Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 Doka Tragedy to Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: 1984 Doka Tragedy to Restoration Reply with quote

Life was going well, I had my fleet of Vanagons with my 2WD Doka being the King of them all, hell even St Paddy's Day was right around the corner. Then we got a wet, heavy snow storm on the Oregon Coast; I never thought the snow would last long and with my Doka parked in its usual spot under neath the douglas firs in my backyard, I never thought to worry. But doug firs are the weeds of the Coast Range, fast growers, and week as dry pasta when it comes to high winds and heavy snow.

Well about 1:30 Am on Tuesday the whole neighborhood was awoken by the sound of the crashing limbs. When I went out side it was a mess, I couldn't even get in close, but I knew for sure the Doka would not escape unharmed:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes even my 1989 Westy was damaged (windshield, sm nose dent, rear bumper, and rear wheel well and panel):

My Doka took the blunt of this:

The rear side door:

My once beautiful gates:

I've been in shock for the last 48 hours, little sleep, lots of coffee. I have full coverage with State Farm for both vehicles, I've already started claims. Got an estimate of $2K to fix my Westy.

Took the Doka around town to my limited body shops. Still havn't heard from one yet, another felt my pain, but wouldn't touch it recommended an old experienced guy in North Bend, he took a look and says he could repair my cab and replace and match my gates, and door for $9K.

I told him I could source the replacement gates (already on that) and will look into a door (got a few leads). In regards to the door, Pawel in Europe has a replacement but we are stumped on how to reasonably ship it, anyone have any suggestions? I believe my insurance would pay for it.

This shit storm sucks, especailly the damage to the cab; however it is a miracle that none of my windows were broken; especailly the rear cab and my $300 rear slider. The gates also protected my bed from damage which I believe would be harder and more expensive to replace. The guy willing to do the repairs comes recommended as being quality, but if he goes to bang back that cab into shape, he'll have to finish with filler. Is there hope for this Doka, will it now be considered less valuable?

Anyway enjoy the drama and don't park beaneath Doug Firs, they suck! Mad

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. Hope it all is resolved to your satisfaction sooner than later.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad... Sad Sorry for your troubles.

Clearcut Coos Watershed! Very Happy

Last edited by turbotransporter on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carnage! not a good day for vanagons.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phewee...that's rough! Really sorry to see this. I hope it all works out repair wise.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaaw man so sorry to see this, take solace in it could have been worse even totaled, so you may have gotten a little lucky...still a shame so sorry again best wishes on both of them you obviously have cared well for the vehicles
danweisshaar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man. Your beautiful vans... so sorry. I hope, after all the frustration, lost time, repair and expense you enjoy them again.

Also: hope eventually you feel better than the guy in the pictured Alfa.

Locally last summer, an old eucalyptus tree's limb fell on a nearby car and killed the driver (she was waiting for the green arrow in a left turn lane). Glad at least you are safe.[/img]
pigryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man Sad so sorry to hear about your vans

Ive had that happen before but my jetta wasnt loved like my vanagons were and are
1988 Cabriolet diesel
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I feel your pain. Reminds me of one particularly bad storm in San Francisco. I left an unbolted Westy top on one of my vans which the wind picked up. It flew some 20 feet and missed my two Dokas but surgically landed on my Ruf 911SC roof. I've now got a a rough roof on the Ruf. Laughing

Anyway, replacement roofs are available again and can be ordered from your VW dealer. The problem is willingness from your dealer as Dokas were not sold through the US dealer network as you know. I bought one from a Doka being cut-up in Maryland. As for the rear door, I might be able to get you one in San Francisco. Gates too. It won't be dirt cheap but not as difficult as shipping from the EU. Trust me, I know. I've shipped a couple of sets of alloy gates, 4th doors w/ entire jambs, and even a soft canopy and a Vindic shell. Paid Pawel for delivery to a shipper in Hamburg. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend that party because the experience was not without drama.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Doka $h*t Storm Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
[/img]I believe my insurance would pay for it.

Talk to your agent. Talk to the adjuster (do NOT piss that person off.) Your agent is "supposed" to be your advocate. Make sure they understand that.

Be careful, they may well just attempt to total it all too. There are threads about this very topic of damaged vans and insurance. Yours are no different than those that are involved in moving accidents.

I HOPE that what happened is considered and act of God and is covered. Some policies do not cover wind damage, for example.

Read your policy and talk to your agent.

Sorry for your loss.

Best to you.

FYI: A good metal man can fix a lot of the damage perfect. The gates, especially the rear one will be a challenge. If it bent one way it can be bent back. Just a matter of time which is money.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: bad tree Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Sorry for the loss! Sad Now I'm even more happy that I have agreed value insurance, no need to go back and forth with them! I get what I think it's worth! PS I think I'll look out for trees! Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see these pics, hope you can get them fixed right!

I'd make sure that the trees are nothing but stumps!
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the love and pity. I am trying to get all my homework done so I can sail through with the insurance and repairs.

I just need to settle on a body smith and push the claim through to see how the adjuster (nice adjuster, nice adjuster...can I get you some tea? coffe? homemade beer?) treats or cheats me. That is the anxious part.

Already sourcing some possible gates and maybe doors too within NA. Will still need to confirm with the body smith on skills to restore that roof. Anyone in the PDX Ory-gun area know of a good and willing VW dealer who maybe able to source me some new panels through VW Classic Parts?

Anyway will document the process here as it may potentially help the community.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Sorry to see the damage. I hope you make it out whole in the end. Sad

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damage to the roof? I would almost expect the insurance to try to total it right out the gate.
Good luck Crying or Very sad
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad

i hope you get them both back their original condition soon

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. Good luck on restoring them.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man I am sorry to read this Bman. this is a really tough hand of cards.

I know this can be fixed. good luck.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/shop/

They have the rear gate listed on this site, the door, and the rear truck window panel. Pricing is pretty good. I would source all of the parts here. I was able to order my Doka Treasure Chest doors from here using a VW dealer in California. OEM original parts.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
http://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/shop/

They have the rear gate listed on this site, the door, and the rear truck window panel. Pricing is pretty good. I would source all of the parts here. I was able to order my Doka Treasure Chest doors from here using a VW dealer in California. OEM original parts.

Tony

Tony,

Were there any shipping charges on top of the VW Classic parts price?
I've used Rennie at Santa Monica VW before and when he was at Pacific VW (both in Southern California). However, I have been able to get a response from him on either phone or email recently.

A word of caution about VWCP, there is some talk that some of the parts they sell are the same aftermarket parts we can already buy from the likes of Bus Depot, VanAgain, Bus Boys, Just Kampers, CIP1, and Van Cafe (just to name a few) for less money. I don't have personal experience to relate but were told by people I've dealt with for years. In one example, it had to do with ignition switches. In another situation, it was a front wheel arch which was supposedly the same Danish made part sold elsewhere for less than half the VWCP price.

I think it is admirable that VWCP went to the trouble of canvassing retailers and shops in several parts of the world including the US when they set-up shop. It's great that they returned some parts back into production. A good example are the Syncro 16" arches (wheel flares). It wouldn't be so good to create the impression that we are asked to pay VW dealership prices for non factory parts. Of course, the tricky part (no pun intended) is they are licensed by VW. Does that then mean any part they offer should be considered as "factory parts"? I suppose I will find out soon enough once I have to order parts that I can't get from anyone else. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: