Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

connorsvw2 wrote:
I had hoped to get these almost 3 years ago but they've been out of stock everywhere until now, apparently. Looks like a very good fit for those of us running 15 inch wheels.
Disclaimer: I've never seen or run them. I had to get WRC3s, which I do like a lot.

https://www.discounttirezone.com/radar-renegade-at5-20570r15-100h-xl-p-50756.html

These radar tires look great! One question though: they say 3 ply, aren’t we supposed to be looking at tires that are at least 6 ply?
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Dunno about 6 ply vs 3 ply. These are XL rated 100 load tires, unusual in this size. Everything else seems to be 96 or 97 load rated. Also 3 peak severe snow rated. In my book ticks all the boxes.
'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Howdy y'all, I have a 1990 Westfalia syncro with the original 14" rims and I was running on Kumho 205R14C tires, which have now been discontinued. Does anyone know of a replacement tire that's still being manufactured that will fit my van?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Howdy y'all, I have a 1990 Westfalia syncro with the original 14" rims and I was running on Kumho 205R14C tires, which have now been discontinued. Does anyone know of a replacement tire that's still being manufactured that will fit my van?

Please peruse the excellent information in the first post of this sticky…Kam’s done your homework. Good stuff. Cool

- Dave

(Personally, I’m a fan of the General Grabber AT/X on my 2WD)

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Quote:
(Personally, I’m a fan of the General Grabber AT/X on my 2WD)

Thumbs Up

I use and like them on my tintop syncro...
norcalvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject: Mobelwagen 512B Interceptor Wheels and Defender 2 Tires Reply with quote

Greetings!

Writing today with a first impression of my new set up:

'84 1.9, stock; just turned 130k miles
x 5 Michelin Defender 2 215/55/16 97R XL
x 5 Mobelwagen 512B Interceptor 112x5 ET23

Bought the wheels from MW website on sale at $126.99/ea
Tires from Costco website at 161.99/ea with free install/mount/balance

So all in all about a $1700.00 upgrade from stock steelies mounted with
BFG KO2's from 12 years ago new.

SOOOOO FREAKING QUIET!!! Oh and handles a little bit better.
No noticeable acceleration issues. I had to remove the small bolts
on the rear wheel hub but no issues with fit and clearance all the
way around and 2cm clearance of sliding door.
Pix when I can get a round tuit`
alanmacleod2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

From the main thread:
"the load range of all P-metric passenger car tires must be reduced by 9%, even when XL or RF. Be vigilant when shopping for P-metric tires for your van"

I don't dispute the 9% decrement to tire weight rating, I just don't understand why tire manufacturers would code-rate their tires to a higher rating then the tire's actual safe load capacity. Wouldn't this leave the tire manufactures liable to lawsuits.

Can someone please explain.

Thanks,
Alan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

i have a stock 86 caravelle (non 4wd)
does a 195/80/14 fit without any mods?
thanx
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
BigPapaV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Just wanted to add my tires for others' info / reference - LT235/85R16 installed by previous owner; rear diff is 5.43, tranny gears all standard (I think). At 75 mph engine is going 4000 rpm and it's always made me a little nervous first time I jump in after a long hiatus.

I wouldn't really recommend this size because they're a few inches too big and rub on the inside of the wheel wells on sharp turns if shocks are depressed at all. Even driving up a small driveway / ramp into a gas station at the same turn radius as any standard stop sign is enough to make them rub. Flat ground they're ok. Maybe this could be considered like some kind of "maximum semi-functional size".

I haven't checked if there are spacers installed, but previous owner's receipts say he put in extended wheel studs in the back.

I'm planning on going down to 235/70R16 which will maintain a beefy sidewall, and I'm thinking it'll help reduce engine rpms at speed while torque comes up for easier hill climbing. Maybe Falken Wildpeaks since my brother has them on his 06 FJ.

https://www.amazon.com/Falken-Wildpeak-AT3W-Terrain-Radial/dp/B01C53CDJA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

BigPapaV wrote:
Just wanted to add my tires for others' info / reference - LT235/85R16 installed by previous owner; rear diff is 5.43, tranny gears all standard (I think). At 75 mph engine is going 4000 rpm and it's always made me a little nervous first time I jump in after a long hiatus. At 75 mph engine is going 4000 rpm and it's always made me a little nervous first time I jump in after a long hiatus.

I'm planning on going down to 235/70R16 which will maintain a beefy sidewall, and I'm thinking it'll help reduce engine rpms at speed while torque comes up for easier hill climbing.
]

I may be misunderstanding, but a smaller diameter tire size is going to increase engine rpm. The 4,000 @ 75 will now be, approximately, 4250 rpm.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

BigPapaV wrote:
Just wanted to add my tires for others' info / reference - LT235/85R16 installed by previous owner

I don't want to sound like I know it all, but from the variety of things you mention about rubbing, etc, I would not think these tires belong in the category of fitting...

Fun to look at tho. Thanks!
alanmacleod2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

All,

Would the following tire be suitable for an 1986 Base (no stove or refridg) Camper (GVWR 5160 lbs):

Nokian APT (215/65/16)
Load Index: 98
Load Range: SL
Max. Pressure: 47 PSI

Thanks in advance,
Alan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigPapaV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

I may be misunderstanding, but a smaller diameter tire size is going to increase engine rpm. The 4,000 @ 75 will now be, approximately, 4250 rpm.

Ah you know what, I think you're correct.

I guess what I'm shooting for really is for the tires not to rub, slightly better gas mileage (currently ~16) and not to be painfully slow on inclines haha. Driving out to Zion up the long grades toward Las Vegas we were doing 55-60.
tdivan82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Adding another data point. 1982 Westy, stock suspension height. Not sure these tires are still in production though, the date codes on them are 2012.

Kumho Road Venture A/T size LT215/75R15 on Ronal R9 wheels. Stock brakes F&R.

Zero rubbing or clearance issues. No spacers. Slider clears the rear tire... just barely.

In the gearbox: Swepco 202
Andross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Anyone tried Minerva tires beforeÉ not crazy about straying away from my usual Nokian, Goodyear, Continental, but getting sick of calling tire shops to find out nothing is available. Price is CAD btw

Andross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Okay nm pulled the trigger on a set of Radar RV4S tires 205é65é16 107é105 for $140 CAD per tire as recommended by the local shop. Shout out to Integra Tire! Kal Tire could not find any tires that would work...

I guess time will tell...
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

[quote="VicVan"]Another good candidate (cross-posted from the self-destroying Nokian WRC3s topic from May 2023):

Looks like this is the replacement for the Nokian WRC3s:

https://www.nokiantyres.com/all-season-tires/nokian-tyres-seasonproof-c/

These are not for sale in the USA. I asked . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dono Be
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I did it...I was worried about the size of the tires and rims.

This is a Before pic of 225/55/16 rubber on my
16"x7.5" Mercedes rims.
I bought VW rims 16"X6.5" with tires and the center bore was too small for the front end. I contacted them T3 technique and they gave me all the information I needed about spacers and that guy is knowledgeable. He has an awesome sight and lots of product for fitment of tires.
https://t3technique.com/

Here is a before and after pic... side by side of my new 215/65/16 on the 16"x7.5" Mercedes rims

Thanks for all the info on here.

Dono
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
thanx

to answer my own question: they do
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

karl h wrote:
karl h wrote:
thanx

to answer my own question: they do

Indeed! Thumbs Up

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 57

Jump to: