can filter that we see on most 25hp engines. It has a felt cone inside. I don't see any mention of the word "Cyclonic". This filter continued until the introduction of the strap type oil bath filter (that had three variations in and of itself)

I agree--original post edited. To answer the original poster, I would say the cyclonic filter was discontinued when the oil bath filter was introduced (20 Aug 52). Garwood mentions (pp. 38, 92) that either the Mann "mushroom" or the Knecht "sock" filter was used 1945-48. I cannot find a picture of the Knecht "sock" filter in the gallery, but I saw one several years ago and thought it looked very similar to the cyclonic filter, but with a felt sock in place of the mesh filter element.

However, either the wing nut oil bath air cleaner or the coffee can filter was installed between 20 Aug and the end of 1952, when the first type of "strap" air cleaner was introduced. The coffee can continued to be available until the introduction of the 36hp engine, when the oil bath cleaner became standard equipment. Both change points are documented in PR.
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Sweden the cyclone filter was installed from 1 jan -52, I have paper on that from the Swedish VW importer Very Happy
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same here in Finland, installed maybe also for late 1951.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brought home this May -52 engine with just the same type of aircleaner.
This one is a Knecht.

The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BjornTore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: airfilter knecht Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
Its maybe original to your car. They put it over when they put a newer engine in it. Factory rebuild engine maybe? Is your car Møller import?

hello. No my car is delivered first time in Germany. It came to Norway in early 70 s. Bt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: