Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 patina ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

While in a vintage ghia...every modern car or truck...at night...on the 4 lane can be a white knuckler ride. I love that you take your ghia on these adventures. Its the getting there and back that is the adventure, not always the destination.
There isn't a bad song on Harvest! Would love to hear a double down with El Paso and some neil young!! Classic.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

I love this car, and a very cool detail with the German fuel gauge! I hope to be able to make some fairly long haul drives once my basket case is up and running.

Calexican - Do you make it to the Texas Classic in Fredricksburg? I just moved to TX and plan to make my first trip out there this spring.
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Howdy folks, it’s been a while....sorry I didn’t get back to you about the Friedricksberg show, no, I’ve never been to a VW show!!! I’ve always wanted to go to one but the timing has never been right.

I’ve been doing some posting over in the engine forum... I think maybe they have given up on me because I’m asking too many stupid questions. Lol! But it has been very interesting tearing down the stock 36... buying another complete one and tearing it down, but not the block... I should’ve but I thought I could get by and see what I got...well what I got was an an engine with a worn out rod bearing... so tear down 2.0

Really amazing design... I know we all love our cars designs, but when you get into the engine... those light shells, the case, with that heavy crank in the middle spinning around, it’s a wonder.... and most of it 60 years old!!!

I’m getting ready to go on tour soon, I’m hoping I’ll get this done before I leave...here are a few shots.
The original motor had a lot of endplay, and it was clattering something fierce on that last trip from Tucson... so I think that case may be ruined, unless it can be line bored... there was all this space at the main bearing. The third picture has the space, the fourth picture looks to be normal, that’s the case I’m using for the rebuild.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
...I’m getting ready to go on tour soon,...
..And quite an extensive tour by the info carried by the Calexico website.... Alas no Sydney dates Sad
Nicholas
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
calexican wrote:
...I’m getting ready to go on tour soon,...
..And quite an extensive tour by the info carried by the Calexico website.... Alas no Sydney dates :(
Nicholas

Alas, Sydney being but a short flight from Auckland.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Got back from tour and just jumped right in where I left off.
Left the heater boxes off and went for these j pipes. Fitting the bottom engine tin after the fact was a trick.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

No smoke or rattles!! Sounds great, I’m happy. Much respect for all the engine builders out there. It’s a lot of work. Loved it though!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Engine looks nice in there !
You may want to consider some "industrial tins" over the j-tube under the head.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and link. That’s interesting, but I think I’m ok with the original tin here on the bottom. It was tough getting in but it all fits nice, protects the push rod tubes, and I think they shield the heat from the road off. Anyway, she is running better than ever, and quieter than ever, learned a lot doing this.

Texasdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

The Ghia looks great John. Was an absolute pleasure meeting you this weekend.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

You too DJ! I went to my first VW car show. El BugO in El PasO. It was a lot of fun, I didn’t get to stay very long, but I got to meet up with some really nice people and see some really cool cars and busses. Here are a few examples. This first one is DJ’s Beetle, I love the bare metal, thought of doing it to my Ghia.

A couple of very nice patina Ghia’s.

My neighbors bus with new owners parked right next to me, nice to see that beauty again.

Loved this 1950 Beetle.

Mexico represents!

This beauty came from Arizona.

Got to meet up with Mr. G, who does these amazing mods on busses and motors to keep things cool out here in the Southwest Heat. All in all a lot of fun next year I will try to plan ahead and stay for the whole show, lots of good Mexican food and really cool cars, loved it!!!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Desert patina seems to be an inevitable result of the climate. Smile

...just rust here. Sad
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Concur, they all have that Tex/Mex flavor going on. The black/red one is faking it. Wink
Texasdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Starting in my Ghia today for next years show. 🙂
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Concur, they all have that Tex/Mex flavor going on. The black/red one is faking it. Wink

True he was faking a little, but his car is on air!!! Very cool. ✊🏽
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

104 degrees today in El Paso...this pic says it all.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:

104 degrees today in El Paso...this pic says it all.

Love it...drove mine to a country pub yesterday a cool (for you) 73 degrees...sweltering for me. Wink
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Since I had everything I decided to build a second 36hp engine for a spare... why the hell not?? Back from the machine shop.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Since I had everything I decided to build a second 36hp engine for a spare... why the hell not?? Back from the machine shop.

Stock or "breathed upon" Wink
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

all stock John...going with what i know...much respect though for all the vintage speed enthusiasts out there. awesome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: