Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Prep for my AC hose routing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stacy

Notice you're doing the passenger side, interesting.

Consider running through the frame rail those holes in the engine run all the way up to the front.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

eskachig wrote:
djkeev wrote:
No, no you shouldn't use silicone sealer on those bolts or any other spot on your Van.

Silicone had a fantastic PR firm that has convinced us that silicone is the greatest thing ever invented!
Truth be told, silicone fails miserably after a short period of time, especially when used out of doors.
Look at any older bead of silicone, it has yellowed, collects dirt like a magnet and lets go of where it was applied.
As a bonus it leaves behind a microscopic layer of silicone film that nothing will adhere to except silicone!

There are far better products on the market that will last for decades.
OLd fashioned DumDum (strips of rubbery tar) come to mind, Lexel is an amazing long term product and one of my favorites.
If you must use silicone, get a siliconized paintable caulk, not pure silicone.

Ok...... anti-silicone rant is over.

Dave

I share your distrust of the stuff, tbh.

That said, do you recommend anything else for the speedometer/grease cap situation? Clearly something is needed, but yes, silicone goes to shit a little too easily.

I put a small dab of black E6000 over the C-clip and end of speedo cable to keep out dust and water, and it also keeps that C-clip from disappearing when you go to remove it again.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Holes drilled, I hate drilling holes. I looked at running them in the rail but with connectors on you would never get them in the rail. These are far enough out of the way they are not going to get hit.

Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RicMcK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Over the past few weeks. New Brake Master Cylinder, inspection of the entire braking system R&R CV Joints, LED light bar for DRL. Removed, cleaned front carpets and re-glued them. Installed a Rostra cruise control. Made a outside table mount to the jack. Fitted GW rain fly. R&R skylight opener, added pop top lift struts.

I've been lucky as the weather in Seattle has been dry, (have to work outside [no garage] ) but sadly there's no skiing.
2006 TDI Jetta
1936 Ford Pick up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Giving my '86 L90D [R1] Westy some love today. Soon to install a diesel heater, looking for a better tank than I have on my '87. I saw some tanks that look like Rotopax in a 20L flat long size. I thought it might fit opposite the LP tank, which is just about 13 inches wide. It didn't quite fit. I know I can heat the plastic up and squash it, but I don't think I will just yet.

I did toss it up in the luggage rack, its plenty small enough for there, in fact there is a 30L tank that I believe will fit just fine up there. I've got free returns on this one, maybe I'll see about that one if I don't follow through with this next crazy idea: just behind the 2WD fuel tank there seems to be a lot of room. This 20L version easily fits above the low edge of the main rails, lots of room above for the E-brake, and throttle cable. Really seems optimal, but of course, likely not "wise"

Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I agree -- not wise. Not sure how you would refill the tank without removing it first. Seems like a hassle. To quote the wise idiom, "Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it".

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

And here is illustrated why I wouldn't do a diesel heater.

Let's see......
tank of gasoline to power the Van? Check!
Tank of propane to cook with and operate refrigeration? Check!
I know! Let's add a third tank of fuel I need to carry!

Good luck, but me and my Van..... no thank you.
Besides, diesel stinks to high heaven and I want no part of it. I don't even refuel my gasoline from a pump that dispenses diesel too. Diesel is often spilled all over the ground (God only knows why?) and my shoes smell like diesel when I get back in the vehicle! (Not to mention in the warm months I drive barefoot)

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I agree about the stink. I also agree how the area around the diesel pumps at the station are yucky. I think the difference is that diesel just hangs around, like a grease, vs gasoline spills evaporate and are (mostly) gone fairly quickly.

My method of filling a tanks such as this would be to install a marine hookup. I like the Johnson type. On my '87, I do already have a marine tank, and I don't like it, because it hangs down nearly as low as the LP tanks does, but on the passenger side. I have an electric transfer pump that I clip onto the marine hookup of the tank. I keep the tank fastened to the underside of the '87 and don't take it off to fill it. I run the electric pump from a power port, like on the dash, or my jump pack. All fuel stays outside of the bus.

It is not ideal. I just want to make an improvement on the placement, as I am already NOT wise in how I am doing the first one.

-bobby
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Diesel also foams when it is pumped into a container it spews forth a foamy stinky mess.

It requires great care to fill diesel, slowing the rate as it fills until you are adding just a trickle at the end.

It requires paying attention, it requires time...... you actually need to put your phone down for a few minutes!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

R1 bus was exhibiting symptoms that all seemed to point at the ignition switch going bad. Things such as turning the key to start, and waiting for maybe a full second before hearing the starter engage and crank. Then a few days ago, I had the headlights fail to be lighting but the parking lights be parking lights (on) with switch in middle or full headlights on positions. Some research expressed concerns with the ignition switch, some with the headlights switch, and others with poor grounds. Since I had already been suspicious of the ignition switch, I did that today.

So, that wasn't the full fix. I got the steering wheel off, the cowl, and all the stuff that needs removed to replace the ignition switch. That sure is a lot of fun. But it was nice out, and the sun was shining on me. Sometimes 39F can sure seem warm. This particular December 29th having the sun beating on me and feeling all warm and fuzzy was disconcerting somehow.

So, when I reassembled the steering column and got everything reattached, I was fairly perturbed when the headlights didn't flip on with the headlights switch, grrrr...

So, next I went to fiddling with the headlight switch. Luckily, I have a couple "spares" as in, I robbed them from where they were lying dormant in other buses. I know... Not cool... Anyway, as I was working the plug out of the switch back, I saw a flash of lights for a brief moment before the plug came away from the switch. The veritable "ah-hah" moment!!! Since the original switch was my original concern, as it had refused to be turned from anything other than headlights-on, thus I had pulled the plug away from the switch to not drain the battery, I put in one from another bus that I had proven it fully functional in my Daily Driver.

So, the replacement headlights switch, with a bit of wiggling of the plug block, has resolved the headlights issue. All reassembled, and ready for the next mission.

Oh, and the previous ignition switch, and headlights switch went back in the utensils drawer... I think they are both probably fine. At least as spares, for now.

-bobby
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not much happening lately in this section. But I got one tiny little thing done on the van today. Been missing a screen for my slider, got a good deal on a used one off FB group. I’ll put it down as a small winter victory, looking forward to using it.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Nothing elaborate for a change.... Laughing Laughing Checked transmission fluid level- removed and washed the Carhartt Seat Cover for the Rear Bench seat.
Pulled a few leaves off from under the wiper blades[ it's uncanny how they attract leaves.... Razz Razz ]
Filled up the Gas Tank and drove around town quite a bit this weekend.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I finally got the whole picture of how to route my CDH hot duct to blow out of the kitchen face plate. I had been putting it off a long time, trying to see if I could somehow hide it at the back of some cabinet, etc. but in the end, I got my jigsaw and trimmed the support spar at the back of the fridge cabinet area. Just enough to give the duct another inch to clear the stock fridge coils. So, then I put the fridge back in too.

Next, I need to decide if I am willing to see if my only other spare black dash vent will go into the kitchen face plate, of if I get to take the face plate to a Heating specialty store and find a metal one. The black plastic Vs. brown plastic front dash vent melting debate (from the CDH thread) saw my first black vent get double hands down... It is junked. Only slightly humorous, and at that, only whimsically so.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
I finally got the whole picture of how to route my CDH hot duct to blow out of the kitchen face plate. I had been putting it off a long time, trying to see if I could somehow hide it at the back of some cabinet, etc. but in the end, I got my jigsaw and trimmed the support spar at the back of the fridge cabinet area. Just enough to give the duct another inch to clear the stock fridge coils. So, then I put the fridge back in too.

Next, I need to decide if I am willing to see if my only other spare black dash vent will go into the kitchen face plate, of if I get to take the face plate to a Heating specialty store and find a metal one. The black plastic Vs. brown plastic front dash vent melting debate (from the CDH thread) saw my first black vent get double hands down... It is junked. Only slightly humorous, and at that, only whimsically so.
Don't rule out Marine Supply places, or other supply houses for a metal vent. Just a thought.. Think Think
here's an interesting place.
https://ventmastersstore.com/
RicMcK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed engine and transaxel. Then broke down the motor. Case (0.05
5mm over), cam & heads sent to Rocky Jennings.
Crank { [0/0] but needs to be ground 1/2mm as there are no 0.5/0 main bearings} sent to CA to be ground. Rocky will do his magic to everything. I will be making it a 2.2.

Transaxel sent to German Transaxel in Bend, OR. I think it has about 220k on it and don't want the failed 3/4 or pinon gear failure. It's a bummer VW changed the design on 3/4. My old 70 bus went over 700k with no transaxel issues.

Next, will be to strip in fire wall insulation, de-rust and paint, then add starter grounding strap.

What color(s) should I paint the intake plenum, & manifolds?

If I mount my enternal oil cooler (with thermostat flow valve filter sandwich plate) on the fire wall above the transaxel do I have to worry about the oil draining out of it? Suggestions on how to pre-full it with oil before start up?
2006 TDI Jetta
1936 Ford Pick up
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

RicMcK wrote:
Crank { [0/0] but needs to be ground 1/2mm as there are no 0.5/0 main bearings} sent to CA to be ground. Rocky will do his magic to everything. I will be making it a 2.2.

Transaxel sent to German Transaxel in Bend, OR. I think it has about 220k on it and don't want the failed 3/4 or pinon gear failure. It's a bummer VW changed the design on 3/4. My old 70 bus went over 700k with no transaxel issues.

Next, will be to strip in fire wall insulation, de-rust and paint, then add starter grounding strap.

If I mount my enternal oil cooler (with thermostat flow valve filter sandwich plate) on the fire wall above the transaxel do I have to worry about the oil draining out of it? Suggestions on how to pre-full it with oil before start up?
Your choice on the paint colors. Some people go all out, others like me just used what paint they had on hand... Razz

I have the basic 10 Cent/ Chris Corkins Oil Cooler Kit. I don't worry about the oil draining from the hoses when doing a oil/filter. His cooler mounts all the way over to the right side air intake , above the stock air filter location behind the right tail light basically.
Never had an issue with that system. Picture below was recent engine install. I went with Gloss Black.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
RicMcK wrote:

Your choice on the paint colors. Some people go all out, others like me just used what paint they had on hand... Razz

I have the basic 10 Cent/ Chris Corkins Oil Cooler Kit. I don't worry about the oil draining from the hoses when doing a oil/filter. His cooler mounts all the way over to the right side air intake , above the stock air filter location behind the right tail light basically.
Never had an issue with that system. Picture below was recent engine install. I went with Gloss Black.

Most rattle can paints are not at all resistant to gasoline.
Sure, it will look great today and for a short while but soon all of the petro-chemicals in your engines will begin to work their destructive magic on the paint.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Had mine powder-coated.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

shadetreemech wrote:
Had mine powder-coated.

Very nice, I don't have the money for Powder Coating at this time.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
RicMcK wrote:

Most rattle can paints are not at all resistant to gasoline.
Sure, it will look great today and for a short while but soon all of the petro-chemicals in your engines will begin to work their destructive magic on the paint.
I have not experienced that dire of paint degrading over the years. I thank you for your concern though.
Even Wurth Paint, which I'm pretty sure was just Lacquer, held up to my BMW engine bays year after year. With Salt spray from driving in the Winter being the main worry. Chicago over salts as a total norm. No Alderman wants to get called out in their Ward for missing out on Salt truck displays of 'taking care of their Constituents'. Smile Smile
At any rate, with as broke as we are currently, what ever rattle cans we had on hand, were going to be the only source and choice of Color when I was painting parts. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631  Next
Jump to:
Page 627 of 631

Jump to: