Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Screaming windscreen wiper motor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott_fury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Screaming windscreen wiper motor Reply with quote

HELP!!! Can anyone give me some advice on how to stop my windscreen wiper motor from screaming at me every time they move! I have a '65 panel van and the motor is difficult to get to. I did have the front removed at one point and gave the motor a good spray but it still screams really loud every time it gets to one side of the windscreen. It's torture when driving in the rain, and in this country it rains a lot so I am desperate to find a solution.

I was going to fill a syringe with lubricant and attach it to a pipe so I can slide it up under the dash, but do not know if I can get at the motor, or if it's the spindles that need the oiling. Is it easier to replace the unit with one that keeps it's mouth shut?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd rather be subjected to Chinese water torture than drive my van in the rain.

Cheers then.

Scott
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lubricate everything and find out whats doing it. Yes you have to take off the parcel tray to better be able to get at the motor. Lubing up the wiper shafts with wd40 will tell if they are the culprit. I sprayed mine to see if they were dry by pulling on the shaft a couple of times while spraying at the spot where the shaft enters the brass threaded part. Ended up taking apart the motor and cleaning and greasing it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need to remove the entire wiper assembly, clean it, and regrease it.

There are some photos in this thread, although it's not specific to 1965:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323846
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65 bus is a 1 year only motor and frame type. The pictures posted by Everett are for 64 and back. 65 Used a frame like 66-67 did. DL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that often no one has done maintenance to the wiper motor since the bus was new. What this means is that if it is noisey, you just have to bite the bullet, and give it some attention.

First remove the wiper motor assembly.
This means clearing the stuff off the parcel tray and removing the middle and right bolts so the parcel tray drops down. If you have a radio in the dash, remove it. And the ash tray too.
Since you have a 65, there is a frame.
Remove the wiper arms and the nuts on the outside of the pivots.

Remove the I think two bolts holding the wiper motor in.
Look at the wires... make a not of how they attach then remove them from either the wiper motor or the switch, whichever you like. I think there is a clip holding the wires to the dash between switch and motor.

Wiggle the assembly out of the holes for the pivots through the nose, and to the right and out. Be careful as you get the pivots past the wires near the speedo. You do have to push the dash tray down to get the assembly out.

Take pictures of the assembly before taking it apart, each piece you take apart, so you know how it goes back together. This is important, for example, if you don't know where to attach the linkages for the pivots odds are you get it off and the self park will NOT park it in the right place, but right in front of your face.

Remove the wiper motor from the frame, and clean out the old hardened non lubricating grease and replace it, like as shown in the other thread. The 65 motor is not the same, but the idea is the same.
Old hard grease means a noisey motor.

New 65 pivots can be bought from WW, possibly from a local supplier (ask them? 65 is one year only here, remember)

See the linkages with the plastic bushings? Are they sloppy? The plastic wears out. They should be lubed with grease.

The pivots need to be snug, not sloppy, and lubed inside where they pivot.
Use new rubber seals at the pivots when installing the assembly

Hope that helps
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with clara. Also check the steal gear for rust. I see that on the 65 motor all the time. I use a wire wheel to get them clean. I have seen the grease so hard it came out in 1 chunck. Somtimes the magnet rubbs the armature and makes a loud screech. You need to check the clearance around the armature. (the air gap) I use a brass drift to massage the magnet into place. Wiper units must be serviced to get trouble free operation. DL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric & Barb have a nice story about cleaning and lubricating a wiper motor and how nicely it ran when they finished. It is a beautiful story--enough to make you cry. I saved it; I'll see if I can find it.

I could see worn and partially corroded pivots playing a big part in the groaning squealing noise described by the OP.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did this procedure on the SWF wiper motor in my DKW (yes Everett, I said DKW Laughing ) as Clara and others describe and am amazed at the difference. I need to do it on my bus as well.

Arthur

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scott_fury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! That's great. I've got to drive up to Birmingham from Bristol tonight so will probably have to put up with it for a few hours (I'll crank the stereo up in the vain hope it may distract me enough not to get too annoyed) and am on Easter hols this week so will attempt to remove and blast the rust and crap out of it.

quartermilecamel - I'm pretty certain it ain't the shafts as I tried again last night to lube them up to no avail.

Clara - Thanks for that. I'm sure that'll prove invaluable. Taking pictures is a brilliant idea. Can't recall the amount of times I've forgotten how to put things back together after dismantling them. (Something to do with the abuse my brain took as a teenager maybe?)

Major Woody - That sounds like a good read.

EverettB, DL West & arthurnugen - Thanks for the wisdom.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I was able to find the old E&B advice. Easy if you do a search for "puddy". I could not find it the first time because I was searching "putty". BTDT!! Here you go:

Quote:
Hi razor344,
…Good idea to repack the wiper motor gear box with a light lithium grease. Because by now the OG grease has turned into a non-lubricating puddy. Did that for our earlier 1960s buses and resulted in wipers that were much faster, and one did not have to shout over to be heard. Just be sure to not over pack the gearbox. In otherwords look at how much OG grease was used and repack with the same amount.

Hi Velvetgreen,
…Whatever year of bus and wiper motor one uses, it really helps to take the wiper motor gear box apart. Remove the old grease that by now has turned into more of a non-lubricating puddy, and put in some light grease like lithium or white lithium. Make sure to ONLY put in about the same amount of grease as you took out (about 1/4-1/3 full) or the motor will have problems. BTDT!
Regreasing the wiper motor in our 1960 panel walk thru camper conversion resulted in not only faster wipers, but being able to talk over them without having to yell anymore!
Eric&Barb

Hi Grant,
…Either way if the wiper motor runs, make sure to take apart the wiper gear box. Remove the OG grease that by now has turned into something more like a non-lubricating puddy. Refill only about 1/3 full with a light grease like lithium or perhaps white lithium.
Eric&Barb

Hi Pete,
Sure! Just a little corrosion on the armature and no electrical power goes through. Plus the grease turns into something more like puddy after 10 years, causing the wiper to become noisy enough that volks in the front seats have to holler to be heard.
Eric&Barb
scott_fury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: More wiper motor trouble!!!! Reply with quote

I've hit another problem! I've just stripped down the wiper mechanism and motor off my '65 bus and noticed that one of the wiper motor contact points has come loose..... can I replace this or do I need to find a metal solderer to attach it back??? Here's a couple of pics

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help would be appreciated! (Sorry EverettB)
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same happened to mine once. Found replacement brushes at a hardware store... Nothing major.
scott_fury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying all day, phoning round and unfortunately the hardware stores in the Uk are more about home improvements than auto electrical parts. There doesn't seem to be many auto electricians in the Uk that still stock old Bosch parts. Think I'm going to have to find an old motor to strip or replace.
xavi_242
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott_fury wrote:
I've been trying all day, phoning round and unfortunately the hardware stores in the Uk are more about home improvements than auto electrical parts. There doesn't seem to be many auto electricians in the Uk that still stock old Bosch parts. Think I'm going to have to find an old motor to strip or replace.

well go to an electrical parts shop or a place you know they repair electrical motors. I also went first and take a junt wiper motor and got the brushes from there... then I realised my motor has 3 brushes because is a '67 only year so I had to got 3 from the store...
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno where to get wiper motor brushes ... hmm. That's the sort of thing I'd expect to find in a pile of NOS parts, as no one would use them and they'd sit on the shelf till the dealer closed.

Anyhow, please post a pic of your entire wiper motor & assembly.
scott_fury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been a mission but I have successfully installed the rebuilt wiper assembly and motor... and it works like a dream! It's quiet and fast (except for when the battery went flat!).

I phoned a few garages that I've taken my old vw's to over the years and the general consensus was to buy another motor. I phoned around and it appeared a '65 bus is different and could cost up to £120. I also had doubts to the motor as whether it was 6v or 12v. On closer inspection everything was telling me it was 12v. In order to avoid buying an expensive and wrong motor I thought I'd look in my garage as I was certain that I had a wiper motor off an old 412 I used to own. Sure enough, I took it apart and it was the same, but in just the same condition also.

I sat down and had a cup of tea and flicked through the yellow pages directory. I stumbled a cross a place called "Sparks" that I had taken an alternator to off a type 3 that I wanted rebuilt. I had forgotten about them.

A short cycle ride later and I was in their workshop. They had all the correct parts and soldered it up proper, like new. £20 and 2 hours later I was back at home, another cup of tea in hand, rebuilding the whole lot. I greased and lubed it and bolted it back and it works perfectly!!!

Many thanks to everyone who gave me advice. This forum is invaluable and the thought that I had other people to turn to made this task a lot easier, mentally!

Ta ta for now.
roamer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: '66 wiper e-clip madness Reply with quote

Anyone have any tricks for keeping the e-clips on the wiper shafts so they hold the arms from popping off?

I have the 66-67 linkage with the big motor and heavy duty arms. The outboard ends of the arms have plastic bushings that fit into the holes and they slide over the ends of the rotating wiper pivots and (unlike the '65 and earlier versions) are held in place with a small spring washer and an e-clip. The inboard ends of the 2 arms slide over another shaft at the end of the wiper motor, likewise held in place with spring washer and e-clip. Everything works smoothly now except that the e-clips don't like to stay put .. as the shaft rotates, the tension from the spring washer can walk the clip out of the slot and eventually it pops off and the arms will work loose. I'm not sure how to solve it.

I had replaced the plastic bushings using WW parts; these seem slightly thicker than original, which leads to more tension on the e-clip; it was very hard to fit the spring washer in between the bushing and the e-clip. I filed the bushings down just a little and the fit seems better. The replacement e-clips seem a little thicker than the original clips, but not excessive; it still seems to fit well in the slot on the shaft.

I'm thinking the spring washer to bushing faces should be lightly oiled to help prevent the bushing from rotating the washer, which in turn will try to rotate and loosen the e-clip. Sad It's possible the face of the bushing isn't smooth enough, so it's grabbing the washer as it moves. I have another set of bushings, so I can try another replacement. They're a tight fit so you have to whack it to install it into the end of the arm, which can damage the outer face of the bushing; that could be part of the problem.

Suggestions welcome, thanks!
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem as you describe. the plastic WW bushings need to be reamed out. I use a chainsaw file to remove a little and a drill if needed they do not fit like the OEM. I press them in with a vice. Then ream them to fit the shafts. I sand the linkage bushing after installed to remove extra plastic from pressing them in, also a exacto knife to clean up the bushing. The WW e-clips are thicker then the OEM also. I sand the e clip on one side to fit. They should click on with a snap. You would think that this is easy to install new aftermarket bushings. It takes me hours to complete the linkage to proper fit. Too tight and your motor will get hot and fail. I had e- clips and the spring washers made for me,out of heat treated spring steel. I spent $1000 on getting them made to better than OEM. And $1500 to have 20,000 made of each. DL wiper guy
Snoop Bob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the clip and/or the end of the shaft are not in spec. Maybe try a tighter/better fitting clip after ensuring your shaft ends are in decent shape.

***Edit***See above, maybe you can get some proper e-clips from DL.

EverettB wrote:
I would be interested in knowing the sizes of the various shafts.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced both my wiper shafts with WW assemblies. Before installation, I took apart the shafts and greased up the internals. Haven't had any issues since the reinstall,clips seem to hold fine.

I did however have a challenging experience in the process.

My story from another board...

Follow the drama...

EDragnDean wrote:
So for the second time, my wipers start screaming when engaged. Bottom line is a serious design flaw, which fortunately you can buy replacement parts for. (trouble shooting this issue, I have three motors, two assemblies...)

So follow the german logic on this one. Lets build a wiper assembly shaft which is a rod through a tube exposed to the elements. No wonder it squeals, it must be rusty as hell inside.

In the end, I used 3 motors, and two complete wiper assemblies to get this purring like a kitten. For those of you thinking, "I want an old vw..."

To get the wiper assembly out of a split window bus, you first have to remove the parcel tray which is attached to the frame, the speedo pod, and the steering wheel. You also must completely remove your stock radio, all the wiper blades, screws from the outside, wiring... I had done this before, just sharing it is a PITA. Anyway, I removed the assembly to replace the wiper assembly shafts with the WW ones. WW sent me the wrong shafts... props to WW when I explained they sent me another set (course I left pieces of my bus everywhere waiting three days).

Fast forward... I have the wiper assembly out of the bus, and the new wiper shafts. There are little tiny c-clips on the tips of the inner shaft holding it inside the copper sleeve, I could not get one of those clips off as the ends of the sleeves OG are tight. I also could not allow myself to destroy 44 year old wiper shafts. But, guess what, I have a second complete set with a bum motor and broken passenger side shaft in the attic (motor on that one is bad and 6v, more later...). Anyway, install the new shafts on the second assembly, grease the shafts (be good ) and the arms, connection points, etc. Wonder if the wiper motor works on this one, only way I know to test is to install, so, I install this second assembly with the new shafts, and it works... kinda. Motor is 6v, my bus upgraded to 12v, so really fast, and I can hear grinding in the motor, not good...

Take assembly out of the bus, AGAIN! Install my previous 12v 67 motor (these things are $$$). Regrease, reinstall, and......

Remember the screaming... it's back, new shafts did not fix the issue. If you go back and look at the previous post, I mentioned this is second time I have addressed this issue. The first time I thought to correct the problem, I would dismantel the motor assembly and regrease all the internals to eliminate the noise. So it appears the problem is still the motor. When I first ran across this issue, I bought a NOS 66 motor from thesamba. I didn't use it, because 66 is 6 volt, which I assumed I had, and of course sometime in the past, a 67 only 12 volt was installed in my bus. Ok, you can buy a 12 volt armature to upgrade your motor for split window buses except for 66. 66 is a one year motor same as 67. So, my thought, is take my 67 12volt armature out and put it in the 66 NOS unit.

...continued on page 2

http://www.franklinsvwwerks.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8919&start=60
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image

Last edited by EDragnDean on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: