Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has upgraded to led lights?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuluThe1970Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

I am wanting to upgrade to led headlights, tail lights and such.
Suggestions are appreciated
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

Read this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I switched to a set of VC4000’s from vintagecarleds and I love them.

If you have any specific questions you can contact them here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=385683

They are very helpful if you are unsure what to get.

For taillights and marker lights, you can probably just change out the bulbs with LED ones from the auto parts store.

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vintagecarleds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

Let me know if you have any questions for us Cool

Please use the coupon code "thanks10" for 10% off.

Feedback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630636&highlight=thomas+vintagecarleds

Beeble1 is right, if you want LED brake lights/tail lights you can get them for $22 a pair at your local auto part store.

Here is a video we made explaining one pair we are really happy with:

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robcy04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

I have a 1979 SB and I would like to upgrade the tail lights. The Sylvania site list the following bulbs:

Turn Front = 1157(White)
Turn Rear = 1156(White)
Brake = 1156R(Red)
Park = 1157(White)
Backup = 1156(White)

Has anyone done this, and can they confirm that this is correct?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

robcy04 wrote:
I have a 1979 SB and I would like to upgrade the tail lights. The Sylvania site list the following bulbs:

Turn Front = 1157(White)
Turn Rear = 1156(White)
Brake = 1156R(Red)
Park = 1157(White)
Backup = 1156(White)

Has anyone done this, and can they confirm that this is correct?

Yes, the above part numbers are correct.

See the above youtube video. You will need to get a AMBER bulb for Amber lenses, Red bulb for red lenses etc...

Will need to swap out your turn signal relay/flasher to a LED version (EP-35) if you swap turn signals to LEDs

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle

Last edited by Mr.Duncan on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

I'm curious if the turn signal relay would act normally with the reduced system load?? I've been considering LED's for a while just haven't gotten to that on my list yet.
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
I'm curious if the turn signal relay would act normally with the reduced system load?? I've been considering LED's for a while just haven't gotten to that on my list yet.

It will hyper flash. You will need to install a EP-35 turn signal relay. Can be found for around $6 online.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

Ah - sorry skimmed past that. Will the hyper-flashing break a stock relay?
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
Ah - sorry skimmed past that. Will the hyper-flashing break a stock relay?

I don't see it breaking it, but it will blink about twice as fast. So I assume it will "wear out" twice as fast?

Just throw in a $6 LED version of the same relay to be safe.

Red 1966 Beetle Thread
1966 Ghia (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

Yep, Amazon has a bunch of 'em too

I bought this adjustable one -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mostly 'cause I thought it was funny.
Works fine, allowed me to set the blink rate to something that felt right.

I'm running Philips Xtremevision LED's in my bug's rear lights, they're about double the price for about the same performance; got Zevo's in the third brake lights.
Still happy with 'em
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has upgraded to led lights? Reply with quote

I have tested most of the main brands of H4 LED replacement bulbs and none have the uniformity of beam spread of a good halogen bulb. They included:
- Osram
- Philips
- PIAA

People with an old car may see a difference with the LED bulb because the (the VW Beetle especially) car has a significant voltage drop between the battery and the bulb and the LED controller has a DC-DC converter which boosts the voltage up to around 13.2V.
If you ran the H4 Bulb at around 12.7V which is the nominal voltage for the bulb with full light output you would see a significant improvement in light output without the patchy inconsistent beam of the LED bulb.

You cannot get the same beam from an LED bulb with chipsets on a flat plane separated by a few millimetres. It physically is not as good a light from a single point as with the halogen filament which the lamp unit is designed for.

The better solution rather than install LED bulbs is modify the wiring in your car to take power for the headlight bulbs directly from the battery and use the existing wiring for switching via a relay.

I would recommend using OSRAM Night Breaker Laser bulbs. They are the best standard halagen bulbs available.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: