Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Window stuck down. Please help diagnose
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Window stuck down. Please help diagnose Reply with quote

I powered down the driver's side window this morning while the glass was wet (a mistake, I know). The window is now stuck all the way down. There is no response for this window or on the passenger side window (from the driver's side control). I've read through some other power window threads, but I hope you might be able to give your best diagnosis. Given the wet glass and the fact that the passenger side window does not get any signal from the drivers side control, do you think it's just that actuator? Shorted from wetness? Should that be my first plan of attack?
vanaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: power window... Reply with quote

If indeed as you say you hear nothing...look at fuses or you have a broken wire at the door to body pivot. Inside the rubber loom.... if you can hear a click when you hit the power but nothing moves... you might try this ... pull the door panel off across the lower bottom of the door. you should not have to remove any trim or components gently pull it open to reveal the motor assembly. take a small hammer and tap on the motor while working the switch. I had a motor simply stop...this got it working again. I see this happen when I do not use the windows for several weeks or months...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87Enterprise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you open up the bottom panel and get to the window motor there are small rubber plugs to access the lower bushing. The bushing will get corrosion and crap inside. Now to get flamed, I will added a little oil when I am in there, one or two drops because the bushing will siezed to the shaft and cause your problem. The bushing is oil impregnated and dries out over time.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ssee why or how the wetness of the glass has anything to do with it.

has it been travelling slower then usual, or any additional clunk noises on occasion?
you are definately going to have to get to the relays to verify power and quite possibly then into the door panel to verify power.

Dan in NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: non op Reply with quote

I would pull the switch and test the black/red wire for power . You either have blown the fuse or have broken wires in the door jam. I would think it is a bad motor as much as bad wiring.
Turn the dome light on and press the window switch , does it dim a Lot a little or not at all ?
A lot says bad motor or stuck/broken regulator . A little says normal operation .non says No power.
These are a simple system with very little to go wrong really .

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, everyone. I do hope that the water/rain has nothing to do with the problem. I'll start with fuses and take it from there.
jmberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only the fuse! After reading so many wallet-draining horror stories on the forums, I forgot that there could actually be a $.50 solution to a problem. Relieved...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: