Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

He said it was a 1.9 NA which is a diesel motor commonly used to upgrade a dead 1.6 NA in 82 and 83 diesel vans.

Mark
Skippa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
The oil pump is driven by mating into a slot on the cam gear.

If you didn't ensure a proper engagement, you weren't pumping oil, or pumping it very inefficiently.

1.9 in an 82?
1.9 did not appear until 83.
Someone may have modified your unit at some point in the past?
Or you have an 83 with a PRODUCTION date of late 82 which is an 83 MODEL year.

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the reply. You are correct, the 1.9l was a replacement engine for the original 1.6. That was done when I got the van which is why I’m trying to figure out what went wrong. I’m happy to put another 1.9 in but obviously want to keep it running longer between blowups. Can I ask a follow up “stupid question”? Is there a good way to check how well the oil pump is circulating oil in case I have to repair another one? It appeared engaged properly and was seated as far in the slot as originally (based on markings on the pump). The oil light was not on. Thanks again!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

If the oil was not circulating you would not have oil pressure. I doubt too that the engine would have died as quickly as it did if the failure was caused by just a lack of oil since start up. I have seen cold engines run a long time with no oil flow.
Diy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

If the water pump is a rattlin do I really need to change it?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Diy2k wrote:
If the water pump is a rattlin do I really need to change it?

No reasons to change it if you don't mind experiencing an engine failure. Laughing
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Oil pressure light in the instrument cluster.
1- Ignition on, engine off: light blinks
2- Engine on: Light turns off
(All good so far. I leave the engine on for 10 seconds.)
3- I turn the engine off, and switch the ignition on: light does not blink

Should the light blink at step 3?

If I wait a minute or two and start over, light blinks as it should. Is my oil pressure switch tired?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Oil pressure light in the instrument cluster.
1- Ignition on, engine off: light blinks
2- Engine on: Light turns off
(All good so far. I leave the engine on for 10 seconds.)
3- I turn the engine off, and switch the ignition on: light does not blink

Should the light blink at step 3?

If I wait a minute or two and start over, light blinks as it should. Is my oil pressure switch tired?

It takes a while for the cold thick oil to drain from the oil pressure switch, so this is pretty normal and expected.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks.
Took me a while to fix it, I had a damaged PCB (the one hiding behind the tach), AND a bad wire between the oil pressure switch and the T2 connector in the engine bay. That's when the diagnosis charts in the Bentley come in real handy.
Mk3rattlebox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Long time lurker... have a few questions regarding an auto (090) 86 westy...

1. Pinion cover - took mine off to replace the two seals seperating the transaxle from the valve body. Is there any requirement for checking play or anything of the like if i just removed the differential pinion cover to replace the seals?

2. The two seals are back to back with the 'lip' facing out. How do you get the 2nd seal into position without damaging the lip?

Thanks Confused
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Mk3rattlebox wrote:

Thanks Confused

Not real sure what you are asking. To replace the seals, most people would drop the transaxle and separate the two boxes. A few might try and do it by only removing the automatic section, but I don't think there was be much in the way of time savings by doing so. Any way to go at it you have to be real careful not to damage the oil pump drive shaft and/or the oil pump.

If the back to back seals are old and worn enough to leak, the governor shaft seal and the inner pinion seal may also be due for replacement, and don't forget the torque converter seal.
jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by jb20thae on Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Can I store a Dometic fridge on its side?

Someone gave me a spare fridge, which I'm keeping for parts.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

You probably can, BUT do not sit it upright and turn it on right away. Better to let it sit upright overnight before trying to start it. The freon/oil has to drain back into the compressor before starting.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
VicVan wrote:

You probably can, BUT do not sit it upright and turn it on right away. Better to let it sit upright overnight before trying to start it. The freon/oil has to drain back into the compressor before starting.

Aren't these still ammonia based?

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Yup - no compressor, no freon.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jb20thae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Anyone know if vw and/or audi wheel covers will fit modern mercedes steel wheels?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Does that change anything regarding the ability to stock it on its side?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Yes. I was thinking of later model fridges with a compressor. Compressor is a spinning motor so you want the oils to drain back down into the spinning motor section.
The ammonia based older version does not have the compressor so you can put it on it's side easy enough, but I would still wait a bit before starting it.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve, I have a 1990 Westy, with the dometic RM-182b, which I believe is the last version they installed. I don't believe there's a compressor in there.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
VicVan wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:
djkeev wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Yes. I was thinking of later model fridges with a compressor. Compressor is a spinning motor so you want the oils to drain back down into the spinning motor section.
The ammonia based older version does not have the compressor so you can put it on it's side easy enough, but I would still wait a bit before starting it.

IIRC from my childhood, ammonia refrigerators should never be laid on their sides. This would be in reference to pre 1960 refrigerators though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 142 of 193

Jump to: