Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Rear Shifter Coupler
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
61TXghia
Samba Member


Joined: July 17, 2009
Posts: 950
Location: El Paso, TX
61TXghia is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Rear Shifter Coupler Reply with quote

Just received my shifter coupler from WW and I am going to install it tomorrow. I understand I can make room so the coupler goes in without having to remove the shifter rod. Any recommendations on this? My bus is a 62. Thanks.



Moderator summary

Overview:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Parts:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#26 = Shift coupler
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711175B
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#33 = Shift coupler grub screw
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711189
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

#22 = Shift rod boot
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211711183B

Directions:
Put it in 3rd gear, climb under bus and undo the rear bolt for rear coupler.
Push rear shift rod forward (or pull stick in cab back) to make space between coupler and hockey stick
Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler.

Tips:
The little screws have 8mm heads and most people don't have the original tool for that.
You can buy a square-headed socket or use an 8mm wrench with a screwdriver through the end to turn it.
Turn gently at first as sometimes they are frozen.
If you feel the bolt stripping, stop, spray it down with rust breaker, and wait a day to see if it will free up.

Tools:
Hazet 514 (or 2514 for the later version).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


8mm or 5/16" square socket:
5/16th square and double square examples, both Snap-on:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
62 Standard Type 2 (Nothing Fancy)
my bus: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464719
bill may wrote:
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpackrat
Samba Member


Joined: December 12, 2001
Posts: 611
Location: TX
vwpackrat is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my 67 years ago and I would think your 62 is the same. I had to replace the rear broken shift coupler at the transmission. There is another shifter rod disconnect coupler up toward the middle way of your bus (its basically a splice connection) that you have to disconnect the back nut to allow your shift rod to slide up a little bit so you can slide the shift rod forward a little bit to install the new shift coupler. Just follow the shift rod towards the front of your bus you'll see it..........

I would try first to put your bus in gear in like 2nd gear and disconnect the back coupler, and then shift the linkage forward and it might give you enuf room without having to do anything but havent tried that.
_________________
62 Convertible Bug
67 Westfalia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpackrat
Samba Member


Joined: December 12, 2001
Posts: 611
Location: TX
vwpackrat is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you do get it installed my bus didnt shift properly, (hard to get into 1st gear) due to measurements of new/old parts not exactly the same and lining up. If yours does this for some reason you'll just have to loosen up the 2 bolts on your shifter floor plate and slide forward or backward to adjust depending on which gear its hard to get into if it does it to you.
_________________
62 Convertible Bug
67 Westfalia
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61TXghia
Samba Member


Joined: July 17, 2009
Posts: 950
Location: El Paso, TX
61TXghia is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PackRat, I will give it a try and let you know.
_________________
62 Standard Type 2 (Nothing Fancy)
my bus: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464719
bill may wrote:
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member


Joined: September 19, 2004
Posts: 22451
Location: Olympia Wash Rinse & Repeat
Eric&Barb is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to grease to bolts before installing and do use safety wire.
_________________
In Stereo, Where Available!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 14, 2003
Posts: 11651

Clara is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwpackrat wrote:
I did my 67 years ago and I would think your 62 is the same. I had to replace the rear broken shift coupler at the transmission. There is another shifter rod disconnect coupler up toward the middle way of your bus (its basically a splice connection) that you have to disconnect the back nut to allow your shift rod to slide up a little bit so you can slide the shift rod forward a little bit to instried...

No, on a 62 you don't have to mess with the front coupler.

Just put it in 3rd gear, climb under bus and undo the rear bolt for rear coupler.
Push rear shift rod forward (or pull stick in cab back) to make space between coupler and hockey stick
Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler.

They changed the front shift rod mid 66; with the late ones you do need to disconnect the front rod.
_________________
The Obsolete Air-Cooled Documentation Project http://oacdp.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61TXghia
Samba Member


Joined: July 17, 2009
Posts: 950
Location: El Paso, TX
61TXghia is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
vwpackrat wrote:
I did my 67 years ago and I would think your 62 is the same. I had to replace the rear broken shift coupler at the transmission. There is another shifter rod disconnect coupler up toward the middle way of your bus (its basically a splice connection) that you have to disconnect the back nut to allow your shift rod to slide up a little bit so you can slide the shift rod forward a little bit to instried...

No, on a 62 you don't have to mess with the front coupler.

Just put it in 3rd gear, climb under bus and undo the rear bolt for rear coupler.
Push rear shift rod forward (or pull stick in cab back) to make space between coupler and hockey stick
Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler. What it the correct way for safety wire to be installed, any pictures would be great.

They changed the front shift rod mid 66; with the late ones you do need to disconnect the front rod.
Thanks Clara, my bus does not have the coupler in it at all so I think i need to clamp the shifter and tranny with some vice grips, then put it into gear that way. Is there a certain way the safety wire goes installed? Thanks
_________________
62 Standard Type 2 (Nothing Fancy)
my bus: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464719
bill may wrote:
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 14, 2003
Posts: 11651

Clara is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61TXghia wrote:
Clara wrote:
vwpackrat wrote:
I did my 67 years ago and I would think your 62 is the same. I had to replace the rear broken shift coupler at the transmission. There is another shifter rod disconnect coupler up toward the middle way of your bus (its basically a splice connection) that you have to disconnect the back nut to allow your shift rod to slide up a little bit so you can slide the shift rod forward a little bit to instried...

No, on a 62 you don't have to mess with the front coupler.

Just put it in 3rd gear, climb under bus and undo the rear bolt for rear coupler.
Push rear shift rod forward (or pull stick in cab back) to make space between coupler and hockey stick
Remove front bolt on rear coupler and remove old coupler. What it the correct way for safety wire to be installed, any pictures would be great.

They changed the front shift rod mid 66; with the late ones you do need to disconnect the front rod.
Thanks Clara, my bus does not have the coupler in it at all so I think i need to clamp the shifter and tranny with some vice grips, then put it into gear that way. Is there a certain way the safety wire goes installed? Thanks

careful with the vise grips... don't make marks on the hockey stick-- use a rag. Or the shift coupler won't slide on.
The shift rod you can push forwards by hand (unless something is serious wrong)
use wire to secure the bolts in a snugwise direction, so they can't loosen up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
The Obsolete Air-Cooled Documentation Project http://oacdp.org/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
puddnmd
Samba Member


Joined: December 16, 2010
Posts: 107
Location: Accokeek,Md
puddnmd is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clara,
How do you use wire to secure the bolts in a snugwise direction, so they can't loosen up??? do you thread both bolts with one wire then twist them or does each bolt get there own wire???.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61TXghia
Samba Member


Joined: July 17, 2009
Posts: 950
Location: El Paso, TX
61TXghia is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like each one has it's own wire.
_________________
62 Standard Type 2 (Nothing Fancy)
my bus: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=464719
bill may wrote:
Camping is cheaper than therapy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kanniff
Samba Member


Joined: October 12, 2009
Posts: 811
Location: West Coast
kanniff is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wired mine together- they cant both spin out @ the same time.

Regular cheap ass tie wire does the job just fine.



I've eaten food off dirtier places than the bottom of that bus!

JEEZ! Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB