Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2WD to 4WD conversion...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

There are quite a few build threads focused on that very topic, so I'd start your quest with those. Nearly everything comprising the front suspension is Syncro-specific, which is why most folks will tell you to just buy a donor.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Ive got a few e-mails from some past Vanagon friends. They suggest the same as you Zeitgeist 13. Im coming to think I might start the search for a donor and who knows, I may find an entire useable syncro out there. I just don't want to tap into my engine replacement fund I started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

WildWesty,

By cheaper, I think the Quattro conversion avoids having to source the Syncro transmission, and front diff and comes with a more powerful engine. I would think that a properly sorted (read rebuilt) Syncro trans has to be $6k, and then getting a front diff and having the VC rebuilt has to be $2k.

With a Quattro, buy a wreck for $500, and source the Syncro front suspension/hubs and start welding. I have not read the Quattro thread in a while but I remember being impressed with a lot of things, including the cost. Hope I'm right (scuttles off to reread it.... Laughing
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Buying ala carte Syncro parts will cost more and allow for more problems.

Buy a complete donor....and be ready to pay, they are not cheap and a line will form fast, full of interested parties, some tired of searching and ready to kick down big dollars.
Then be ready to spend twice what you pay for the donor to have the transmission properly rebuilt and front locker assembled.
The cost of these two parts of the procedure may make you rethink the project entirely.

$yncro
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Ill have to look at that Quattro thread. Sounds interesting. Yep, it seems Ill probably start the search for my first syncro! Not too worried about the money. My only debt in life has accumulated because of these vans. I hope my Quakertown connection gets back to me, his mailbox is always full. Hes always had a good selection of syncros.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Cool.
In my experience, even recently buying a complete running and driving Syncro has made more sense than one as a donor....if you want to test all of the parts and be able to sell off what you don't need for any real money.

Parts vans have jumped way up in price.
I used to buy them for $500-1500, maybe $2500 with fancy wheels, bumpers and other add ons.
These were easy to flip to get your $ back and than have the entire van to use, part, sell...whatever.

In today's market, a "donor" starts around 5 grand and if not running at purchase, be prepared for $5000 minimum on the trans rebuild and upgrade.
Read the current Syncro transmission threads....do not use used parts for your rebuild.
The R&P, mainshaft, gears and cases are thousands alone.

There are plenty of decent Syncros out and about for sale.
When you crunch the numbers...many will be less than building one...especially if you are paying someone else to build your van.
A solid 2wd is worth good money today.
Not trying to change anyone's mind, just speaking from experience...$yncro experience.
You can not understand $yncro until owning one.
Read up the learning curve has been extremely expensive for a few around here.
Some have amazing vans and have dealt with the blows well and have worked through it....others, just a bitchfest, with added finger pointing.
Learn from others mistakes.

You can get a lot of suspension parts aftermarket from Burley, no transmissions though.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

That's all good positive advice insyncro. If I get lucky it looks like Ill be working on a syncro this summer rather than my westy roof transplant. Who knows maybe Ill find the energy for both.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Greggk, Are you getting stuck on snow with that Peloquin or on something else? I've had Geolanders and thought they sucked in the snow. Nokians however......

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

I was backing out of the drive way and got stuck in a drainage rut. It was a bit icy but the ground was flat. I did go at it pretty slow but its hard to see the traffic coming. Ive been in and out of that driveway a number of times when the van didn't have the peloquin and probably got stuck a few times too.
I had to beat it up pretty good. Forward/reverse/forward/reverse with the parking brake on a little bit until I got the momentum to go forward. Then I just backed out with some more speed and made it.
From the looks of the Geolander I figured it would offer better traction. Last winter I had the peloquin with Nokian WRC tires. I never got stuck but I was here on the east coast and my snow experiences were minimal.
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Yes I was in the snow.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

IIRC the Geolanders have very little siping. They sucked in snow or wet grasss compared to Nokians due to not enough siping and too hard a rubber compound. 😀

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mountain1.8t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
IIRC the Geolanders have very little siping. They sucked in snow or wet grasss compared to Nokians due to not enough siping and too hard a rubber compound. 😀

I can confirm the Geolanders do not perform well in ice and snow. I'm going with Nokians the next go around.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

I have not found a better snow tire than Nokian.
Portiesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Buying ala carte Syncro parts will cost more and allow for more problems.

Buy a complete donor....and be ready to pay, they are not cheap and a line will form fast, full of interested parties, some tired of searching and ready to kick down big dollars.
Then be ready to spend twice what you pay for the donor to have the transmission properly rebuilt and front locker assembled.
The cost of these two parts of the procedure may make you rethink the project entirely.

$yncro

I have to agree with you insyncro.
I have a parts syncro that i purchased for $3000 Aus (which is pretty good cause they dont come up very often here in Australia) which I planned to use converting my auto DOKA, but the cost of the repairs/rebuild of the transaxle and front diff aren't cheap. after I killed my other syncro van transaxle as well I have decided to go the reversed subi 5spd route on the DOKA, which although not cheap in itself, should give a reliable, strong nice driving ute.
GundyAE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can put a Subaru legacy L awd transmition into a 2wd 1990 VW Vanagon?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

yes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

GundyAE wrote:
Does anyone know if you can put a Subaru legacy L awd transmition into a 2wd 1990 VW Vanagon?

Welcome! I think you've already received one smartass answer to your question, but I believe the Subarugears conversion lets you use a Sube engine and trans in a Vanagon.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

What's the worst part of a 2WD to 4WD conversion (besides spending money to rebuild trans/diffs)? Is it installing the gas tank? Can that be done without a lift?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
What's the worst part of a 2WD to 4WD conversion (besides spending money to rebuild trans/diffs)? Is it installing the gas tank? Can that be done without a lift?

Yes the tank can be done without a lift. Engine out.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2WD to 4WD conversion... Reply with quote

Is it possible to drive a 4wd conversion on the street with that much grip? Will it tear up the asphalt?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: