Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Pop Top for Eurovan?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

@Xtremjeepn Thanks for posting with your firsthand knowledge and experience with Reimo and their tops. It seems odd to me that they don't build a few ahead and stock them, but inventory just sitting on shelves is capital not making money, so perhaps that's their logic.

As always, your opinion on such things and your candor in general is appreciated. Thanks again for chiming in!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Reimo pop top installed. Now it blends right in with the Westys!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Last edited by orbeamike on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Wow. Looks great.

Need more details on the Poptop hardware please.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
Reimo pop top installed. Now it blends right in with the Westys!

Looks nice -- thanks for sharing the pictures! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

CdnVWJunkie wrote:
Wow. Looks great.

Need more details on the Poptop hardware please.

This is a standard offering from Reimo which includes all the hardware (pop top, hinges and tent). No modification to existing cutout from Winnebago, pretty straight forward removal and installation of the new top. The Reimo top is secured to the van up front with 4 straps. For my van 2 new strap mounting points needed to be drilled and installed on the top so they line up with the Winnebago front opening. I do want to add that the whole job took longer than anticipated due to couple factors: 1) Once the Winnebago top was removed, there was so much silicone residue on the van it literally took a person whole day to clean all that stuff off the van. 2) My installer had to shave some material off the new top so the top would "sit right" on the van.
One upside with the new top is I now have a much larger shelf area over the cab when the top is up. With the top up I can still fold the top bunk out of the way like before, but I do feel the rear hinge doesn't open quite as tall as the Winnebago top. Interior of the Reimo top is a soft cloth material and no internal 12V wiring. I am working on installing LED strip lighting at the bottom edge of the tent.
It took over 4 months for Santa Cruz Campers to get the top from Germany, they are made to order so it took a while.

Last edited by orbeamike on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:03 pm; edited 6 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Very cool!

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

We have one of these ready to be installed here at CaveVan as we are also a Reimo dealer and certified installer.

We should have it on in a few weeks at most.

Cole
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I hope Reimo understands that there's a "moment" going on right now for the stuff they do, here in NA. I could be easily convinced to opt for one of their hightop T4 tops, but their website is dreadful and very short on details considering the costs of the items in question.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I hope Reimo understands that there's a "moment" going on right now for the stuff they do, here in NA. I could be easily convinced to opt for one of their hightop T4 tops, but their website is dreadful and very short on details considering the costs of the items in question.

After my luggage tray blew off, I started to wonder how much longer my Winnebago top is going to hold up. My understanding is that Reimo is plenty busy building various parts for T6, Metris and new generation vehicle conversions. Fearing that Reimo may decide one day to stop producing the T4 LWB pop top altogether, I made the decision to switch to the Reimo top while I still can since I prefer the function and aesthetic of this design over all other available replacement options.
The T4 Eurovan Campers in general are getting up there in age and mileage, I am not sure how many people are willing to pay a substantial amount for a top conversion.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

After my luggage tray blew off, I started to wonder how much longer my Winnebago top is going to hold up. My understanding is that Reimo is plenty busy building various parts for T6, Metris and new generation vehicle conversions. Fearing that Reimo may decide one day to stop producing the T4 LWB pop top altogether, I made the decision to switch to the Reimo top while I still can since I prefer the function and aesthetic of this design over all other available replacement options.
The T4 Eurovan Campers in general are getting up there in age and mileage, I am not sure how many people are willing to pay a substantial amount for a top conversion.

Sound logic. Do you mind disclosing what the roof set you back $-wise? If not publicly, maybe in PM?
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

FWIW, I had the same question re: price. I'm curious what these run even just as a broad price range. Hard product cost and also installed.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:
FWIW, I had the same question re: price. I'm curious what these run even just as a broad price range. Hard product cost and also installed.

Some basic info:
https://www.reimo.com/en/21121-vw_t4_pop_top_roof_superflat_2_lwb_until_2003_front_pop_up_white/

Since mine was the 1st and somewhat experimental in fitting, price may differ from subsequent conversions.
A quick call or email to Cole at Cave Van or Eric at Santa Cruz Campers will get you a more accurate quote.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Thanks for the link and info!
speedygeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Xtremjeepn wrote:
These are made to order and I’m a bit disappointed at the delivery times and customer service.

Any updates on the new top?
MasonRutledge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

I'm looking for Pop-Top Hinges for a 1995 Eurovan Camper. Would love any help.
jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:
Xtremjeepn wrote:
These are made to order and I’m a bit disappointed at the delivery times and customer service.

Any updates on the new top?

Seems good so far! The extra interior storage space above the cab with the top up is nice. Creaking and rattling is significantly reduced.

orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Yeah! I didn't get to go on as many trips as I liked this year, but every trip I took I am glad to have this new top instead of the problem prone Winnie top. Jonathan: I never quite figure out the extra mounting holes behind the gas strut on your top, what are those for? roof rails?
Have you figured out your lighting yet?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

IdeaNerd wrote:

2600 Euro on website

10 hour install maybe?

Fudge. Can’t believe I missed this. On the crack repairs up thread.

Anytime you have a crack you want to find the end ( look with a magnifying glass!) and drill a hole asa crack-stopper. The hole spreads out the shear force of the crack into a larger, symmetric area so that it doesn’t propagate.

The same would apply anywhere your crack changed direction and left a sharp point. Smooth that out, fill with material.
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Pop Top for Eurovan? Reply with quote

Don't forget to figure in shipping cost. $$$$
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: