Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing Fresh Water Lines
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Changing Fresh Water Lines Reply with quote

85 westy
question . .. .
can you change your fresh water lines from the tank to the sink without taking the kitchen unit out? i have been searching for this topic. i think i once read that the water line gets stuck in the van frame or something behind the millwork somehow and that you should attach the new pipe to the old to pull the new line through. p.s. my pump is in my tank
thanks ..
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The waterline in my '87 was attached by some clips onto the frame behind the kitchen unit. If you can get something back there you may be able to release the clips, or just run a new line and leave the old one in place on the clips.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
The waterline in my '87 was attached by some clips onto the frame behind the kitchen unit. If you can get something back there you may be able to release the clips, or just run a new line and leave the old one in place on the clips.

that's a pretty good idea.
thanks dave. i remember hearing there was something back there. do you think removing just the fridge would good enough to get back there and get at those clips ? that's on my list too.
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 clips holding the line to the wall panel. From the faucet, the first clip is about 8 inches rearward from where the line goes through the panel.
The second clip you can access through the grill on the side of the stove, by the table. It is a few inches below the fridge exhaust tube.

In mine, 91 westy, there is a union in the line 6 inches below the faucet. I seperate it there and attach the new line to the old one and just drag it
through that way.

You can't reattach the clips but when you see the crud in the old lines you won't care Wink
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroserge wrote:
There are 2 clips holding the line to the wall panel. From the faucet, the first clip is about 8 inches rearward from where the line goes through the panel.
The second clip you can access through the grill on the side of the stove, by the table. It is a few inches below the fridge exhaust tube.

In mine, 91 westy, there is a union in the line 6 inches below the faucet. I seperate it there and attach the new line to the old one and just drag it
through that way.
You can't reattach the clips but when you see the crud in the old lines you won't care Wink

SYNCRO
do you think the 1st clip you mentioned is accessible ?(By the faucet) i think that is the same spot where the LP gas lines go back to the stove. small spot.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get in there and fish a new line through, leave the old one in until you're done. Use a fish tape, or straightened out wire hanger. There's enough room to get a new line in there without taking out the cabinets. Cut back the old line after you're done and tested. It's not going into space. It won't matter if the new line is clipped in or not.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some contortions you can also get your hands on those clips that hold the hose by reaching your hand and forearm through the hookup holes on the side of the van (if your arm is skinny enough). You'll have to remove the city water and water fill hookup boxes to be able to reach in there.

This also gives super-easy access to be able to thread the new line through.

No need to reuse the clips.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAdom wrote:
do you think the 1st clip you mentioned is accessible ?(By the faucet) i think that is the same spot where the LP gas lines go back to the stove.

Yup, small black dot where the propane lines do a 90 deg. The other one is accessible too. They would pop out if you yank hard enough on the line...
but safer to push them out.
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroserge wrote:
PAdom wrote:
do you think the 1st clip you mentioned is accessible ?(By the faucet) i think that is the same spot where the LP gas lines go back to the stove.

Yup, small black dot where the propane lines do a 90 deg. The other one is accessible too. They would pop out if you yank hard enough on the line...

Thanks guys . .i now know there are clips back there and what i need to do.
Very Happy
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytriple wrote:
With some contortions you can also get your hands on those clips that hold the hose by reaching your hand and forearm through the hookup holes on the side of the van .

Or you find a 8-10 year old...old enough to follow instructions but still have pencil arms.. Smile one of my daughters even managed to get the clips back in once....the wind was howlin' in the Mojave so we had nothing better to do !
PAdom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAdom wrote:
syncroserge wrote:
PAdom wrote:

Thanks guys . .i now know there are clips back there and what i need to do.
Very Happy

found the two black dots popped them out and changed the water line . .thanks for the help guys !!
now i know the water is clean.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any pics?
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to use/remove these clips, or can you just fish new hose through and skip the clips all together?
syncroserge wrote:

through that way.

Yes, please! I'm going to check my Bentley tonight, so hopefully that helps...
randywebb wrote:
any pics?

Great idea! If my arms don't fit, will get one of the children to try. Though, I have boys, they don't follow instructions like I'll bet your daughter did! LOL
syncroserge wrote:
indytriple wrote:
With some contortions you can also get your hands on those clips that hold the hose by reaching your hand and forearm through the hookup holes on the side of the van .

Or you find a 8-10 year old...old enough to follow instructions but still have pencil arms.. Smile one of my daughters even managed to get the clips back in once....the wind was howlin' in the Mojave so we had nothing better to do !

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: