Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What BRAND of gasoline/Diesel do you use?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What BRAND of gasoline do you use?
BP
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Chevron
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Shell
17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Texaco (same as chevron?)
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
other, Please state
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
cheapest
46%
 46%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 52

wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: What BRAND of gasoline/Diesel do you use? Reply with quote

I am just curious to see if people are faithful to a brand or just buy whatever is cheapest.....I use Shell Diesel. Just bought the Gas powered Van, I have read good things about techron.

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
vanagonforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my Vanagon I use Sunoco gas since it is right next to my office however I'd like to eventually get a TDI in my Vanagon so I can start using the B100 that I buy from a local biodiesel non-profit for my Jetta.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use Arco gas and every other fill up I drop in a bottle of Techron for a 16 gallon tank. Seems Techron is on sale every other week or so at either the Pep Boys or Kragen Auto.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all comes out of the same pipelines and storage tanks, so there is very little difference between brands. My engines get a $2.99 bottle of fuel injector/carb cleaner every 10K or so, that seems to be all they ever need.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving out of Canada.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arco. it's down to $2.39 here. some Lucas fuel treatment now and then.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevron is all my VW and BMW get. Not all gas is the same as 1 of you believes. The additives Chevron and Shell put in their gas is second to none.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually fill up at my local Costco. Not sure who supplies their gas.
About every other fill-up, wherever I buy it from, I drop in a few oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil. It seems to be beneficial, mileage and performance-wise.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the US - Shell
In mexico - Pemex or Esso
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamos wrote:
I usually fill up at my local Costco. Not sure who supplies their gas.
About every other fill-up, wherever I buy it from, I drop in a few oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil. It seems to be beneficial, mileage and performance-wise.

same here, Costco in Richmond
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever is cheapest, Found diesel for $2.99 in Dubois Wyoming today, the cheapest I have seen it in a few years!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
retswerb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a dyed-in-the-wool Chevron guy for several years after discovering a 3-4 mpg difference on an old Subaru between Chevron and Arco (which I had previously always bought). After that I figured it was probably worth the extra money in terms of how it was treating the inside of my engine even if I didn't see the same mileage difference on my other vehicles (some seem to respond to the additives differently than others).

This year though I confess I have given in to Costco's regularly $.25 cheaper gas, although I've continued to buy maybe every fourth or fifth tank of Chevron for old times' sake.

Former:
'73 Super Beetle
'71 Beetle
'66 Campmobile
'84 Vanagon GL (different one)
'84 Adventurewagen
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will use Shell when available and convenient, they also give AirMiles points, although there is not a Shell station near my home. Usually I will use what is nearby when I am running on fumes. (I know, this is not a good idea, but with the price of gas recently...) OK in the winter I keep it topped up more or less.
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a local company WESCO they are cheap and it is on my way to work..their is only three dealers of gas in our area WESCO. Shell, Blarney Castle. their are shell, bp, mobile, marathon.....gas station they may have different names, but the gas only comes from the 3 dealer listed. This is for the Ludington area in Michigan

have a great day
Loghome for sale For those that want to get away from it all....
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

winkshog wrote:
There is a local company WESCO they are cheap and it is on my way to work..their is only three dealers of gas in our area WESCO. Shell, Blarney Castle. their are shell, bp, mobile, marathon.....gas station they may have different names, but the gas only comes from the 3 dealer listed. This is for the Ludington area in Michigan

have a great day

There used to be a small hole in the wall gas station where I used to live. IThe gas was cheap. One day I watched the Chevron truck pull up and drop fuel. So I bought from them. Probibly had alot of water in it but oh well.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings up an importnat point: NEVER fill up at a station where fuel has just been delivered. The new fuel stirs up the water and sediment that has settled on the bottom of the storage. If you see the truck there delivering, wait a day to buy from that place or go to another station. I've seen this several times, both my own and others' experiences.

I asked one of the tanker drivers once, just a year or so ago, what they did to control that problem. I had heard that they used to pour TSP into the tanks to grab up any suspended water and settle it out. The dirt tends to favor the water so it gets carried to the bottom, too. Water is much much heavier than gasoline so it will fall out by itself, but you don't want to be selling watery gas while you wait so they would use the TSP to hasten the settling.

This driver said that used to be a problem long ago but the filters on the pumps catch all the water and will shut off if it gets too bad, so it hasn't been anything to be concerned about for many years. He also said you can tell when a pump filter is needing service because the delivery rate slows down. I still don't believe it's not a concern, because it wasn't that many years ago that we filled up a cube truck and as we pulled away I spotted the tanker behind the building where we couldn't see it when we pulled in. I mentioned that we might have problems, and sure enough not an hour down the road the truck started to lose power badly. I pulled that filter out and dumped out the dirt and water like three times before we got to our destination a few hours later. Finally the filter was so abused we had to get a new one to go on at all, but at least we made it and weren't stranded out in eastern AZ on I-40.

So, a word to the wise.

As to brands, I favor Chevron for the Techron content. Techron is pretty great stuff, I've used it to clear up a wanky FI more than once, so having a little going thru the nozzles seems like a good idea and I never have fuel-related engine problems. I used to add a bottle yearly but since I buy Chevron about half the time I don't bother with that extra treatment anymore. Consumer Reports evaluated it awhile back and it was one of the few fuel additves that delivered results.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
... Techron is pretty great stuff,... Consumer Reports evaluated it awhile back and it was one of the few fuel additves that delivered results.

Is that report online or in their magazine? I would be interested in reading it.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was many years ago, so happy searching!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a hardcore Chevron fan as well. If I can't find Chevron I can usually find Shell. The techron is really good stuff in terms of basic FI preventive maintenance. I run it in my van and my BMW motorcycles. I've got 40K miles on my rebuilt injectors and have never run any injector cleaner/treatment through the system. Injector spray pattern is still like new.
'96 BMW R1100GS
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put shell in vechiles that count.... there hi test is the best! i have a 72 bmww 2002 that when i have to go for other gas i gotta get out and spin the dist. a bit or it will ping... i dont know what they put in it but it makes a huge difference... so since i luv my vanagon i give it the same treatment along with lucas fuel inject cleaner a tank before an oil change

-cliff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: