Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

The ABS kick panels are fantastic. They fit really well, don't warp and can support the speakers. I covered mine in black vinyl so they look very much like the originals.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After having the right rear wheel drag so much it started smoking after getting home from the grocery store last Saturday, I finally got the axle nut off today (the hub is stuck to the drum...)!

Then, after school, my son helped me isolate the failed part. Just the flex hose on that side. I'll have a new one by Monday!

So one part what I've done recently and one part what I plan to do soon.

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

NorCalWeekender wrote:
After having the right rear wheel drag so much it started smoking after getting home from the grocery store last Saturday, I finally got the axle nut off today (the hub is stuck to the drum...)!

Then, after school, my son helped me isolate the failed part. Just the flex hose on that side. I'll have a new one by Monday!

I would recommend replacing the rubber line on the other side, too. They tend to swell up inside and block fluid flow with age, as you have discovered..
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
NorCalWeekender wrote:

I would recommend replacing the rubber line on the other side, too. They tend to swell up inside and block fluid flow with age, as you have discovered..

That is part of the plan, yeah. I'm buying both Monday. Thanks!

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I also updated my mud flaps from the plain originals to a VW logo option. I took a photo of the VW part number on my original mud flaps, in case anyone should ever need it, which is 271 821 821 A. Like other original parts, I've cleaned them and boxed them up.

ratghoul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

New license plate frame fresh from Sactown

and a new emblem for the pretty lady!
Been having a lot of fun doing minor visual updates after my major projects and money spent replacing fuel lines, tires, new exhaust manifolds and so-on. All original parts in the bay make for an expensive summer! Rolling Eyes Now she's a beauty and a runner, what more could I ask for> Very Happy
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

this is probably more like "what did you do to you bus," but.....

400,000 mies, baby!
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

After changing out my flex lines in the rear on my 71 last week, there was still some dragging after some test drives.

So Wednesday, I pulled the right rear side apart again and found that the wheel cylinder wasn't leaking but had seized(ish) up. So pulled that, cleaned it up, lubricated it, and kept it aside as a spare. Got a new TRW yesterday. Installed that and got all the brakes back together during lunch today.

Bleed after the kiddo gets home from school and then test drive time again! Fingers crossed because there's a VW show at the Santa Cruz Wharf next Saturday that I'm planning to attend if there are no more surprises!

ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I suppose this is more of a "what idiot bad thing did you do for your bay" followed by "what did you have to do to your bay today"

Turns out that two months ago we forgot about some leftover pancakes in the icebox after a nice breakfast out and hike that followed. Ewwww! Shocked

Spent an hour cleaning it all up. I think those wicker plate baskets are toast d'oh!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
proktus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

To my '77 bus I installed a new carburetor kit: Weber DFEV 32/36.
Replaced original Solex PDSIT 32/34.

Old ones worked, had those even resealed and synced few years ago, but still felt like not enogh for me. So anyone interested, I have full working set with everything around them available, what could be a price?

jalgrattad
rattamajad
valveseadmed
koduvalve
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I would hang onto your solexes, the single carbs are notoriously difficult to fettle for all year round operation. And when I tried to track down a full set of original carbs and air cleaner it was mission impossible - it's worth keeping all of it just in case you do decide to ever go back...

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
Jalabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bus was starting like a pig, really slow to turn over. This morning I wirebrushed all the contacts, battery terminals, ground strap, the post on the solenoid, and gave everything a douse in contact cleaner.

Now turns over like a champ!

After the fun of wrestling some new tinware pieces into place I was due an easy win...

'73 westy, 1700 type 4 with 34icts
Golden83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Anybody tried the aftermarket heavy duty side mirrors made for Vanagon on a bay. Currently offered by Bus Depot. Not the Knock off from 2000’s Brazilian design, I’m meaning the off road units that have dual connection points on the door.
Thanks!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Noticed that my rear right side was lower than the left so took some time and pulled the rear torsion bar, adjusted it a few splines, and installed new rubber bushings.
I removed the bottom shock bolt and loosened the emergency brake cable and was able to maneuver the drum unit out of the way without removing the CV and axle. Better, but still not perfect. Will check it again next weekend.
Moving on to install the new raised front spindles next.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installing the raised spindles but can't get the grease bushing off without damaging them. Any tips to do this or just have to order new ones?

Finally was able to remove the bearing spacers. Smoothed out the damaged verical lip with a dremel and put it back together and installed everything.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed a Exterior SAE port for our
Portable solar Panels and our CDH all in one . I utilized the original city water hookup location.

64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

did the jetta tdi starter convesion, removed the janky hot start relay. never been a fan of adding a relay to starter, just seems like a band aid for bad wiring.
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

made a crank nut, sould make turning motor over a little easier for adjusting the valves
MacRuidh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Did some light cleaning of my new to me 1970 and organized some parts and metal that came with it. Luckily the majority of the rust repair was done by a previous owner and will only need to get a panel for the passenger front floor and a couple of pieces for front before I can put the nose back on.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 461 of 464

Jump to: