Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iron Lion across Europe - EURO 2012 & London Olympics
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Iron Lion across Europe - EURO 2012 & London Olympics Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have been wondering what we have been up to since we drove our bus to Cape Town last summer. (or to Beijing in 2008)

Cape Town 2010

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370281

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Beijing 2008

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241979

Of course the bus won't remain parked for very long and we've planned a new route with 2 major sporting events along the way. This time we'll start out from Amsterdam and travel to the UEFA EURO 2012 in Poland and Ukraine. From there we'll head out east towards the border of Europe at the Volga river in Volgograd (Stalingrad). We'll make a left turn and head the northernmost point of Europe, The North Cape in Norway. From there we'll travel down all the way through Norway. Then we'll catch a ferry to the UK, to reach our destination: The 2012 London Olympics. So that's 10 countries and about 8000 miles.

Of course some maintenance and upgrades need to be done and we'll keep you posted in this topic.

Once we got our bus back in Holland it went to the body shop to repair the damage that was done by a truck in Nairobi, Kenya. They also fixed up the bent chassis member (at the left front beam mount) and cleaned up some rust around the wind shield. While they were at it they also fabricated a little air scoop to aid airflow through the secondary oil cooler.

After the touché

Rear corner removed

The old panel clearly shows a PO hackjob repair.

New panel in place

Windscreen removed and rust removed, there hardly was any rust actually, but the windscreen had to come out anyway since it cracked due to some flying debris.

All done here!

Oil cooler air scoop

Close up of the air scoop

There is one more body mod, I wonder if anyone can spot it Twisted Evil

On the to do list are a few things:
- Major maintenance, engine and transmission out, clean the whole thing up, test compression, clean injection system, engine bay etc etc.
- Upgrade to MegaSquirt 3
- Total audio system revamp with over 1000W rms and sound quality as top priority.

We'll keep you posted!
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member

Last edited by MadMax78 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your trip. Bus looks hard as nails! Twisted Evil

Cool
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great guys, can't wait for the trip and a report!

Nice work on the upper cooling scoops too, very subtle.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Looking forward to following you (in spirit) and seeing all those places.

If I recall the Megasquirt failed on the last trip. Was a reason ever found for that? All I could think was that the impedance of the injectors killed it.
Bursch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadMax78 wrote:
There is one more body mod, I wonder if anyone can spot it Twisted Evil

busdaddy wrote:
Nice work on the upper cooling scoops too, very subtle.

We have a winner! Thanks

Should aid cooling, we'll see what happens
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 28.000km
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
g16stu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good guys, who did the bodywork?

All comments made are in accordance with the Rules of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME! I wish I could travel with you.. Contact me for some "assistance"!
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:

Plan on the trip to Brazil in 2014! Bring a Camper or rather ship a Camper to Suriname and drive down to Brazil.

Aren't you Dutch guys coming in 2014? There are shipments to Suriname via Rotterdam and Suriname is a great place to start (forget Venezuela ) and the road goes to French Guyana onto Brazil..Well there are a few huge rivers to ferry across but I hear its safe nowdays on the road.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
If I recall the Megasquirt failed on the last trip. Was a reason ever found for that? All I could think was that the impedance of the injectors killed it.

Yea, that's true. Just about two weeks before we set of I discovered I skipped the setting for the injector pulse width modulation, which has something to do with the voltage that the injectors operate at. Because it ran fine I didn't want to tinker with this because it could change the entire tune of the engine. If I messed something up there would be little time to get it right afterwards.
After a couple of days we got into trouble, the engine started to run lean and misfire, this may be due to this setting and the injectors overheating. We'll upgrade to the MS3 soon and start a clean setup, this time we'll have more than enough time to get the engine tuning dialled in.
The main reasons to upgrade to the MS3 is because it does real time data logging 100% of the time on a memory card, which is pretty useful. Also it has the possibility of closed loop idle control, which is pretty sweet.

Bleyseng wrote:
Jake Raby wrote:

Plan on the trip to Brazil in 2014! Bring a Camper or rather ship a Camper to Suriname and drive down to Brazil.

Aren't you Dutch guys coming in 2014? There are shipments to Suriname via Rotterdam and Suriname is a great place to start (forget Venezuela ) and the road goes to French Guyana onto Brazil..Well there are a few huge rivers to ferry across but I hear its safe nowadays on the road.

The route for 2014 is yet to be determined but it could be an option, kind of depends whether or not we'll also drive across North America/Canada or just stick to South America.
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remember reading that early injectors in general were low resistance or impedance (someone help me with the right term) and this can be hell on ECUs and such. Possibly because it's closer to a short circuit. I don't know. If I had one I'd have a lot more reason to read about specifics.
no matter what it was good that you kept the OE system intact for just in case.

Full logging sounds excellent. It would be so easy to find issues before they become problems.

Where the spare wheel mount is attached to the body, is it reinforced or anything? I only noticed on the recent photos that it is anchored to a panel. How well does it stay put?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratcamper, Impedance is the dynamic version of resistance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
I just remember reading that early injectors in general were low resistance or impedance (someone help me with the right term) and this can be hell on ECUs and such. Possibly because it's closer to a short circuit. I don't know. If I had one I'd have a lot more reason to read about specifics.
no matter what it was good that you kept the OE system intact for just in case.

Full logging sounds excellent. It would be so easy to find issues before they become problems.

Where the spare wheel mount is attached to the body, is it reinforced or anything? I only noticed on the recent photos that it is anchored to a panel. How well does it stay put?

Well, it was almost a year ago I did the basic setup, so I don't remember the measurements on the injectors. However, they are high impedance if their resistance is above 10 ohms, and otherwise they are low impedance which means they cannot run on 12V.
This is also why the original setup runs with the series resistors. Again, I'm not sure about my measurements anymore. I did set the basic PWM right, but skipped the step where you have to tune from there. You basically keep lowering the voltage untill you notice a difference in idle, from there you raise it a couple of percent and of you go.

So, need to do that some time soon and hope that solves the problems we had.

(btw, impedance is the alternating current cousin of resistance, on DC systems impedance = resistance)