Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Window Regulator: Pimax Italian. The only option?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Power Window Regulator: Pimax Italian. The only option? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I need to replace the power window regulator on a friend's Vanagon. Is Pimax Italian through Van-Cafe the only option at this point, or do you know of any vendors still selling the genuine VW article?

Any feedback on the Pimax Italian unit? I've installed one of these on an Audi Coupe GT and it didn't fit very well so I'm kind of leary.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Regulator non factory Reply with quote

You will have the same experience. They work and are actually a better design ,but just not fully engineered to work properly.
I feel you are better off time and dollar wise to repair what you have. Lots of talk here on the Samba ,one of the listee's did a great job on documenting the whole procedure.
if you do decide to replace it with something else ,let me know I will buy all of the old parts from you .
Good luck.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tchristney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: save your money Reply with quote

I bought one of these when the cable in my factory regulator broke. First off, it goes in the upper half of the door, right where the factory installed speaker goes. So if you want one of these, you'll either have to do without a door speaker or patch the existing hole and cut a new one in the bottom half of the door. Bleh. Secondly, the electrical connections are different, so you'll have to desolder the connector from the actuator switch that connected to your old motor's connector and solder theirs in it's place, making sure that you get the polarity correct (unless you don't mind the window switch reversed.)

Lastly, and probably the worst, is that after I got the thing installed and was trying to determine the polarity of that connector so I could wire it up correctly, I discovered that applying 12V to the motor was not enough to actuate the regulator! I can hear the motor trying to move it, but the thing just won't make it go, without even having the window connected yet. I'm going to take it out and see if I can make it move outside of the door (in case I've inadvertently kinked something getting it in the extremely awkward location - much worse than the stock part for those that have schlepped out that thing).

If I get it working I'll make sure to post back here but even then I'm on the prowl for one from the VW graveyard about 40 minutes away because I'm not so keen on living without one speaker. If that fails I'll buy some cable and try to repair my old one, but with three crimps on it that will be a PITA as well I suspect.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How badly do you want a good one?- http://busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=43&category=43&group=70&prodgroup=559
You can call your local dealer with the part number or I have had good luck getting odd parts from these guys- http://www.vwdiscountparts.com/
tchristney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No luck at the wreckers. My next clever idea is to utilize my pilot friend to try and contact an airplane mechanic to build me a new cable. Word is that those fellows have all manner of tools for building custom cabling. Failing that I'll try a marine shop as they should also have the necessary tools. I'm crossing my fingers...

For the record, the local VW dealer reports that the power window regulator has been discontinued so the OEM part is no longer available new. Calling around to various shops with VW expertise elicited laughter.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out Interstate Auto Parts yet. They have two yards in Southern California. Diane just might have what you need.

The phone number for the shop in Lake Elsinore is (951) 471-5080 and the San Marcos phone number is (760) 736-8515.

Blair and Sons in Phoenix Arizona also has parts for Vanagons and their phone number is (602) 243-1238.

Derik at Way Out Salvage might be another option and their phone number is (479) 665-4126.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a place in NY that rebuilds these for a bit over $100, easily googleable.
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: I know is a rebuild, but.... Reply with quote

egermanparts.com has most everything original vw rebuilt for around 100 bones. here is the link.

I have ordered parts from here before, and everything has worked well...I have been happy so far is what I am saying. good luck.

http://sd.worldpac.com/arch/egermanparts/part.jsp?...ssion=null
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: window regulator Reply with quote

I have them. contact me for price info.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a manual regulator with a heavy duty Spal kit:the best thing,and it's though Wink
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this worldpac place has front heater cores! I thought they were NLA all over the place except for small runs here and there! Anybody buy one?
tchristney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. My first choice will still be to try to get a new cable built for less than $100 + shipping. We'll see how that pans out. In the meantime I need to warn anyone else off buying the Pimax part (even more than I already have done).

I did manage to get the unit to actuate the window so it clearly has enough power (it is a bit slow - but the stock units aren't exactly super sonic either). The problem is the fit. I thought that the motor going right in the speaker well was bad. But even worse IMO is that the guide for the linear gear that replaces the cable mechanism found in the VW part is right in the way of the double rocker switch that operates the window motors! Seriously.

Here is the location of the motor showing how it takes up the space for the speaker [1]. Also shown is where the guide intercepts the location for the window controls [2]. It is really quite astounding to me that they could get the part this wrong and still try to sell it. I guess they just couldn't figure out how to route the guide around the heater channels in the door. But still, their design should never have made it onto the market IMO.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving another thread from the dead.

I have one of these after market regulators.

My window does not seem to go all the way up

AND

it does NOT go all the way down (hurts my arm.)

How do you adjust these things??????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Regulator Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
There's a place in NY that rebuilds these for a bit over $100, easily googleable.

Those guys have a great website and lots of claims ,but have never returned a single E mail ,with regards to a Vanagon Regulator ..

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual,I wrote things that seem to not interest anybody..... Crying or Very sad

Spal kit deluxe on ebay with manual regulator.Though and goes fast.

Easy breezy.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trks...Categories for those who already have switches,the kit is cheaper without these Cool

I've put a couple pics on my Westy thread,I just did the right side 2 weeks ago and improved both doors mounting of the regulator.

Just need 2 spacers to be made and longer screws:

grinding: the 2 M6 holes drilled were the first test,no need.You don't even need the place between the cables,I didn't remove it,but time gave me reason:it's good as is.

Teflon spacers cut in half on the stone wheel:

Pic from speaker spot on regulator to soon receive spacers and M6 bolts.You see why I grinded the teflon spacers.

Motor goes on stock location hole,so no interference with anyhting.(bottom from of the door,by the step)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude, any more pics of the SPAL install? I really like their products, and would love to replace my ailing original PW regulators with something newer and less trouble prone.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Casey!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5325265&highlight=spal#5325265

I "forgot" to take pictures of the motor installed last time I removed the panels,it was getting dark,I was in a rush of fixing driver's door and mount the passenger door system.But I used the brackets provided (only 3 needed) and bolted that on stock holes in the door,no drilling.

I just cut the connector from the old VW motor and soldered it on the Spal wires shortened (they are many feet long!!).Golden.

Bye Wink

(I still didn't receive the last package,they're slow at USPS,that's 10 days later than what they told you Rolling Eyes ),I'll send you the link for the project build,I got stacks of parts to assemble,I'm ready after hours and hours of hunting parts and informations for it.All the way to Japan Rolling Eyes Hahaha!
I also did the ALH head gasket yesterday afternoon,looking goooood! Very Happy

Have a cool week end Exclamation
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I just checked, and it looks like your package is arriving today...which is really really late. Sorry for all the waiting. I just know that this is gonna end up as one of the coolest little minis running around the island.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
As usual,I wrote things that seem to not interest anybody..... Crying or Very sad

A few pictures and description as you finally did would have piqued interest.

My BIG question is:

Does it then fit flush so the stock electric window door panel fits with out modification??????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

A few pictures and description as you finally did would have piqued interest.

My BIG question is:

Does it then fit flush so the stock electric window door panel fits with out modification??????

If you do the spacer trick like shown on the pics,yes it will.You'll have to do it anyway,since there is a beam running inside the door that doesn't help very much for routing the cables to the crank.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: