Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound deadening
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Sound deadening Reply with quote

I remember seeing a thread a while back on different sound deadening techniques and products. Did anybody bookmark or short cut that thread?
The air is getting cooler and all by little squeaks and creaks are coming back for the winter season Rolling Eyes

I checked Home Depot this weekend and all they had was fiberglass and rigid insulation board.

I remember someone posting photos of some sort of foil backed adhesive material on the thread. Anybody remember what it was or where I might find it.
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112637
Dan J Reed used the stuff from home depot with good results,
I think Its a type of roof sealer/flashing.
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some stuff from Lowe's (couldn't find it at Home depot) but is is a flashing material that you will find in the roofing section. I think it was called Leak Stopper. It's a 6" roll by about 30' long for pretty cheap. It's aluminum with a mastic backing that's pretty thick. I did a door and the front section when I had my dash out and plan to do all the other doors and floor. It works great! Now I shut my door and it's a solid THUD instead of a hollow metal can sound. I think it's only $15 a roll, so it's cheap ehough and works awesome.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys Wink
I guess that'll be my weekend project.
lordsniff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that to mine .
I used the Lowes stuff and found it OK .
Just one thing I had to do was use some spray adhesive in some places where the backing wasn't quite strong enough .
I did the same as Mightyart but I also put some material on the inside of the door and found that to be an improvement .
So far I have done the front doors and the sliding door and I have also covered the engine deck and lid .
I plan to do the dash and rear hatch and insides .
A lot of work which I doubt could afford if I had to use Dynamart .
The Lowes stuff is so cheap . Wink

2001 Honda
ekv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a product called Peel n Seal. it comes in a variety of sizes, from 6" wide to 24" wide. last i checked $12 for a 6"x24ft roll i believe in seattle. there was another generic brand, 4"x30 feet for $6 right next to it. looks the same.

fatmat has come highly recommended to me, and for what you can buy for $100 that should be enough to do an entire van. though it comes in large sheets. the peel n seal stuff was actually nice to have in small widths when doing tight work between the bodywork. www.fatmat.com
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you use be sure it can't wick_trap moisture. Reverse rustout will haunt you.
tgrogan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some of the Accustamat(?) material on mine and it worked well on the exterior walls, but it is expensive. I got the equivalent from JCW at about 1/2 the price. It worked for sound deadening on the floors, but was a lot harder to apply. I used a heat gun and rolled it into place slowly and painfully. It hasn't delaminated and it really works for sound deadening. I used something else over top of the accustamat from JCW that is a fiber mat backed with aluminum that was very easy to apply with spray adhesive. Overall there is probably not a quieter air-cooled Vanagon around. I have to open my rear windows to hear what kind of noises are coming from the engine. The bad part is trying to tell when to shift without looking at the speedometer.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been putting in the stuff from the above referenced post. I also used some duct tape to hold it better in places. Here it is

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, r390, I used that same FrostKing duct insulation on the inside of my front door panels. It seems to work pretty well. I got mine from Home Depot.

How well is that sticking to the metal?

1980 VW Westfalia
stumpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: sound deading Reply with quote

Here's an Idea Idea Has anyone thought about using Rubberized Roofing for sound deadning???? I don't know what the weight is. I will check it out when I get around to do my Vanagon. I know it has an adheasive back on it Laughing
VanGo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear heater leaked all over the rear of my 89 Westy so in the midst of replacing all the flooring I painted from driver seat to rear enine hatch ,including walls,with this stuff.

http://www.quietcar.net/

Seems expensive at first , $70/gal, but I still have 30% left to do the front doors. Really makes the panels go "thud" instead of "clang". Also traps sound and makes the rear seat compartment like a bass box with 2 6X9's and a bazooka tube. BOOM,BOOM, I tell ya.

When you realise everything is made of light, you are enlightened
FRITO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a professional mobile audio installer and done reccomend "peel and seal" or any other roofing material sold at lowes or home depot. it has chemicals in it that are dangerous for an incar enviroment, and its adheison quality on anything other that a horizontal floor surface is poor and with fail on hot days.

I know the owners of both these companies and highly reccomend their products. they are straight up guys and have superior products.

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/
http://www.RAAMaudio.com/

also a great source : http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Luke
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRITO wrote:
im a professional mobile audio installer and done reccomend "peel and seal" or any other roofing material sold at lowes or home depot. it has chemicals in it that are dangerous for an incar enviroment,

I used insulation for insulation and sound deadening for sound deadening. Suggesting that the materials used are hazardous is funny as the materials are designed for interior use. Please be more specific as to what is so hazardous to our collective healthes please.

FRITO wrote:
and its adheison quality on anything other that a horizontal floor surface is poor and with fail on hot days.

I put the stuff on during the hot So Cal Summer. It did not fall off. I had inside temps well over 100 a few dozen times while the van was parked at work. At what temp does the stuff fall off?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a really cheap, quick, half assed, job that will still make a big difference, just put some foam carpet padding over the rear deck above the engine. Made a huge difference in mine. I'll do the dynomat sort of stuff later.
FRITO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
I used insulation for insulation and sound deadening for sound deadening. Suggesting that the materials used are hazardous is funny as the materials are designed for interior use. Please be more specific as to what is so hazardous to our collective healthes please.

peel n seal is asphalt based, its made for you roof on your house. it is possible some chemicals in it can cause cancer. and on real hot days that asphault heats up and release those chemicals and suddenly you have asphalt odors in your car...

this website will explain it in full detail: http://www.professionalroofing.net/article.aspx?A_ID=529

r39o wrote:

I put the stuff on during the hot So Cal Summer. It did not fall off. I had inside temps well over 100 a few dozen times while the van was parked at work. At what temp does the stuff fall off?

the stuff should be rated by temperature and time on the poackage, most asphalt bassed stuff is rated that way. it may last the first 2 summers at 100 degrees then the third summer it can fail at 80 degrees lets say. its all dependant of that actual product and how well it was applied adds to the factor. it can also become really brittle with cooler temperatures and come off with normal vibrations from driving.

I would never put anything like peel n seel in one of my vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with frito asphalt in an inclosed space(like a car) is a bad idea.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the "great source : http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ " and understand. OK I get it. Thing is, I did NOT use asphalt based productis. I used the "Butyl with a non-asphalt filler" (see picture) stuff for insulation. and used the Juliano's OEM GM sound deadening material.

I have no smells and the stuff is quite sticky on the side walls of the van no matter how hot it is. I measured my inside temp today in the 94 F heat with all the windows shut at 112F today in the direct sun by looking at the indoor/outoor thermometer just a short bit ago. Then I opened the door and stuck my nose near the various materials. I could not smell any of the VOCs that are mentioned in other places. I guess the fact that we are under 158F might have something to say too. But, the Frost King stuff is rubbery with no asphalt filler and aluminum covering designed for indoor use.

Point is I choose wisely. Only issue the aluminum does not stick so well and I used duct tape to keep it in place better.

-W

cnskate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frito, thanks for the heads up on the roofing stuff. I have enough indoor air quality problems as it is.
FRITO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem... the asphalt based deadeners will never make into my vehicles. the butyl rubber is better, and personally I like liquid sound deadning above all. can get messy but prep is key. and you dont have to worry about it falling off or smelling or rusting underneath due to moisture. take a look at second skin spectrum. here are some pictures of my camry: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/217862/15 *note that was a trial batch I used on my car from Anthony (owner of second skin) . the new final product is much better.

the frost king stuff sounds like its better than peel n seal, but throughout the country it seems each Lowes and or Homedepot has their own name for the same product. keep us updated if anything does happen.

Luke
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: