Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has Stainless Steel Coolant pipes in their van?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackDogVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the consensus on 1 piece VS. the 2 part SS options? Reading through this spiderweb of linked threads (and ignoring all the TK fear and intimidation posts) it seems like the shipping costs, installation pains & the possibility of shipping damage makes the one piece pipes not worth it...

I imagine GW, BD & VC would make 1 piece units if they thought it was worth it?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Terry in one place you claim that there is documented evidence that changing the coolant stops corrosion>>>

Youn are 100% correct--And this is common Automotive Knowledge--not just exclusive to Vanagons Only.

Evewr see a 400 Cummins cyliner liner that's never had the coolant changed, or the water filter changed?

How bout a 535 Ford?

How bout a Detroit Diesel?

How bout a VW Vangon?

Pins holes in the cylinder liner's are coomon with this situation of neglect.

<< and in another you claimed that they leaked from the get go.>>

They leaked right on the Show Room Floor.
The only miles they had on them was from the truck to the shop to the floor.

You need a dealer's phone number too?

<<Only one of these two statements can be correct.>>

Nope.
They both are a fact--two different situations.
One is due to zero maintainence, one is due to poor machining,or over poor design.

Take your pick--
Neither one is due to the construction of the pipes.

<< Choose one and then stick to it.>>

OK--I did.
Two situations, same outcome.

<<As for what keeps aluminium from corroding it is well known to anyone who learned anything in high school>>

I didn't study aluminum in HS.

Math, Shop, PE, Biology,etc.

they didn't offer studies in aluminum back then.

<<Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_oxide>>

Not available back in 1966.
Sorry---
No books went by the name of Wikipedia

<<"Aluminium oxide is an amphoteric oxide of aluminium with the chemical formula Al2O3.>>

Ok--and how in the heck is any fluid passing through stainless tubing going to remove the aluminum oxide?

It isn't going to happen.
And this is the issue.

The failure to keep your cooling system up to the proper acidic levels will do more damage to an engine than a pair of coolant transportation tubes.
240Gordy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
240Gordy wrote:
ragnarhairybreeks wrote:
I'll add my 2 cents worth...The inside of the pipe was very clean, no corrosion except for one tiny spot where the leak was, and it was right on the welding seam.

the problem is not with corrosion of the pipes, it is a problem of corrosion/erosion of the aluminum cylinder heads, a pair of very expensive parts that take skillz to replace.

Your coolant pipes may last forever but your heads will dissolve into the coolant . . .

and by the way, my marine wet exhaust replacement cooling hoses are doing just fine, thank you, as is the plastic fitting they mate with. I will have a look and see if running them direct down the left side will tidy things up, thanks to whoever suggested that!

240gordy, I don't understand your response to my post, I was explaining what I found in my stock steel pipes. Are you saying the factory put in pipes that cause aluminum corrosion?
Proper coolant and regular replacement will keep corrosion in check, as Terry Kay has stated a few times. If you have data on rate of head corrosion as a function of coolant pipe material, then please post it.

did you read Loogy's post about SS in the thread link he posted?

Why take a chance when non-conductive materials are available?
1985 GL now with more! a 2.1L
H&R SPORT(RED) Springs FRONT , SLAM SPECIALTIES RE6 AIRBAGS REAR
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it these type of posts always have to turn into an augument between the same people? Everyone has a right to their opinion and not everyone has to prove themselves right all the time. Let it be and keep on the original topic.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, show me one Vanagon that has not had corrosion problems, just one. Every Vanagon that I have ever heard of has had corrosion problems. It doesn't matter whether the antifreeze was changed every year there was still a corrosion problem with the heads. Yes changing the antifreeze every few years will reduce the problem and adding coolant conditioner is in my experience even better, but nothing stops it.

The question is whether 304SS pipes make it worse. You have either done no testing or won't admit to the results from the test. These aren't Fords, Detroits, or Cummins, they are VW Vanagons that had a corrosion problem from day one that would lead to the failure of the waterbox gasket in about 80K miles no matter how often the antifreeze was change. Since you haven't shown any proof that your pipes won't make a bad problem worse I will have to assume that they will.
fatboypaul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advantage : Wildthings.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know there's no point in starting a debate with TK. He has his opinions and no amount of argument is EVER going to change his mind. I don't know why you guys take such offense and go on and on and on with him. It only makes reading these posts a real drag. Consider the source and let it go.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
If you have the GW pipes, the VC pipes or the BD pipes or if you buy the Rocky mountain pipes--you all have the same exact pipes from the same oversea's manufacture, with the same DIN specs.

All of them located the pipes from the same automotive parts jobber in California.

None of them offer's the one piece pipes.
The cost for shipping from wherever they are made would be cost prohibitive--take up too much space in the oversea's container.

Well Terry,

You are wrong. We manufacture the pipes for Go Westy, Van Cafe and our own product right here in Ft Collins CO. In house, in stock. Not built to order. Ready to ship same day. I will gladly make them in one piece for anyone that would like them. Probably could ship them anywhere for around $125 one piece.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Who was ranting?
I simply expailned how things are ,that's all.

Now don't go getting excited--

You seem like a pretty knowledgeable guy, and have been to both places and saw the actual bending happening.

Pick up the phone tomorrow, and call GW, or RMW , and seeing as they both have purchased hydraulic bender's, and a delegated guy to do nothing but custom form pipes--ask them to whip you up a a set of one piece ,late model 85.5, 1.50" pipes.
Or perhaps a set of one piece 82 diesel pipes.

See how that goes, and please post the results of your quest.

Don't get excited as your making this request over the phone now--take it easy.

I will wait for the phone call. Did you need a set also Terry. The anwser is Yes. We do have a hydraulic bender and a delegated guy. I don't know if I can "whip them up" because I don't have the actual mill here but I do purchase the same material you do.

Also yes freshintulsa has seen it done. Well actually he did it.
[email protected]

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAVO for clearing that up RMW. not everything is made in Asia--and the second claim I've seen stating so
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Match Point - Rocky Mountain Westy!

next volley?
Vanagonner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMW has excellent equipment and top-notch workmanship. I have been in the manufacturing facility and seen racks of coolant pipes ready to go (USA, USA). I bet they would make a set of mild steel ones and have them powder coated if you wished.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing up the smoke cloud RMW. I appreciate that there is a solid vendor that is willing to push the envelope on the products that they make and still have the customer in mind. Cool
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been following this thread. The original post was just to get input on a certain product and it turned into a science lecture. I am no expert in this subject but all chemicals have a life expectancy. Automoblie manufactuers all have recommended change interval for coolant, oil, ect. So all chemicals obviously have a breakdown point at sometime. We all know nothing last forever. If the stainless pipes last 20 years and the plastic last 5 years you are still ahead of the game installing stainless pipes. I don't have of them yet. Like I said I am having some made in an earlier post. I am pretty sure if all of them are made from the same grade stainless they are all probably pretty comparable. After all it is just a pipe to get coolant back and forth between the motor and the radiator. As long as it doesn't leak its doing its job. Maybe I wrong but that is all it seems to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:

We manufacture the pipes for Go Westy, Van Cafe and our own product right here in Ft Collins CO. In house, in stock. Not built to order. Ready to ship same day.

Do you also offer the "new & improved" 2WD kit that replaces an NLA hose from VW?

Didn't see it on your website, or is this an exclusive product for GW?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Zinc anodes Reply with quote

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/anode.html

http://www.jcwhitney.com/RADIATOR_CORROSION_INHIBI...000879;0;0

So what about these to save us from the awfulness of galvanic corrosion?

(They work in my old Mercedes with steel blocks, aluminum heads, steel and stainless steel pipes. Well, at least they seem to work.)

(They are also in your home water heater. The longer the rod, the longer the life of the heater. And they charge you a lot more for a longer zinc rod. You can order rods, at least for the Sears water heaters. Wonder why mine is still good from 1985???)

So what about them?????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

We manufacture the pipes for Go Westy, Van Cafe and our own product right here in Ft Collins CO. In house, in stock. Not built to order. Ready to ship same day.

Do you also offer the "new & improved" 2WD kit that replaces an NLA hose from VW?

Didn't see it on your website, or is this an exclusive product for GW?

At this point we make those for GoWesty exclusivley. Stay tuned as our products are constantly developing and improving. This spring we will be developing a kit that eliminates just about every weirdo special VW hose. With this kit and the Van Cafe thermostat housing Farmer Joe will have the suppiles to fix almost any coolant leak. We'll show those Germans what we think of there fancy hoses.
[email protected]

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point we make those for GoWesty exclusivley. Stay tuned as our products are constantly developing and improving. This spring we will be developing a kit that eliminates just about every weirdo special VW hose. With this kit and the Van Cafe thermostat housing Farmer Joe will have the suppiles to fix almost any coolant leak. We'll show those Germans what we think of there fancy hoses.

Can you do custom SS pipes? On my Multivan with 205R70/14's the original radiator hoses are less available than the hoses for use with the 185R14s. With a slight lengthening and bending of the pipes I believe it would be possible to use the more available set of hoses.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Can you do custom SS pipes? On my Multivan with 205R70/14's the original radiator hoses are less available than the hoses for use with the 185R14s. With a slight lengthening and bending of the pipes I believe it would be possible to use the more available set of hoses.

Yes we can make them to fit. We will be making the new pipes to totally elimante those hoses. The stainless pipes will go right to the radiator and just have short standard hose couplers. This is a late spring project. Let me know if you need a custom set sonner.

Mike
[email protected]

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we can make them to fit. We will be making the new pipes to totally elimante those hoses. The stainless pipes will go right to the radiator and just have short standard hose couplers. This is a late spring project. Let me know if you need a custom set sonner.

Mike

I would think you need some longer hose couplings or a couple short ones in the system so that it won't be so rigid. I would hate for a small impact to bend a coolant pipe and ruin a large piece of the system. I'd rather have it in smaller easily replacible pieces.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: