Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this spongy hose
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvanDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: What is this spongy hose Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My son was poking around the engine compartment of our 91 Camper and found this really spongy and nearly collapsed hose. He sent me a pic and I went to the local VW dealer and they said it was no longer available.

I told him to go to the local parts store and see if there are any dimensionally correct hoses for possible replacement.
Anybody know where I can get this gem or what substitute hose I can get for this spongy nearly collapsed hose in the picture.

Thanks
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That spongy hose is trouble!

It is the hose for your oil breather tower! If it collapses enough it can, in some cases, cause your main seal to blow and you will be in a world o' hurt. REPLACE IT IMMEDIATELY! Don't drive around with it like that.

You can use a section of heater hose temporarily but be mindful of the fact that heater hose will deteriorate and it can rub on the doo-dad on the throttle body shaft.. Someone here recently posted that they put a polyethelene tube inside the breather hose like a stent in a heart patient. Very clever idea.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
powderedwaters
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depriv is right, change that mother out. Heater hose from the local FLAPS (3/4 ID Heater Hose) works fine and is way way cheaper than from the stealership. Just buy a metre of it to keep on hand. The fit is a little tighter than stock but I found a great improvement in engine idle when this hose was redone.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not US spec hose that is both a good fit and will handle the oily corrosive gasses that I am aware of. 3/4 inch silicone heater hose may be the best bet. It offers some oil resistance and can be forced over the ends. 7/8" dish washer drain hose probably fits better, but probably can not handle the oil and corrosion as well.

Of course the original VW hose didn't work very well either, the original stuff started failing within months of the time these vans were driven off the dealer's lot.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deprivation wrote:
It is the hose for your oil breather tower! If it collapses enough it can, in some cases, cause your main seal to blow and you will be in a world o' hurt.

hmmm... that's a relationship I wasn't aware of. until last week, my main seal was leaking, but had been for a while. I also noticed that hose was rotting and leaking. Mechanic fixed the mainseal and replaced the hose. Glad I noticed.
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelhead wrote:
that's a relationship I wasn't aware of.

I did not personally experience this but I remember someone here having a problem with a mainseal repeatedly blowing. Every possible, plausible avenue was investigated. After seal number three or four was installed (and blown) they were observing the engine as the ran the RPMs up and down, which caused the breather hose to totally collapse and pinch - the case pressure went up and - pow- oil everywhere.

They replaced the hose and everything was okay.

Tales Of The Unexpected, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvanDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deprivation & everybody,

Thanks for the reply and guidance. I just got off the phone with my son and he will try to get something to replace this hose from the local parts store.

I never imagined a relationship between the main seal & an oil breather hose but we learn something new everyday thanks to the collective wisdom of sites like this Cool
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sticky nomination!
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the hose on my syncro started looking like that although not rotted and leaking I installed a spring inside to keep the hose from collapsing, it's worked well for about 20K miles.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a few miles of silicone heater hose in my garage, in 5/8", 3/4" , 1" and 1-1/4". I have used it for oil breather applications and it basically lasts forever. If you need some, PM me, and I would be happy to send some out if you cover the shipping. I love the stuff, and it comes outta the trash at work!
deprivation
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbus pilot wrote:
silicone heater hose

What a good idea!
EvanDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenbus pilot wrote:
I actually have a few miles of silicone heater hose in my garage, in 5/8", 3/4" , 1" and 1-1/4". I have used it for oil breather applications and it basically lasts forever. If you need some, PM me, and I would be happy to send some out if you cover the shipping. I love the stuff, and it comes outta the trash at work!

That would be awesome, thanks for the offer, You have PM
kwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my first Westy a few days ago and just got back from trying to get it smogged (California). Emissions were fine, but it failed because of that hose. Guy said it had to be PCV. None of the local stores have it, so now I'm on the hunt for one.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwesty wrote:
Got my first Westy a few days ago and just got back from trying to get it smogged (California). Emissions were fine, but it failed because of that hose. Guy said it had to be PCV. None of the local stores have it, so now I'm on the hunt for one.

As said before in the this thread there isn't anything out there that will fit. Some 3/4" silicone all purpose heater hose is about as good as you can get.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: What is this spongy hose Reply with quote

EvanDJ wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My son was poking around the engine compartment of our 91 Camper and found this really spongy and nearly collapsed hose. He sent me a pic and I went to the local VW dealer and they said it was no longer available.

I told him to go to the local parts store and see if there are any dimensionally correct hoses for possible replacement.
Anybody know where I can get this gem or what substitute hose I can get for this spongy nearly collapsed hose in the picture.

Thanks

After reading this thread. I thought that this too I would add to my list of preventitive maintainance to be done.

Taking the advice given to get a metre, off to the parts store I went.
I bought 36" of "Green stripe 7/8" hose" @ $32/yard.

During the day I stopped back at home to have a look at the original hose. Mine did not look like the hose in the picture, it looked fine.
There is a difference between mine and this (pic) hose. Mine has the sensor in the middle of the hose, so there are two hoses.

Then I started thinking about the $32 I just laid out for 36" of hose, when I really only need 8".
Took the hose back and had them cut off what I needed off of another hose they had and got some money back.

Don't know if this new hose will fit properly but at $.85/inch it's worth a try.
I did stop into Parker hose and they said that the silicone hose would be very expensive and probably not heat rated high enough for what I wanted to do?
That was before I knew that you don't need a yard just a few inches.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silicone hose is expensive likely a dollar an inch or something, but since you don't need very much its not a big issue. Silicone will handle the little bit of heat it is going to see very well. Regular heater hose or the all purpose hose that NAPA sells will also work, but will get very hard with time from the fumes.

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
CREGAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_721_133/breather_hose.html

This is what I bought to replace mine. Is this the same thing you guys are talking about?
vanaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What is this spongy hose Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
Mine has the sensor in the middle of the hose, so there are two hoses.

FYI, that's not a sensor. It's a heating element to help prevent icing.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this spongy hose Reply with quote

vanaguy wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
Mine has the sensor in the middle of the hose, so there are two hoses.

FYI, that's not a sensor. It's a heating element to help prevent icing.

Nice! Thanks!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
EvanDJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CREGAN wrote:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_721_133/breather_hose.html

This is what I bought to replace mine. Is this the same thing you guys are talking about?

Yes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: