Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flex Plate Bolts
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Flex Plate Bolts Reply with quote

What is the secret to installing the three flex plate bolts on a type 3? I have been installing them through a cutout I made in the area under the car. Engine removal takes 45 min. Install takes 2 hours because of these mother fin 3 bolts. There has to be a better way that I don't know about.
My Old 70 Squareback
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have a problem, just rotate engine until you have the thread in view then insert bolt? is your engine from an auto trans car? if not it won't have the notch cut out to line up with trans notch so less access...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6007222#6007222
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Shutt wrote:
I didn't have a problem, just rotate engine until you have the thread in view then insert bolt? is your engine from an auto trans car? if not it won't have the notch cut out to line up with trans notch so less access...

Mine is a universal case. Can you post a picture of the access hole/notch you talking about?

My engine is a gex rebuild, so I am assuming is a universal case and might have all the cutouts.
My Old 70 Squareback

Last edited by one4house on Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
Mark Shutt wrote:

Mine is a universal case. Can you post a picture the access hole/notch you talking about?

My engine is a gex rebuild, so I am assuming is a universal case and might have all the cutouts.

that could be your problem! on the tranny side of the bell housing is a notch, it should be mirrored on the motor side for ease of access.. you can Dremmel this out easy enough..

I'll try and find a picture.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ground a 1/4 moon shape out of the case with a rotary file on our drill. If you sweep up the shavings you can start a Hot magnesium fire for a minute or so with a propane hand torch.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
We ground a 1/4 moon shape out of the case with a rotary file on our drill. If you sweep up the shavings you can start a Hot magnesium fire for a minute or so with a propane hand torch.

I would love a picture of said shave area. Are we taking under the car or up top? I was thinking up top last night, but I was also so mad because of it taking so long that I didn't dare go near it with power tools least I might have cut the entire car in half. Embarassed
My Old 70 Squareback
Mark Shutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's underneath to match the cut out in the bell housing side, on the left hand side.

one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Shutt wrote:
it's underneath to match the cut out in the bell housing side, on the left hand side.

I will give it a look this afternoon. The car is still on stands right now. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure that something will jump out at me when I am looking. Hell, it is probably right there in my face and I am doing it the hard way for no reason.
My Old 70 Squareback
rustyfastback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a photo of an automatic case, note the cutout in the lower right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

side by side comparison with a standard case
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:

I like that one. When I was growing up, my dad had a VW / Porsche shop. he did a lot of performance work for both crowds. This was way back when they would run auto crosses in supermarket parking lots and they ran a lot of sportsman classes at Laguna Seca.

Needles to say, I had a large supply of magnesium shavings. They were a little hard to get lit, but when they took off, it was like fireworks. Then I would hit them with a fine spray of water and the flames would shoot up higher then my head. Life was good Twisted Evil
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
Here is a photo of an automatic case, note the cutout in the lower right.

side by side comparison with a standard case

I definitely don't have an automatic case. I have taken a grinder to mine and made a place to get up there, but it isn't as much as the auto case. I would be afraid that there isn't enough material cast in that area on a regular case.

My issue now is that I have to wedge the bolt in, hold behind the hex head with a flat head screwdriver and use open of my wrench pray a thread catches. Because of how I have to hold pressure with the flat head, it often does not want to start.......It is a fcking pain in the ass. That is the nicest thing I can say about it.

I might need to quit being a Pussy and just the grinder back after it.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

I like that one. When I was growing up, my dad had a VW / Porsche shop. he did a lot of performance work for both crowds. This was way back when they would run auto crosses in supermarket parking lots and they ran a lot of sportsman classes at Laguna Seca.

Needles to say, I had a large supply of magnesium shavings. They were a little hard to get lit, but when they took off, it was like fireworks. Then I would hit them with a fine spray of water and the flames would shoot up higher then my head. Life was good Twisted Evil

Surprisingly enough, guitar picks burn in the same fashion. I'm not sure what material they are made of, but they burn baby burn.
My Old 70 Squareback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cases were all cast the same. I've seen pictures here of different 1/4 moons & full square cuts like this picture from the Factory & elsewhere later on. They are all one off & different. I just ground our 1/4 moon out until I could start the bolts with my fingers and tighten with an end wrench.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
Multi69s wrote:
Mike Fisher wrote:

Surprisingly enough, guitar picks burn in the same fashion. I'm not sure what material they are made of, but they burn baby burn.

probably nitrocellulose like pingpong balls are made of which is an explosive.

yes I have burned vw magnesium parts on the bon fire at home. its like a sun in the paddock that burns for nearly an hour Cool

71 Aussie notchback, the money pit
92 VP vacationer, old faithful never die
95 VR executive, Restored beyond factory
92 VP S Pack, bought it new old
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: