Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best method for removing stripped bolt-fuel inj. bracket?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
droogvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: best method for removing stripped bolt-fuel inj. bracket? Reply with quote

So I'm changing the fuel injector seals and lines and the passenger side goes easy- almost too easy. When something goes smooth while I'm wrenching it makes me uneasy- trouble looming. I go to tackle the drivers side and the bolt to the fuel injector bracket is rusted and badly stripped. What are my options here? It looks like a tight fit for using a drill to tap it out although I've never tapped anything so maybe it's easier than I think? I thought about hammering the next size down socket (9 mm) onto it but I don't want to make it worse in the case this doesn't work. Any more experienced knuckle bangers care to help?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds from your description that you rounded off the bolt head? A tap is not a cure for a stuck bolt. So is the bolt out or stuck in? That will help. If the bolt head is rounded off, were you using a 12 point socket or 6 point? A 6 point will give you better bite on what is left. Lots of pentrating oil, PB blaster etc. If the bolt was removed and the threads are buggered a heli coil or a timesert would be your only options. Before I would get carried away tapping the intake, I would remove it from the engine. Report back on what is actually wrong, and you should get a clearer response.
droogvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolt is in but badly corroded and rounded. I'm thinking of picking up a Craftsman Bolt Out kit today. I've heard these work well - any body here know otherwise? I did use PB in fact I usually spray down bolts a day or two before just because I hate encountering problems like this. If the Craftsman kit works I'll post with results.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with the craftsman kit. I can tell you the longer you spend trying to remove it without breaking it, the quicker the job will go. If it seems you aren't having any luck, you may want to remove the manfold to get a better shot at removing it. With the manifold out of the car, you should be able to safely add some heat to the area or. They must have made a change in later years, because I seem to remember the injector retainers being held in with 6mm studs and nuts.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the bolt out kits for a few things and they work well. A very good addition to anyone's tool arsenal.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I'll state the obvious. Be careful applying heat since you're working with flammable gasoline, and also melt prone plastics in the injectors themselves.

That being said, I had the same issue, although IIRC, the bolts were smaller than 10mm. I was able to extract mine using a complete PB Blaster bath, and then some caveman tactics.

I happen to have this in my toolkit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You will need the longer reach versus regular vice-grip blunt jaws.

I was able to get a good solid grip on the offending bolt and turn it a little bit, re-position the tool, turn, reposition, etc.

You will destroy the bolt head completely if you try this, but it sounds like you already need to replace yours.

YMMV, worked for me, may not for you.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Stuck bolt Reply with quote

A great use for a Dremel tool. Use a cutoff disk and cut a slot for a straight screwdriver tip.
Once the slot is cut. Use a small torch and heat the thing up,whack it with a hammer . Make sure that your screwdriver has a wrench fitting on it to give you the needed leverage to loosen the bolt. Then when done replace the bolts with a little oil on the threads to prevent this from happening again.
Just to be P.C. which I am not. Be syre the gas lines are clear,before using a torch near fuel.(I use a small butane unit) . Wear safety glasses and gloves,(we don't want any bo bo's)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think if you remove the manifold and undo the fuel lines as a start is a good idea. If I recall correctly, you can cut the large rubber O ring on the top. This is the one that actually retains the injector. If you can cut it and remove the bits, the injector should pass through the opening in the retainer. Then use heat, magic maiden oils and the like to get the bolt off. You will have a clear shot at the bolt without injuring the injectors in the process.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
droogvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up a 5 piece bolt out set made by Irwin last night. Worked awesome! Bolt turned out easily on the first try. Best twenty bucks I ever spent. This set will travel with me for on the road misadventures in rusty fasteners. Thanks for the tips!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: