Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electrical problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Electrical problems Reply with quote

I replaced my ignition and turn signal switches last week and decided to replace some wires and connectors, and organize the rats nest of wires in the trunk, and now Iím blowing fuses. One of the things I noticed when I was organizing the wiring was the fuse box wasnít wired up correctly (according to the diagram in the Bentley, so I fixed that. Other than that, the only additional thing I did was wire up a switch for my heater fan would turn on the light for the rear defroster in the speedometer when itís switched on, and added and electric fuel pump which is wired to #1 fuse at the moment.

Whatís happening now is my right blinker works fine, left blinker blows #1 fuse. Hazards blow #10 fuse. Windshield wipers blow #2 fuse. The lights in the speedometer are acting weird also. The oil and gen lights donít come on when I turn the ignition switch is turned to on, but the ones for high beams and the turn signal indicator do; the later actually flashes now when I use the turn signal switch, before the only time it worked was when the hazards were on and the car was off. Fuel gauge isnít working. When I was replacing connectors I only removed the wire I was working on at the time, I didn't just pull everything out unless it was a switch and I was careful to put everything back the way it was when I was wiring it back up. I donít know a whole lot about electrical stuff so Iím kinda stumped.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical problems Reply with quote

Unplug those items blowing fuses. Then start plugging the wires back in.

What color coded wires, when plugging in, blow the fuses?

FWIW. It is super easy to pinch a wire in the turn signal switch housing, while installing it. Might be worth a look.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

Ricksurfin wrote:
First world fast guy problems. Sheesh. Lol

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
jeffrey8164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical problems Reply with quote

You have some dead shorts somewhere.
Unplug the offending circuits and meter them out.
Unless you just happen to have a crap ton of fuses lying around that you donít mind wasting.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696460&highlight=rose
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical problems Reply with quote

Quote:
dead shorts somewhere.

Save fuses by putting a test light across the fuse tabs of the fuse that has been 'blowing'. If there is a short it will light up (key switch 'on' if it's wire #15 or some other circuit that is 'on' with the key switch 'on') starting moving wires around, maybe disconnect one at a time, when the test light goes out you have found the short.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Electrical problems Reply with quote

It looks like the turn signal switch was grounding on one of the screws behind it. I put some electrical tape on it and itís been fine since then. Also, I wasnít as careful as I thought I was with the wiring. We thru everything yesterday, and itís all good now. Just need to keep tweaking my carbs and what not.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electrical problems Reply with quote

LucKaS wrote:
It looks like the turn signal switch was grounding on one of the screws behind it. I put some electrical tape on it and itís been fine since then. Also, I wasnít as careful as I thought I was with the wiring. We thru everything yesterday, and itís all good now. Just need to keep tweaking my carbs and what not.

Not the first time I have seen that! Wonít be the last!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

Ricksurfin wrote:
First world fast guy problems. Sheesh. Lol

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: