Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 461, 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

new swampers, and some solar
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

added a dash tach
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

What tach is that? Looks really good. Difficult to install?
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

its the 76-79 style from bus depot, easy to remove cluster and the red/ blue vent knobs to install... but putting cluster back in was not so easy, there are 4 clips that hold cluster to inside of the dash. if you have small hands might make it easier to hold them wile screwing down the 4 screws
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Bought and installed a new set of Bilsteins. My rear shocks were toast so it rides so much better now. However, the new rear shocks seem to be about 1.25" shorter than the spring plate travel and the old shocks. I had to jack from the lower shock point to attach them.

I sent an email to T2 Detectives who I bought them from and they said they've heard this from some users but have never had an issue. I may have to order a set of shock extenders as I have my rear torsion bars adjusted on the high side and I can hear the shocks topping out when I go over speed bumps.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Bought and installed a new set of Bilsteins. My rear shocks were toast so it rides so much better now. However, the new rear shocks seem to be about 1.25" shorter than the spring plate travel and the old shocks. I had to jack from the lower shock point to attach them.

I sent an email to T2 Research who I bought them from and they said they've heard this from some users but have never had an issue.

hey db, some years ago i searched like crazy for bilsteins for my ‘78 ce2. i walked away from that thinking they didn’t make them anymore, soes i got koni’s. these t2 research folks are making me think i was right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

I sent an email to T2 Research who I bought them from and they said they've heard this from some users but have never had an issue.

hey db, some years ago i searched like crazy for bilsteins for my ‘78 ce2. i walked away from that thinking they didn’t make them anymore, soes i got koni’s. these t2 research folks are making me think i was right.

Hi Tom. I'm a bit disappointed as for the cost, I expected them to fit perfectly. Went for a test drive last evening and the Bus has never handled better but heard the rear shocks top out a couple times going over speed bumps at a reasonable speed which is a concern. I guess most people would have their torsion bars set for mid range so you wouldn't notice under those normal settings.

I think I will make up (or buy) extenders for peace of mind.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

the bilstein site says they make shocks for the base and kombi transporters, but not the camper. this is news to me, cause, as i said, i couldn’t find any bay bilsteins when i went looking.

here’s the website.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/details?id=22311271291...p;Pos=Rear

are these the shocks you got?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
the bilstein site says they make shocks for the base and kombi transporters, but not the camper. this is news to me, cause, as i said, i couldn’t find any bay bilsteins when i went looking.

here’s the website.

https://cart.bilsteinus.com/details?id=22311271291...p;Pos=Rear

are these the shocks you got?

Thanks Tom. I think that's it. They make the regular length one for the standard model and Kombi Buses but not for Campers. I let T2 Detectives know I have a Westy but they still sold and shipped them.

A lot of campers seem to have saggy rearends so most people wouldn't have an issue. I already installed them so too late to send them back unfortunately.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I run a set of these too, expensive, but give a really good ride. My bus is slightly lowered by about 2" so T2 Detectives sent a set tailored for this. Their focus does seem to be on lowered buses, so bottoming out is usually the concern, rather than topping out. I doubt they ever come across slightly higher than standard buses here in the UK. Sounds like the extenders you mentioned are your best option to resolve the issue.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Made up a set of shock extenders using 1/4" walled square tubing. These should give me peace of mind using the new Bilsteins.

Installed the shock extenders and they work perfectly.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed a Retrosound dual cone speaker in my dash and adding a ladder to the rear hatch. Still have to add the bottom mounts but will add a few more pics after it's done.

Finished the install and it works well. It'll make getting on the roof to tie down the SUPs so much easier.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Iguana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:

I sent an email to T2 Detectives who I bought them from and they said they've heard this from some users but have never had an issue. I may have to order a set of shock extenders as I have my rear torsion bars adjusted on the high side and I can hear the shocks topping out when I go over speed bumps.

What part numbers did they sell you ?

24-632805 - REAR
24-632799 - Fronts

The Kombi is eye / eye so you can get a heap of different lengths so you may find if its still an issue you can swap them out with Bilstein for a longer set , they have life time warranty.

I would check your old shock compressed and Extended lengths as the B6 range is pimped as OE replacements so if they don't match Bilstein are usually good to deal with
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Iguana wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

What part numbers did they sell you ?

24-632805 - REAR
24-632799 - Fronts

The Kombi is eye / eye so you can get a heap of different lengths so you may find if its still an issue you can swap them out with Bilstein for a longer set , they have life time warranty.

I would check your old shock compressed and Extended lengths as the B6 range is pimped as OE replacements so if they don't match Bilstein are usually good to deal with

Thanks. I'll have to check the part numbers to be sure but when you go to Bilsteins's website (Tom included above in this thread) it shows a part number for a Late Bay Combi and Transporter but nothing is listed for the Camper/Westfalia.

Instead of spending time to try to find one that would work and then have to pay for shipping, the set of shock extenders I made up work perfectly for the set of Bilsteins I bought, so all good.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

it was about time for tires. a bit early for me, as there were no steel belts showing. but, i figured better safe.....

hankooks have done well for me the last 10-12 years, so i reupped with vantras. took the opportunity to do something i've thought about for years: powder coating my wheels.

course, that meant taking the wheels off at home, taking them to dg tires for tony to take the old tires off, taking the wheels to full spectrum for the coating, and then back to dg for tire mounting, and back home to put them on the bus.

splurged and did the spare wheel, too. not sure why.

cleaned up my usa-made valve stems, as the new ones are all chinese.

shined up the hub caps.

(they're not going on until i'm done retorquing the wheels, as i've read about powder coated wheels having loose lug nuts.)

took the opportunity with the bus up on stands to do some routine maintenance.

all new brake fluid.

adjusted the rear brakes.

checked the konis for stiffness. (they were full stiff. might be time to get them rebuilt soon.)

lubed the front end.

(actually had to put that off since i'm out of grease. though there's enough on the gun and the plastic bag it lives in that i might've been able to do the job. yuck.)

the finished product while waiting for chacho's friday special (fried beef taco, chili reilleno, rice and beans for 8 bucks.)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

dodger tom wrote:
it was about time for tires. a bit early for me, as there were no steel belts showing. but, i figured better safe.....

hankooks have done well for me the last 10-12 years, so i reupped with vantras. took the opportunity to do something i've thought about for years: powder coating my wheels.

course, that meant taking the wheels off at home, taking them to dg tires for tony to take the old tires off, taking the wheels to full spectrum for the coating, and then back to dg for tire mounting, and back home to put them on the bus.

splurged and did the spare wheel, too. not sure why.

cleaned up my usa-made valve stems, as the new ones are all chinese.

shined up the hub caps.

(they're not going on until i'm done retorquing the wheels, as i've read about powder coated wheels having loose lug nuts.)

took the opportunity with the bus up on stands to do some routine maintenance.

all new brake fluid.

adjusted the rear brakes.

checked the konis for stiffness. (they were full stiff. might be time to get them rebuilt soon.)

lubed the front end.

(actually had to put that off since i'm out of grease. though there's enough on the gun and the plastic bag it lives in that i might've been able to do the job. yuck.)

the finished product while waiting for chacho's friday special (fried beef taco, chili reilleno, rice and beans for 8 bucks.)

Looks great Tom! Nice to finish it off with some good Mexican Food and a few cervesas.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

SoCal is the best place on the planet for Mexican Food 😎🤙🌺

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/mexican-re...rpBPS2YjiY

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

I grew up on Mexican food in S. Cal. Clearly you haven't eaten Mexican food in El Paso. It will change your life. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I grew up on Mexican food in S. Cal. Clearly you haven't eaten Mexican food in El Paso. It will change your life. Wink

Oh no, I have. Also lived in San Antonio. Best eats in San Antonio was a "Bertos" rip off. For the unwise - Robertos is an OG chain here in San Diego, invented the Carne Asada Burrito. Pair that up with another San Diego original - The Fish Taco, and forget about it. Like I did to TexMex. Laughing Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

as i’ve had no luck with either paper or aluminum hoses for my dump tubes, (they always fall apart in quick order, even the official vw from classic parts), i decided to try something different.

steve kent referenced aircraft vent tubes in a post some time ago, so, i thought, why not.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/sceet.php

fiberglass-reinforced silicone. got the double-walled stuff, hoping for durability.

i wonder about that plastic wrap.

we’ll see how they perform.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 461, 462, 463, 464  Next
Jump to:
Page 462 of 464

Jump to: