Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

As I still ponder my engine swap choices and as I put aside a starter issue / coolant leak in sub zero weather issue that happened this weekend...just breath...., I've been contemplating a steering wheel swap for a while.

I have the larger (brown) 1985 non-power steering wheel steering wheel. Not a fan of how large it is and have thought about going smaller. I'm wondering if anyone has tried putting a smaller later model wheel on or a Eurovan steering wheel on a non-steering wheel van? Would it dramatically change how hard it would be to turn the wheel?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. I dig the huge wheel. I think it would be hard to turn (especially parallel parking).

This is how I feel driving the van

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

Small wheel on manual is only super difficult to turn if you are not moving. Once you get going a bit, it can be turned more easily. My upper arm strength gets a workout when I drive my mom's 1951 McCormics/Farmall M. Many folks with modern vehicles just don't get the idea you got to allow the wheels to move a bit in order to turn if you don't have power steering boost.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

Also OP some people are adding electric power steering to their manual steering vans.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

You could put some marks on the spokes of your wheel at the diameter of the smaller wheel and try turning with your hands in that "choked-in" position. Not exactly the same motion, but it would give you an idea of how much extra force you would need to exert.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

I prefer the larger wheel for better visibility of the gauges.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Agreed! I had an '84 with the bigger non-power steering wheel. I replaced it with a later wheel that was in better condition. I didn't really notice much difference in the strength it took to turn it. As bobbyblack says, without power steering it's easier to make sure you're moving while turning the steering wheel.
What frustrated me was how the smaller wheel blocked my view of the gauges. I know it depends a lot on your height and seating position, but for me the new wheel covered up the tops of the speedo and tach where the needles spend most of their time on highway drives. I was constantly leaning over or trying to crouch down to see them. If memory serves me right, the P/S wheel is about 2" smaller in diameter. So if the top of the steering wheel is right at the top of your gauges now, it will block the view with the new wheel.
Maybe it's not a make or break to some, but personally it bothered me enough I eventually switched back to the original wheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Exactly! I also prefer the way the bigger wheel keeps my chest open and puts the wheel rim in my hands with my arms on the rests. Its much less tiring to drive than the smaller wheel.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. Never dawned on my about it blocking the instrument panel. So, with later model vans, is the steering wheel blocking the panel, or are the interior dimension of the vans different?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Why I swapped the small P/S wheel for the non-P/S one.

thomast wrote:
So, with later model vans, is the steering wheel blocking the panel, or are the interior dimension of the vans different?

The console/panel is the same. You lose the ability to see the tops of the gauges (like your highway speed and RPMs above 2000). Not ideal. Maybe take a piece of paper and cut an arc that represents the visibility you would lose and tape it to the wheel and see for yourself.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

It was damned hard steering after bolting on the wide tires (225/55R17) so I installed power steering. I originally thought I would upgrade to the PS wheel for more leg clearance getting in and out. However it turned out the PS was weaker than I expected. After 18 months of PS I have completely lost the desire to run a smaller steering wheel.

FYI this ’83 has the PS spindles and the diesel Jetta pump. If you put PS on the manual steering spindles you get more leverage. I’ve been told the Jetta pump is a big improvement over the Vanagon pump, but that would be unverified.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

This Jetta wheel is in both of my vans. My Tintop had a bad PS Rack and I ran with no belt for a while turning it into a manual rack.
It really was not hard to turn the wheel and my wife had no problem driving it like that either.
You will lose the tops of the gauges with the smaller wheel but you can still see the needles and you should know where they are
pointing too regardless of the wheel size.
For me I like the smaller wheel and all of its drawbacks.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I'm in the same boat. I dig the huge wheel. I think it would be hard to turn (especially parallel parking).

This is how I feel driving the van

This poor pretend sailor....... does he know that he is standing on the wrong side of the wheel??

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: non-power steering, steering wheel - going smaller - bad idea? Reply with quote

I think he's just a cutout. They don't think much.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: