Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to install a winch to VanCafe Big Bumpers???
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: How to install a winch to VanCafe Big Bumpers??? Reply with quote

Shopping for a winch... but first Wondering if anyone has succesfully mounted a winch to these bumpers and how they went about doing it. not sure what these brackets are designed for...(only for license-plates?) see pic. Thx
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a winch to VanCafe Big Bumpers??? Reply with quote

Those tabs are meant for driving lights. It would be best to mount the winch to the actual bumper, under that diamond plate.

I believe Gary Lee makes a bracket to mount a winch straight to the bumper, only question is if your new bumper cover would fit over it.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a winch to VanCafe Big Bumpers??? Reply with quote

Unfortunately the Gary Lee winch mount probably won't work with the VC tube bumpers(along with others) without modifications.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a winch to VanCafe Big Bumpers??? Reply with quote

I installed a receiver to the front. It works great and I can move it to the rear when needed.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a winch to VanCafe Big Bumpers??? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I installed a receiver to the front. It works great and I can move it to the rear when needed.

Now thats a bumper :O Mind sending me / or posting a closeup pic of the front receiver / show more how the winch looks up there. ?
T3TRIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to install a winch to VanCafe Big Bumpers??? Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I'd love to revive this. Ron we have a similar bumper than what you had in these photos. Obviously you've gone with other bumpers now and are using the cradle front and back, but do you have more details on this setup?

I'm always tempted with the clean spare-tire location winch setup (which I understand has some pretty good downsides: access when the front is stuck, untangling the line, using the clutch).

Anyhow, something mounted on the front might just be more realistic.

T3TRIS

1987 Syncro GL converted to poptop
- 1994 Subaru EJ22
- Transaxle rebuild
- 215/75-R15
- Mexico paint job
- Front end rebuild

Fun off-roading
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: