Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving the '84
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

coqcitywesty wrote:
Looks fantastic - congrats on getting it on the road and for sharing the build - I have learned a lot from this thread. All the best.

thank you, much appreciated.

welp, figured out this mystery

[email protected] wrote:

then it was on to finalizing the brakes. that's when the fight broke out. mind you, this van has about 112k on it. other than being neglected it was reasonably unmolested.

i ordered new wheel bearings based on measuring as the 84 has a split...19mm or 22mm outer bearing inner diameters. so, i measured and came up with 19mm. perfect. until it wasn't Evil or Very Mad

turns out the left is 19mm which i measured. the right was 22mm which i didn't measure. fuck me. anyway, i ordered the 22mm for the right and continued on.

talking to my parts guy who has been with vw since 1978 i gave him my vin. he laughed...said yep you're literally last in line for the split and he remembers vw doing stupid shit like this back in the day.

i have no reason to believe that either spindle was swapped out. that was a bit of a pain in the ass and of course, a last minute discovery

turns out, in july of '98 the thing smoked a right wheel bearing and the dealer replaced the knuckle

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

decided to quiet down the interior and take care of the dead foam on all the doors

the first road test had some rattles. i'll lend a deaf ear to some of this shit but my goal here is to hear a gnat queef. clattery old doors won't help that goal

back seat bottom had some interesting stains, so dug out old stinky

this is what came out of the back seat bottom

fuck, there's chunks in it Shocked

after 4 sessions with the hottest water the machine could handle i think i sucked every fart that has been deposited the past 37 years out of it.

hit the carpet too. really didn't need it as i hosed it out already

i hope to get a few more miles on it tomorrow

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
dobryan Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

Oh man! Never look at the bilge water! Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Saving the '84 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

xoo00oox wrote:
Beautiful job! I love to see your attention to detail with everything you do. Will you be going to Terryville this weekend?

Thanks Andrew! I was going to give you a call/email and see if you still needed those bay window parts we chatted about. I hope to bring this to terryville as long as i can get a few more shakedown miles on it. as of now, i plan to be there

Yes, I still need the Jalousie window for the sliding door of my '72 Bay. Great job on that carpet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: