Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Bug Today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Removed the fuel tank and released the upper steering joint to remove the steering box.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Appears to have leaked a long time ago and has probably been lacking lubricant for years.
Now for cleanup and rebuild.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Completed steering and front suspension removal.

Everything will be reconditioned and/or replaced as needed, including strut rebuild.
Ajros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Power washed the engine bay. Degreased, wiped and rinsed it. Definitely need to give it another pass, but this was my first try after picking up the 74 Super back in December.

While the pressure washer was on I gave it a good exterior wash before driving it around the block.

Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Today I tuned my antenna to improve radio reception from 91 to 104 MHz Very Happy
Very Happy
stagewex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ha, Good One.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Got my 1971 ready for summer (top down, boot on), should hit 90F this week here in Arizona

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

1971 Super Beetle Convertible, mine since 1976.

Today I drove to the $4 self-serve car wash, washed off the transmission (original, has never been out of the car or had its drive axles unbolted), and scraped off 53 years of hardened gear oil and dirt (safety goggles absolutely necessary). Then I tightened all the transmission case nuts I could find. Of course I knocked off the wire to the starter solenoid, but noticed it and re-connected it). What a mess !!!

Then I added GL-4 gear oil, last topped off in 2008.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Gman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I cut my frunk handle off of my 79 and replaced the extremely wallowed out latch (due to an accident with one of the previous owners.) also ran a choke cable trough the fender as a last result frunk opener upper. realised the spring was collapsed on the part that goes into the latch. will be looking for a stronger spring in the morning. Brick wall
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gman73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

oh yeah... also fitted a bus shifter in the SB. its ridiculous

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I adjusted my valves this weekend.

Any valve that needed adjustment, I completely removed the adjuster screw and lock nut. I cleaned the threads and coated them with engine oil. I also dabbed engine oil into the internal threads of the rocker arm. This makes the final valve adjustment a lot easier for me. No binding.
swede-german2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Halfway done replacing the seals on both of my pop outs. After that it will be time for a wash, then a drive around the lake!
'74 MILF (upgraded to MIF in '02)
PiperFixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Changed gear oil.
Replaced generator brushes.
Installed the WW de-smell kit.
Cleaned my back up fuse holder and replaced the fuse, still no reverse lights. Probably need to clean the contacts at the bulbs.
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Gman73 wrote:
oh yeah... also fitted a bus shifter in the SB. its ridiculous

I’d like to do same
How do you like it?
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

I changed my transmission oil. And while doing the job, I could no longer ignore the quarter inch of dirt and oil caked on the transmission. In general I like the engine and transmission a little greasy and oily. But this was too much even for me. So I cleaned it.

BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Speedo went kaput yesterday.
Cable had disengaged from dustcover. E clip was AWOL...
Snaked the cable thru and snapped on a new E clip.

Found and fixed an annoying rattle in the passenger door.

Two for two!

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclewede
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Ordered a new car cover. The existing one seems to have seen too many sunny days. It wasn't designed for the bug, may actually have been from a pickup I no longer own. The other day, when I simply tried to move it more central on the top, split along the seams.

None of the replacements I found had a hole for the antenna. Even when I push it all the way down, it's up a bit and lifts the cover in that area. Rubber dohickey, grommet, ??? so I don't forget to pull up the antenna and can only listen to one station?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Lost69Convertible wrote:
I changed my transmission oil. And while doing the job, I could no longer ignore the quarter inch of dirt and oil caked on the transmission. So I cleaned it.

You did a better job on yours than I did on my 1971's factory transmission a couple of weeks ago. While changing the gear oil, I used a putty knife and screwdriver to scrape off 53 years of gunk.

I also tightened every transmission case nut I could.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Bug Today? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
You did a better job on yours than I did on my 1971's factory transmission

I’m not so sure about that. I used degreaser and a wood dowel as a scraper. I didn’t wear any breathing protection - stupid. I got degreaser deep in my sinuses. It’s all I could smell for days! Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449
Jump to:
Page 449 of 449

Jump to: