Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone got a spare emblem?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The End.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hank22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the Manx owners here would probably know the answer to this question;

Back in the day, did anyone try to market a "Mannix" Buggy, or a "Minx", or some other clone of the name itself? Seems like somebody would at least try before getting bitch slapped by a patent attorney.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but to me it seems that both Siggy and jb are right but......tilting at windmills on this one. For people who value a Manx for what a Manx is, it is valuable, and they will pay a lot to have it juuuuust right. For those that don't, it's not. It's about that simple, and there is nothing wrong with either attitude, including a sense of disdain (mutual and omnidirectional it seems) for those who don't share it.

I think that the one thing that a Manx has is that it is the rather undisputed original, and had original build packages and accessories that make a particular car with a good build in particularly good shape with a chain of ownership, provenance and care worth marginally more than a clone of similar vintage in similar shape. All of this means more to a limited number of people for whom such things matter, and it is one of few kit cars with value in the larger collector car market. Therein lies the value of a Manx over the clones.

However, there are, in my opinion, many more clones that were a divergence from, and an improvements on, Bruce's original design, in both style and substance. Examples of which can be seen here every day. Some of which, as jb points out, are more rare than a Manx. Realizing and admitting that that doesn't take anything away from the original, as there can only be one of those. That is the place that Bruce's kits will always hold and this cannot be taken from them, and this is a key component of their value. Despite that, there are still new posts here on a regular basis about how another one has been found in a field somewhere, totally neglected, so we all know that there are legions of people who don't know a Manx from an Imp or a Kyote, or place any value on them at all.

So......some of us need the stinking badges....some of us don't. And when it comes down to it, I dont care what flavor it is as long as someone has the time, energy and inclination to bring it back to life and take care of it like it deserves.

I gotta come up with something better to do on a Friday night.....
jbreddawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,your wrong about me as I am most likely wrong about you. I apologize if I made any crude comments.

I'm actually enjoying a nice debate.

A person who buys an item that holds it's value is a smart man.
I am the kind of person who will dump thousands and thousands of dollars into a toy ,sometimes enjoy it for awhile and lose my ass when I sell it ,but thats ok with me.
I have a theory I taught my son . If you buy a car for 5000.00 and drive it for five years ,you can then drive it into a canal and you have lost nothing.You got your monies worth out of it.

I do enjoy having brand name items and would love to have a harley fatboy one day but I certainly dont need to buy one to prove anything about who I am or just that I can afford one.

By the way,I own a Viper Buggy by B& N fiberglass in ohio . Probably rarer then a manx. Makes no difference to me,I bought it cause I love the style of it. I'll probably have ten grand into a 5 grand buggy when Im done
but to me it's the cost of my enjoyment that I'm more then willing to pay for.

fred69vert wrote:
Enough torque to pull the panties off a nun.

RCros wrote:
Sometimes I have more balls than talent.
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbreddawg wrote:
SiggyManx#33 wrote:

People that are a**holes, are gonna be a**holes regarless of whether or not the drive a Manx, wear a Rolex or own a Harley. How do you feel about people that own Ferarri's?

If you are insinuating that I drive a Meyers Manx because it's a status symbol, your wrong. 99.9% of the people that I see on the street have no idea of what it is and have never heard of Meyers Manx. I've found that most folks that own dune buggies (manx or others) do so because it's a fun car to drive and not the type of car that you valet at the country club.

No need to get your panties in a wad over expensive badges or their availability when you'll never own a Manx. I've seen so many people over the years in this hobby that hate on Meyers Manx owners until they find a Manx. Then they think it's the greatest thing ever.

Don't hate the player,.......

I've know a couple Ferrari owners in the past,they were actually pretty cool guys.

I never insinuated you were one of those guys ,you might just be the coolest guy around . But.... with comments like
Quote:
No need to get your panties in a wad over expensive badges or their availability when you'll never own a Manx.

and
Quote:

Kinda says it all Rolling Eyes

I would probably buy a manx if I ran across one. That way I could restore it and sell it to some guy for 10,000 when he could have easily bought an equally impressive no name buggy for 5,000 . But hey ,at least he bought admission to the club Rolling Eyes

I'm far more involved in this conversation then I care to be. I'd just like to know why you're concerned about the availability and cost of Meyers Manx items when you say you would never buy a Manx? Then you say you would buy a Manx to resell it, then you take a dig at the Club.

Are you reading what your writing? I doesn't make sense.

You sound like the typical guy that goes out and spends too much money on a buggy restore knowing it's not going to hold it's value. Meanwhile genuine Meyers Manx items are increasing in value and you're a bit jaded.

Again, don't hate the player....hate the game.

If I'm wrong about you, I'll apologize in advance.
jbreddawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:

People that are a**holes, are gonna be a**holes regarless of whether or not the drive a Manx, wear a Rolex or own a Harley. How do you feel about people that own Ferarri's?

If you are insinuating that I drive a Meyers Manx because it's a status symbol, your wrong. 99.9% of the people that I see on the street have no idea of what it is and have never heard of Meyers Manx. I've found that most folks that own dune buggies (manx or others) do so because it's a fun car to drive and not the type of car that you valet at the country club.

No need to get your panties in a wad over expensive badges or their availability when you'll never own a Manx. I've seen so many people over the years in this hobby that hate on Meyers Manx owners until they find a Manx. Then they think it's the greatest thing ever.

I've know a couple Ferrari owners in the past,they were actually pretty cool guys.

I never insinuated you were one of those guys ,you might just be the coolest guy around . But.... with comments like
Quote:
No need to get your panties in a wad over expensive badges or their availability when you'll never own a Manx.

and
Quote:

Kinda says it all Rolling Eyes

I would probably buy a manx if I ran across one. That way I could restore it and sell it to some guy for 10,000 when he could have easily bought an equally impressive no name buggy for 5,000 . But hey ,at least he bought admission to the club Rolling Eyes

fred69vert wrote:

RCros wrote:
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
You forgot Mannix too Wink I hear a lot of that at shows as well..then when you go to correct them, they still say it their way

You're right, they're always popular!

http://flint.craigslist.org/cto/2090267995.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2108169892.html
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

Nonsense, everyone knows the fabulous Mires Manx, or the even more famous Minx.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2112799476.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2107479905.html

http://mohave.craigslist.org/mcy/2082406780.html
You forgot Mannix too Wink I hear a lot of that at shows as well..then when you go to correct them, they still say it their way
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same lines as all sodas are Coke, all facial tissue is Kleenex, and all Chryslers have a Hemi.

Before I put my car in another show, and have to explain over and over how it is not a Manx, I have to get the Sears catalog cover that shows the Rascal on it and put that on display. On second thought, wait a minute...that picture is of Bruce and Winnie in a Manx.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:
99.9% of the people that I see on the street have no idea of what it is and have never heard of Meyers Manx. ..

Nonsense, everyone knows the fabulous Mires Manx, or the even more famous Minx.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2112799476.html

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2107479905.html

http://mohave.craigslist.org/mcy/2082406780.html
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
SiggyManx#33 wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:

Usually the only people who disagree with the way I'm thinking are the ones who own one of said product.
I dont have any issues with a quality product,just some of the attitudes that come along with them.
It seems to me that a few manx owners fit the stereotype quite well. Not all mind you,just some.
I can't agree more JBred...you say not all but I say most..these type of topics are always argued by the same people everytime, and they get locked or removed quickly too.

Interesting, I always thought the same thing about Jeep owners.

Haha...whatever Rolling Eyes
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
SiggyManx#33 wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:

Usually the only people who disagree with the way I'm thinking are the ones who own one of said product.
I dont have any issues with a quality product,just some of the attitudes that come along with them.
It seems to me that a few manx owners fit the stereotype quite well. Not all mind you,just some.
I can't agree more JBred...you say not all but I say most..these type of topics are always argued by the same people everytime, and they get locked or removed quickly too.

Interesting, I always thought the same thing about Jeep owners.
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbreddawg wrote:
SiggyManx#33 wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
B.F. Meyers & co. went out of busness back in'71. they dont have to sell us anything.

Then why is it an issue if someone else reproduces them ?

Hudson doesn't make Hornet emblems either, but you can't make them either, someone (Chrysler) owns the rights.

True,but If I was the pioneer of the fiberglass buggy and was still alive long enough to see them being collected and enjoyed by so many enthusiasts then I would have zero problem with them being reproduced to keep the manx alive.

Look at any other highly collectible car out there and you can find just about any reproduction part you can dream of.What makes the manx so different ?

I love the manx's but won't own one for the same reason I wont own a harley or a rolex.

You're not the pioneer of the fiberglass dune buggy so the point is moot. The Manx is alive and well regardless of the availability of aftermarket badges.

What makes the Manx different is there were a few thousand bodies made by one company, owned by one man. From that a whole industry sprung up that copied his idea and ripped off his design. Bruce Meyers owes dune buggy hobbyist nothing.

I'm not sure that I understand your point about a Meyers Manx, Rolex and Harleys. Are you saying that you don't like name brand products that are enjoyed by cult like followings? or you just don't like quality products? or you don't like people that like quality products...or all of the above?

Actually I own tons of brand name quality products. I have also owned a few cult following vehicles .
But... I am not above buying a non brand name quality product that will perform as good or better then the same brand name cult followed product.

I like some harleys, I love the manx's "I think Rolex's are ugly"
I do not nor will not own something simply because it's a status symbol .If I buy something it's because I like it not because I have something to prove to everyone around me who sees me wearing it or riding/driving it.
The harley guy I used to work with said the only reason I didnt own a harley was because I couldnt afford one. Funny considering the yamaha warrior I owned cost more then his harley.

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbreddawg wrote:
SiggyManx#33 wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:

jbreddawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiggyManx#33 wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
B.F. Meyers & co. went out of busness back in'71. they dont have to sell us anything.

Hudson doesn't make Hornet emblems either, but you can't make them either, someone (Chrysler) owns the rights.

True,but If I was the pioneer of the fiberglass buggy and was still alive long enough to see them being collected and enjoyed by so many enthusiasts then I would have zero problem with them being reproduced to keep the manx alive.

Look at any other highly collectible car out there and you can find just about any reproduction part you can dream of.What makes the manx so different ?

I love the manx's but won't own one for the same reason I wont own a harley or a rolex.

You're not the pioneer of the fiberglass dune buggy so the point is moot. The Manx is alive and well regardless of the availability of aftermarket badges.

What makes the Manx different is there were a few thousand bodies made by one company, owned by one man. From that a whole industry sprung up that copied his idea and ripped off his design. Bruce Meyers owes dune buggy hobbyist nothing.

I'm not sure that I understand your point about a Meyers Manx, Rolex and Harleys. Are you saying that you don't like name brand products that are enjoyed by cult like followings? or you just don't like quality products? or you don't like people that like quality products...or all of the above?

Actually I own tons of brand name quality products. I have also owned a few cult following vehicles .
But... I am not above buying a non brand name quality product that will perform as good or better then the same brand name cult followed product.

I like some harleys, I love the manx's "I think Rolex's are ugly"
I do not nor will not own something simply because it's a status symbol .If I buy something it's because I like it not because I have something to prove to everyone around me who sees me wearing it or riding/driving it.
The harley guy I used to work with said the only reason I didnt own a harley was because I couldnt afford one. Funny considering the yamaha warrior I owned cost more then his harley.

fred69vert wrote:

RCros wrote:
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10ovr wrote:
Talking to Winnie last week,,She says new ones are in the works,,They do want you to prove you have a real Manx

10ovr made the post above in this thread last month.

The only reason Meyers Manx Inc. ever quit selling emblems was that the quality they received from their supplier became unacceptable. They have pursued new sources. If you want an emblem for your authenticated Manx, contact Winnie and tell her you are eager to buy one when they are done.
SiggyManx#33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:

EVO3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxcraig wrote:
But I will admit I get ticked off when I see Manx emblems on buggys that obviously arn't, kind of like a Chevy bowtie on a Ford or a Honda nameplate on a Toyota. Why would you want to do that? (unless you want to cheat a buyer)

By this same thinking, i guess you get ticked off when you see someone with a Lamborghini , or Ferrari kit car. Why? Does it make your Manx worth any less just because there are a few fake ones rolling around the country? I dont think so. With all the fake Rolex watches floating around, a Real Rolex still retains its worth.

My thoughts on why Mr. Meyers may not produce anyomore badges is cost of production. Plain and simple. He would have to make thousands of them to make it cost effective and affordable to the consumer. I dont belive that there is enough demand (among real Manx owners) to produce such a run. Now, if he were to sell them to anyone and everyone, a huge run of badges would make sense, but we know he wants to keep it limited to only real manx owners. So for that reason alone, i can see where hes coming from. However, i dont agree with that train of thought. I dont see Ferrari or any other car company only selling emblems to certain people.

What they are doing is cutting off their noses to spite their face. As someone that runs a small business, i see this as a missed oportunity to make some capitol. In this economic climate, you need to take advantage of things like this to keep your shop doors open. Just my two cents.
jbreddawg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manxcraig wrote:
jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:

fred69vert wrote:

RCros wrote:
manxcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbreddawg wrote:
manxcraig wrote:

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: