Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took us on one of our regular trips down to Kalispell Montana for shopping.
We stay two nights so we can bring back $1600 in goods without tax.
Propex kept us nice and toasty.

On the way home we were stopped at the US / Canadian border by about 50-60 Bighorn sheep as they crossed the road.
Not a great pic, by the time I pulled over and found the camera they were starting to scatter as people stopped to take pictures. I have a bunch of nice close ups but those don't show the bus Laughing .
This was one of three main groups. Customs is right behind us.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Oh well, here's one close up.

Fresh snow in mountains so they come down for the grass.
They are often here at this crossing but this was the largest group I've seen here.
Reminds me of the herds we used to see when I lived in Estes Park Colorado.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Wow! Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

Been waiting to see it, finally !!!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

More trailer duty. A neighbor cuts down her cannas every fall and offers the crop to my bride for her compost heap so we hooked up and went to drag the stuff home to be cut up and tossed into the cage. They're like cornstalks and provide a nice bunch of green to be mixed with the brown of the shredded fall leaves, at least that's what the gardener tells me. I just move stuff.

CowardVenus15
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

First trip! Took her to Yosemite. The mountains are a bit of a challenge for the air cooled motor but she made it.
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

CowardVenus15 wrote:
First trip! Took her to Yosemite. The mountains are a bit of a challenge for the air cooled motor but she made it.

That van looks remarkably rust-free. What's the 4th hookup box behind the door for?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedWingRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I brought it home last Saturday from Colorado Springs where Mountain Bus Werks had had it since April puttiing in a '98 Subaru Forester 2.5L four-banger in. I hadn't been able to find anyone who would work on the waterboxer.

For my first test drive yesterday I went from Dover up Arkansas 7 North to Ark16 and over to Ark27 and home again. It's about 90 miles. The bus pulls well up and goes down hills very well. Manual steering wasn't a problem even on the slowest switchbacks.
It's a little noisy and the motor is kinda busy because this engine's torque is well over the VW's. I'll be looking into doing something about that so I can get the mileage this engine should be able to get to.
The body seems tight, the stuff on the dash rattles as does the skylight as it loosens up. None of that is terribly objectional. I've ridden motorcycles most of my life so anything inside is pretty cushy.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

This time of year we're always on the lookout for pine tags that we can use to spread on the garden for the winter. Find a nice yard that has only pine trees in it and wait for bagging season. We have a couple of yards in the neighborhood that we monitor and this was the first to bag up.

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

RedWingRider wrote:
so I can get the mileage this engine should be able to get to.

Do you have a Scanguage or UltraGuage to know what temp your engine is running at? If less than 190F the ECU will prescribe an over-rich mixture and use more fuel (like 14-15 mpg). There's some funny business with the coolant return to the thermostat that you have to research (a restriction). I have a Syncro Westy, and rocketbox ontop and I get 17.5mpg with my EJ25.

Here's a temporary EJ25 running temp adjuster that you can set to "195°F".
There are better ways to do this. Wink I'm not the guy to ask (yet) because I still have this clamp.

The engine is pushing a brick now, it's not gonna get passenger-car MPGs.
Also be sure to "up your gearbox maintenance". 2x the power suggests 4x the oil cleanliness. That gearbox is very expensive to rebuild (properly) for double the HP.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
pine tags that we can use to spread on the garden for the winter.
That works well for a garden?
I always thought pine trees killed everything below (with their needles). Generally you don't see verdant growth under pine trees... (a desert).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
campism wrote:
pine tags that we can use to spread on the garden for the winter.
That works well for a garden?

My wife is the gardener and she uses pine tags and pine bark mulch interchangeably. All this stuff breaks down to enhance the soil. We also shred our copious oak leaves and compost them for use on the yard as well. I'm happy to haul stuff and keep her happy, and I let her worry about the specifics. What she does has worked for years; the yard seems to like it.

*edit*

Around here you generally find a carpet of needles and that's what kills the grass or other undergrowth. Kinda depends on which species of pine is needling.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My kids mentioned yesterday that it would be really nice to go and look at some ancient sites that aren't all that far from home. We stopped to ponder a river crossing to go to an undeclared section of the Effigy Mounds National Monument, it is still privately owned, and we have not been able to contact the present owners for permission. There is a very large Bear mound that can be seen from a lidar scan. Also in the area are vast outcrops of limestone and sandstone. We climbed along several cliff tops, and followed wildlife trails (mostly deer by the look of the scats) and were able to visit a cave I had first visited 50 some years ago with my dad, and a few other times over the years between then and now. It was a very nice afternoon to spend with our little rascals'!

The only anomaly with the R1 bus was that about half way, I could no longer turn the headlights off. The switch is just stuck in the on position.

Here are a few pictures of the trip.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Nice!

I guess I've lived in bear territory for way too many years.
Any cave that I find after the leaves have fallen I look at with great caution.

I've no desire to awaken and interact with Mr & Mrs Smokey..........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
My kids mentioned yesterday that it would be really nice to go and look at some ancient sites that aren't all that far from home. We stopped to ponder a river crossing to go to an undeclared section of the Effigy Mounds National Monument, it is still privately owned, and we have not been able to contact the present owners for permission. There is a very large Bear mound that can be seen from a lidar scan. Also in the area are vast outcrops of limestone and sandstone. We climbed along several cliff tops, and followed wildlife trails (mostly deer by the look of the scats) and were able to visit a cave I had first visited 50 some years ago with my dad, and a few other times over the years between then and now. It was a very nice afternoon to spend with our little rascals'!

The only anomaly with the R1 bus was that about half way, I could no longer turn the headlights off. The switch is just stuck in the on position.

Here are a few pictures of the trip.

I just came off a Unexplained marathon bender. William Shatner has me convinced those markings are done by aliens.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

More furniture moving and unloading. More book runs to drop off Book Donations. Nothing exciting, but the slow progress to get relatives moved into our 1st floor continues... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Luckily the weather here has been higher than normal for outside temps this time of year. So there's that.... Razz Wink
So nice to have our rolling big box to do it all with. Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Several months of 'concerns' by my wife and kids (and a friend) seem to have indicated that we should be replacing our water heater. It has served its' sentence. So, even though it was -4F at the break of day, today seemed to be the day to go to a Big Box and get a little box containing a replacement water heater. the '87 only stumbled a couple times, mostly when I stomped on the gas pedal... Seems likely there is frozen condensation in the filter. It went away after I let it sit in the parking lot and idle back up to normal running temps. Glad to get step 1 done of the Daddy-Do-List today. Oh, and then I got a nap. All good here on the ranch.

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Got rid of one of those a few years ago - tankless is the way to go! No worries about corroded tanks flooding the garage or basement anymore. Wink And no #%@$ insane pilot light.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Ya, I wish it could be so here. Our water self filters through limestone/sand/limestone/sand layers that have a lot of Iron and Sulphur. I do have a gigantic filter that precipitates most of it, but I can't add salt to my faltering mix for "softened water" due to a number of medical complications here. Thus, an instant on heater would clog in just a dozen months. And then what... Anyway, I do WANT one of those Wink

-bobby
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Ya, I wish it could be so here. Our water self filters through limestone/sand/limestone/sand layers that have a lot of Iron and Sulphur. I do have a gigantic filter that precipitates most of it, but I can't add salt to my faltering mix for "softened water" due to a number of medical complications here. Thus, an instant on heater would clog in just a dozen months. And then what... Anyway, I do WANT one of those Wink

-bobby
They're actually designed to make it easy to do a regular descale - at least ours is! Not that we've had to, our water is very neutral.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 88 of 89

Jump to: