Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon ABS panel clip alternatives
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Van's Ruin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Vanagon ABS panel clip alternatives Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GW is selling deluxe panel clips for use with abs or wood panels. These deluxe clips look similar to motorcycle windscreen hardware, posted an example pic above. These windscreen fasteners can be found for .35c each as apposed to $1.57 each for the GW version.
Anyone have experience with the GW deluxe style clips? Anyone have a better source?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon abs panel clip alternatives Reply with quote

I didn't have any luck with the GW deluxe clips fitting into the holes on my early van
Ended up tossing them and replacing with some black pop out/push in generic stuff that fits perfectly.

Assuming it's not a problem on later vans, since GW seems to be late van centric.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Van's Ruin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon abs panel clip alternatives Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:
I didn't have any luck with the GW deluxe clips fitting into the holes on my early van
Ended up tossing them and replacing with some black pop out/push in generic stuff that fits perfectly.

Assuming it's not a problem on later vans, since GW seems to be late van centric.

Thanks, we’ve got an 89 and 91, so maybe no problem with that style of fastener.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon ABS panel clip alternatives Reply with quote

I tried to use the GW deluxe fittings when installing my ABS panels and didn’t like them (they didn’t truly stayed in place); ended up using rivnuts and that proved to be bomber-proof (size 10-24 fits perfectly)

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Van's Ruin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon abs panel clip alternatives Reply with quote

valvecovergasket wrote:

Do you have a link for the push in clips that you used? Reusable fasteners seem like a better solution.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: