Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OPD compliant propane tanks
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinjakey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: OPD compliant propane tanks Reply with quote

I know there are some new rules requiring all propane tanks to have an overfill protection device (OPD) installed or they cannot legally be filled. I have a '87 westy with the stock tank that I have not filled since I bought the car. Anybody know if the stock tank is OPD compliant?
Thanks! -Kevin
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread on here a while ago that was talking about the the westies were exempt because of how the bottles mount or due to the fact that they are a permanent installation or something like that.

I wish I could find it........

Have you tried to get it filled?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i second what earthmuffin says. there is some reason why they are exempt. i've had mine filled all around the country and never had a problem-don't sweat it.
DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy tanks have a bleed screw that has to be opened to fill them. This bleed screw also prevents the tanks from being overfilled. If tank pressure goes up - the bleed screw vents (even when closed).

Unlike BBQ propane tanks.. (unil they came out with OPD)..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the info. If your propane supplier will not fill it, have him READ the law.

http://www.recvehicle.com/propane.html
kevinjakey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.
No, I haven't tried to have it filled yet. A friend suggested I might have problems as he thought it might not be OPD compliant so I thought I'd simply ask the group.
Thanks again for the info!
-Kevin
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a redundant post since everyone else has said the same thing but I just wanted to say that I've never had any propane dealer refuse fill mine.

I have had several of them grumble because they've got to lay on the ground to get at the tank Evil or Very Mad
Hal87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not to be contrairian, but Go Westy seems to think it is a pretty big deal; check this link. http://www.gowesty.com/lptank_story.htm Personally, the only experience I have in this area is with the backyard BBQ, so advice from the "experts" would be much appreciated.

Richard
Volvofan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal87 wrote:
Well, not to be contrairian, but Go Westy seems to think it is a pretty big deal; check this link. http://www.gowesty.com/lptank_story.htm Personally, the only experience I have in this area is with the backyard BBQ, so advice from the "experts" would be much appreciated.

Richard

Not to be a pessimist but they are also the ones selling the "new" replacement tank... perhaps that has something to do with their article.. I mean they do mention it and it's price at least twice.. sounds more like a sales pitch than anything...
Sean
kevinjakey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with the conspiracy theory regarding 'you gotta buy one of these new fangled tanks right now! the safety of the world depends on it!'
So for me I think the bottom line is I'll buy a new tank when nobody will fill the old one and the guy down at the propane store quits taking bribes....
-Kevin
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tanks need to be recertified every now and then? Excuse my ignorance, but I am new Westy owner. Mine looks to be the OG tank and is now a tad over 20 years old. My van is being painted and I am thinking of taking it off to clean it up. Paint it silver again and so on. I don't think you can just keep filling them decade after decade and not inspect them. It is a pressure vessel. I know almost nothing about then so I may just spewing so excuse me as I am a nub. Don't they need to be checked?
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Don't tanks need to be recertified every now and then? Excuse my ignorance, but I am new Westy owner. Mine looks to be the OG tank and is now a tad over 20 years old. My van is being painted and I am thinking of taking it off to clean it up. Paint it silver again and so on. I don't think you can just keep filling them decade after decade and not inspect them. It is a pressure vessel. I know almost nothing about then so I may just spewing so excuse me as I am a nub. Don't they need to be checked?

Yes you are quite correct, they should be checked for serviceablity just like everything else. The one one my westy is ratty looking to, when I run out of propane I will be taking it apart and cleaning/painting it.
The first time you go to an rv place that is not used to Westy's, you may get the run around about filling it, not becuase they can't but because they are Unfamiliar with it. Some have takin to fibbing and using this as an excuse. Rolling Eyes
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whose does the checking? I can "look" at the tank as well as the next. But, I recall we had to get some tanks checked somehow and a tag affixed or a stamping stating it was checked or something like that. Is that the sort of check you refer too?
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most are white when new. Years ago, my "Autostop" valve quit working. It was aluminum and I think it had some corrosion issues. I refurbed my tank with a fresh coat of white and replaced the fill valve and bleed valve from a regular type RV fixed mount tank.

At another time my single regulator failed. I replaced it with a dual that takes up about an inch more space. I was able to tweek the copper lines so they still fit. Somewhere on the net i've since seen a nice write-up on how to do it.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No just check everything yourself, GoWesty sells parts, so do local rv places. You don't have to have any type of "official" inspection.
Hal87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BBQ tanks always needed to be "hydro-pressure tested", or some similar sounding thing (containing the word "hydro") to be recertified, and the "Bob Scott RV" link seems to say the same for Westy tanks. I mean, wouldn't "recertification" involve more than a periodic visual inspection? As r39o mentions, "it is a pressure vessel" after all. Really, I have no expertise with the testing, as I always bought a new BBQ tank at Costco rather than go through the whole testing rigmarole; the Westy tanks are more than an order of magnitude more expensive than the Costco tanks, however, and I really don't feel like shelling out the $315 for a new tank-- this makes the testing seem a lot more appealing.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my tank out this weekend. Most of my interior is coming out for cleaning (nasty heatrer leak mess) and putting in insulation. Yes, the tank was white under all the dirt. Some paint did come off, too.

I took the tank to the big propne dealer and they are recertifying it for another 5 years. My valve is leaking and they are putting another one in ( saw it bubbling on the test stand). It has a new pressure releif (375 psi) and valve like original for like $12. Based on the other posts I may put a new regulator in too. The one in there was a two stage and a new one is $21. I am thinking I will replace that too. BTW: Tank is fine and is going to certified for another 5 years.

Now what about that Autostop? GoWesty spins a horror tail about that too. Emm. The experts (Hank Hill types) should hopefully advise about that too.

BTW: Our tanks, like many, are exempt from the OPD because it already has one. It is the Autostop.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not happy with the propane dealer, because they really did not instill much confidence, I went with my tank to another place. This place specializes in all things related to pressure vessels and gases for industrial use. As a side thing they have services for Propane. I had the expert there check and evaluate my tank. We tested all the functions. We verified the (new) valve, regulator and the Autostop operation. All work just as they should.

In regards to the Autostop, if it were to be malfunctioning they could either fix it or put some other gizmos in that would allow safe use and filling of the tank. I have read stories about them malfunctioning. Mine works just fine.

Our Manchester brand (http://www.mantank.com) tanks are ASME certified tanks which basically translate to way way overkill. In fact, you do not have to inspect them for the first 12 years. Then only visually in 5 year intervals. The other kinds of tests for propane tanks are for the cheapie BBQ kind. Translation: These tanks are bullet proof and no need to worry unless they are very heavily rusted. Now I have to paint mine. Any paint will do. Rustoleum is just fine he said.

Total cost? $40 repair with new valve and cerifcate at the first propane dealer and then a $10 minimum fill and operational check at the expert place. That is much, much better than the $300+ GoWesty cost and I have the satisfaction of knowing exactly how my tank is supposed to work now.
Hal87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is much, much better than the $300+ GoWesty cost and I have the satisfaction of knowing exactly how my tank is supposed to work now.

As do we! Thanks for the info.

Richard
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been 5 or 6 years for me the last time i had a camper. i know this is old posts but i am thinking about buying a 80 camper. after looking the tank and all the plumbing over can i still get it filled or will a have to get it updated?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: