Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330 ... 514, 515, 516  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Because the ball lets me mount other things to it while still being removable - and my matting up the new dash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Disko72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi! First time posting, and new bay window owner. Meet Sunshine!
Question - early on my list will be to replace the front emblem. Which appears to be a 7" fastened clumsily with two screws, not from behind using the fasteners or clips Ive seen on most websites. Any idea how or I can replace this emblem without having to drill new holes in her front?
TIA
D
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Welcome,

If you don't won't to drill new holes, you can use the 3m double sided tape that most flaps sell.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Disko72 wrote:
Question - early on my list will be to replace the front emblem. Which appears to be a 7" fastened clumsily with two screws, not from behind using the fasteners or clips Ive seen on most websites. Any idea how or I can replace this emblem without having to drill new holes in her front?

I would say it depends on what emblem you are putting on and how original you want the mounting to be. Using trim tape as suggested would be one way to go.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Disko72 wrote:

Front emblem mounting measurements
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=264673&highlight=emblem
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

This was answered a while ago but I didn't have the free time to take a look until right now I've been working on my bus motor for many many months My general grabbers have Wheel run at full lock all the way to the left. You guys said to inspect the adjusters on the beam to limit will turn radius. Attached is a photo of what my van looks like. I could not see the adjusters. My passenger wheel rubs on the sway bar at Full left but not full right. Any ideas? Did the previous owner muck with my beam?

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-27771.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hard to see from that angle. but you should have 2 stop bolts on the beam like this

Here is mine at full left turn with grabbers. See where the travel is limited by the bolt just before the bar hits the tire?

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Not all Center links had the steering stop bolts.

Make sure your sway bar is not bent or installed wrong.

Good luck
Tcash
beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hmm, ill have to see about adjusting the sway bar then because I could not for the life of me see those stops on my beam.

Follow up question. I bought a t fitting for the oil pressure switch so I could run a vdo oil pressure sender as well as the stock sender for the idiot light. In going for a test drive it looks like I have a leak from that sender area. How do you know when tight is enough on that t fitting? I was afraid of over torquing it and stripping the case threads. Any input?

For what it is worth I can continue to tighten the fitting by using my hand and grasping the sender and rotating it all as a unit. I have the VDO sender in the top port and the oem style on on the side port. My thought process was to keep as much of the weight inboard as possible to prevent from stripping out the threads and putting the vdo sender on the side port would further extend it from the motor and give it more leverage with gravity.

This is the particular one I bought.
https://www.egauges.com/T-Adapter-VW-male-M10-x-1-p/240-850.htm

Last edited by beatles4 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

It looks like you have an aftermarket (EMPI) sway bar on it that's much thicker than stock?

beatles4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
It looks like you have an aftermarket (EMPI) sway bar on it that's much thicker than stock?

Do you think mine is aftermarket too or are you just referring to the other person that chimed in with his photo of his setup with an aftermarket swaybay?

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

beatles4 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Do you think mine is aftermarket too or are you just referring to the other person that chimed in with his photo of his setup with an aftermarket swaybay?

Oops, I thought that was your photo. I can't tell with your picture if yours is stock or not.

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
beatles4 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Oops, I thought that was your photo. I can't tell with your picture if yours is stock or not.

Yeah mine is not stock. Thats the "HD" sway bay
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I am intending to have a custom sway bar made that will give extra clearance for the fatter than stock tires. I am going to do one for the rear as well as there is no reason for the rear bar to hang down the way some do. Probably go with a 7/8" or 1" front bar and a 5/8 or 3/4" rear bar.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Disko72 wrote:

Sunshine is beautiful! And she appears to be in great shape. Congratulations on a terrific find!

But I'm a little confused... She has an early bay Westy top, but a late bay body (hi lights, no step bumper). Did someone replace the pop top at some point? Or was it a bus assembled during a transitional production phase?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
But I'm a little confused... She has an early bay Westy top, but a late bay body (hi lights, no step bumper). Did someone replace the pop top at some point? Or was it a bus assembled during a transitional production phase?

It looks like a 73, early top and mostly early interior on a later body, still has the gas door though.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Good catch, Busdaddy. I missed the gas door.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Disko72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:

It looks like a 73, early top and mostly early interior on a later body, still has the gas door though.

AFAIK (and according to the PO ownership) she is a '72. She may have had some body work mid-70's, I believe the interior is orig. Motor rebuilt 10 yrs ago. However, as her 2nd owner, I would love any help in how I can identify which parts came from which year ie 72 or mid-late 70's.

Re the emblem there appears to be three unused drilled holes behind the current emblem besides the two current screws - 2 at the top and one at the bottom, so 5 holes total. Sticky tape might be the best way to adapt a new one. Any idea whether 7" emblem is the right size for a '72? Thanks for all the help friends!
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Anyone know what the small black piece of tin is with the hole in it. It is mounted on the case just below the oil breather.

Sorry about the camera angle. 1979 engine.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

bbrowncods wrote:
Anyone know what the small black piece of tin is with the hole in it. It is mounted on the case just below the oil breather.

A spark plug wire clip goes in there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330 ... 514, 515, 516  Next
Jump to:
Page 329 of 516

Jump to: