Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Shocked

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Spent a good portion of my end of year break doing some wiring. Didnt realise it would blow out to such a big job but I probably should've known cause it's in my nature.

Tried not to butcher the original loom even though it had seen better days and made only 2 strategic hacks into it at the B pillar location to add a starter relay and a coil relay.
I also added a secondary loom for additional signal and gauge wires from the engine bay to back seat and then to the dash and also added some heavier gauge wire from the back seat relay to the front for power to headlights, front fog lights, fuel pump. Also added a new alternator charge cable because the old one seemed like it had seen a fair bit of heat and/or resistance. The coil positive didn't look like a happy chappy either so I replaced that too with some slightly heavier gauge so I can run reverse lights off it too. Left a few spare wires in there for future whatevers and hopefully I can put the wings back on soon.

The heart of the work centres around the back seat location.
I added 5 relatively standard relays and a tachometric safety relay, anti siphon solenoid valve, and inertia switch to the fuel pump with a few standard fuses to the outputs of the relays. Also added fusible links with Midi type fuses on the battery cable, starter solenoid cable and alternator charge cable.

High, low beam and fog lights each got a relay as well. I unplugged the headlights after the VW dipper relay and used them as signals for the back seat relays then run new wires from the relay back up to the wire which leads from the dipper to the headlights. I found a simple diagram here on the samba which explains it better can dig it out if anyone wants to know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks nice and neat, and should be easier to work with if you have a problem. It sure beats the spaghetti system up under the dash. Wink Nice work, even if you didn't plan to get into it as deep as you did.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

That looks nice and neat, and should be easier to work with if you have a problem. It sure beats the spaghetti system up under the dash. Wink Nice work, even if you didn't plan to get into it as deep as you did.

Thanks Bob I've yet to do a final tidy up but its basically all there now.

The thought of tampering with or adding to the old under dash spaghetti system is what drove me to this back-seat setup.
It's tiger country under the dash. Still scares me a bit.

The Spaghetti under the dash is still there but its largely intact as the original wiring so can be made sense of in the original wiring diagram.
I might even put the old 10 fuse box back on it instead of the new 12 slot i bought since the extra fuses I needed are all under the back seat now.

An Auto elec would have done it differently I'm sure. Pretty sure they would say the Hot wire terminal block at the old voltage reg location is not needed but it kinda makes sense to me this way so thats why I did it.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Was testing my wiring and discovered my ignition switch is NFG.
(No F+*#&N Good). Had to improvise due to the early Aussie built cars having a strange retro style steering column similar to that of an old Beetle or Ghia.

So the switches are no longer available but I made something that worked by cutting down a Type 2 switch and carefully drilling and riveting a support bracket.

Type 2 on the left. My original on the right.

I finished it by cutting to length and drill and tap an M5 thread

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Amongst other unique little issues, I couldn't find an original cigarette lighter for many years. Mine was missing. Just an oversized hole in the dash that wouldn't fit any aftermarket lighters.
It's a strange one, Australia specific I believe and one or two years only. Anyhow recently I managed to find the outer portion but had to make all the parts rear of the dash. I used an aftermarket socket and made the angled sleeve to keep it at the same angle as the front escutcheon piece.
The rectangular knob is supposed to simulate the vent control knobs on the dash.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Definitely some weird Aus only stuff. Never saw an angled cig lighter before in these cars. A big round hole for an aftermarket unit yes, but angled no. And that ignition switch seems almost one off. Nice work making parts become interchangeable. I know when I built my 65, I tried to use newer or modern parts whenever I could, as I wasn't going 100% stock, but rather something that I could get parts almost anywhere while out on the road. Yours is looking good though. Look forward to seeing pics of it out on the road.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Definitely some weird Aus only stuff. Never saw an angled cig lighter before in these cars. A big round hole for an aftermarket unit yes, but angled no. And that ignition switch seems almost one off. Nice work making parts become interchangeable. I know when I built my 65, I tried to use newer or modern parts whenever I could, as I wasn't going 100% stock, but rather something that I could get parts almost anywhere while out on the road. Yours is looking good though. Look forward to seeing pics of it out on the road.

I swapped the inner steering column for a collapsible unit for some added safety but the outer housing I kept original because it would have involved cutting up the dashboard and welding in the US style mounts for a column with the clamshell style ignition barrel and indicator stalk housing.

You can see the style of the switch housing and under dash clamp is nothing like the US cars with the full clamshell from the dashboard to the back of the steering wheel. Although I agree mine is not as aesthetically pleasing I kinda like it's unique look. I got a little crazy and decided to polish it as well as the indicator stalk. I would not recommend doing this. It was a very time consuming process and they results will never be perfect. They also oxidize real quick in a manner of days so it needs a clear coat which becomes a high maintenance coating.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

I always thought it odd that VWoA decided that the steering column was the one thing they drew the line at in not having like the German counterparts. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
I always thought it odd that VWoA decided that the steering column was the one thing they drew the line at in not having like the German counterparts. Laughing

They must have had too many beetle indicator stalks to get rid of.
It doesn't even have a steering lock.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I imported a nice 64 notch 20-25 years back from there to San Diego. Loved it and the differences to a German one. The care taken to make a print of the salt and pepper material for vinyl is crazy as well. Copying the wrap around strip on the door panels as well. Like a poor mans "S".

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
notchboy wrote:

I imported a nice 64 notch 20-25 years back from there to San Diego. Loved it and the differences to a German one. The care taken to make a print of the salt and pepper material for vinyl is crazy as well. Copying the wrap around strip on the door panels as well. Like a poor mans "S".

That's interesting you say that. I've seen a few salt n pepper vinyl seats pop up on the Aus type 3 FB page. Some people were curious about it's existence when most people understand salt n pepper to be a fabric. Even the basket weave vinyl pattern on my original interior is different to US and Euro cars. It's far less bold. Unfortunately can't be replaced if it rips. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to reinforce the back of the vinyl before it rips.

I can see why the Australian production didn't last long. Only selling a few thousand cars per annum, retooling for a significant amount of yearly variations in every model and obsolete parts inventory would have been very hard to make profits even with the import duty and tariffs for fully imported vehicles. They tried to pivot by assembling CKD kits from Germany but eventually the whole manufacturing venture folded. I heard they dumped everything at the tip and the manufacturing records were lost. That's why it's impossible to get a birth certificate for an Australian built car.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
notchboy wrote:

That's interesting you say that. I've seen a few salt n pepper vinyl seats pop up on the Aus type 3 FB page. Some people were curious about it's existence when most people understand salt n pepper to be a fabric. Even the basket weave vinyl pattern on my original interior is different to US and Euro cars. It's far less bold. Unfortunately can't be replaced if it rips. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to reinforce the back of the vinyl before it rips.

I can see why the Australian production didn't last long. Only selling a few thousand cars per annum, retooling for a significant amount of yearly variations in every model and obsolete parts inventory would have been very hard to make profits even with the import duty and tariffs for fully imported vehicles. They tried to pivot by assembling CKD kits from Germany but eventually the whole manufacturing venture folded. I heard they dumped everything at the tip and the manufacturing records were lost. That's why it's impossible to get a birth certificate for an Australian built car.

With all the history I read it just sounded like a forced, half hearted venture. My opinion strictly, like Australia wanted VWs but Germany was stingy? Or maybe the other way around? The whole CKD thing and producing some parts in Australia seems forced. Maybe Australia wanted an economy boost or maybe protect home manufacturing at the time? Simon Kelly is good on this stuff.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bahama blue '66 Fastback build (Aus) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

With all the history I read it just sounded like a forced, half hearted venture. My opinion strictly, like Australia wanted VWs but Germany was stingy? Or maybe the other way around? The whole CKD thing and producing some parts in Australia seems forced. Maybe Australia wanted an economy boost or maybe protect home manufacturing at the time? Simon Kelly is good on this stuff.

I agree with that. Simon Kelley's book is an excellent read for finding weird stuff that was built around the world. I believe Supa had an Aus beetle and steering column in his 64 Notch. He bought it and had it shipped to Texas, so he could install it. He found it was easier to work with than the German unit, and parts for it were easier to find (bug parts).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25
Jump to:
Page 25 of 25

Jump to: