Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rear heater hose
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: rear heater hose Reply with quote

So im moving my rear heater to the drivers side wall. The coolant tees under the van are 5/8 main with 1/2" side hose barb. The barbs on the heater core are 5/8". In buying heater hose ive gotten 5/8. Is this the restricting point ive heard of people putting a hose clamp on to create.

So i can just get a 5/8 tee and add a hose clamp somewhere on that/those .
Farf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the flow restricter is integral to the rear heating valve. Since you are relocating the heater, your plan using 5/8" tubing and barbed T's will work great.

Edit: On second thouht, 5/8" tubing from the branch T's under the van may not fit through the existing rubber grommet's and penetrations that the 1/2" tubing were routed through. Better check it out first.

Last edited by Farf on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
antimatter47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to replace my heater hoses, so I was just reading up on this. As I understand it, the factory restrictor is the hoses going down to 1/2" at the tee end. If you replace with 5/8" tees and 5/8" hose, you should add a restrictor.

Van Cafe sells this one that you just put inside one of the hose ends.

Or there's this one that is an actual fitting that the hose clamps to.

When I do mine I'm also going to install Rocky Jennings' upgraded rear heater valve.

Hope this helps.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Thats interesting. My van came with 5/8 x 1/2" tee and nothing else. Both lines in and out . When i did my suby swap i plumbed the heater with the same fittings and new hose. The ID of the 1\2" fitting is still way bigger than the one with the smaller hole.I had purchased a new rear core and it didnt last 6 months. Too much pressure? I thought it was just a crappy reman part. Do any of you suby 2.5 guys have restrictors?
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't entirely understand the last post but the original hose is 1/2" from the tee to almost the core. At the core the molded hose flares to 5/8". The idea behind the restriction is that if the tee under the van were 5/8" all around and the pipe was the same diameter, the coolant will preferentially take the shorter, equal diameter path through the rear heater. This would drastically slow or stop coolant to the front heater and put additional pressure on the rear heater too I guess.

FWIW, the right size (maybe even stock vanagon?) lug nut shoved into a 5/8" hose will effect the same restriction as the plastic restrictors for sale online.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was kind worded funny. I guess my point was that the ID on my fitting is 1/2"and the plastic restrictor looks like 1/4 to 5/16". Should i restrict it more. I got one answer i needed and that will to use 5/8 tees for simplicity and make a restrictor. Now only question is how small of a hole to put in it.
1vw4x4
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resticker is located right at the heater core, in one of the hoses.
It is the size of a coin and has a hole in the middle. I've only seen these on
early water cooled vanagons. I can only assume these are not really necessary.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DO need the reducer to get good heat up front...VW didn't put it there for nothing.They came on all Vanagons with a rear heater.
On page two of this thread I describe in detail how to change to common 5/8 heater hose and a correct and cheap reducer to replace the factory unit.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6959367&highlight=#6959367
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
JTbeaufort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: rear heater hose Reply with quote

Found this thread more useful in dealing with heater hose issues than any currently in the FAQ, any reason this isn't in it?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: rear heater hose Reply with quote

JTbeaufort wrote:
Found this thread more useful in dealing with heater hose issues than any currently in the FAQ, any reason this isn't in it?

Ummmm...... Because we are human, have families, jobs and other interests?
We also sleep....... We don't and cannot see everything..... Help us...... This can indeed be added to the FAQ,s...... 🤔💤
(Added to FAQ)

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: More detail Reply with quote

1vw4x4 wrote:
The resticker is located right at the heater core, in one of the hoses.
It is the size of a coin and has a hole in the middle. I've only seen these on
early water cooled vanagons...

I'll second this. I'm redoing my hoses and this thread was very useful. I've got an '84. Taking the hoses off the back-seat heater unit, I was on the lookout for this restrictor. It doesn't look like the aftermarket Lowe's/HomeDepot part referenced above. It tends to come off with the hose and would be easy to overlook and throw away with the piece of hose coming off the heater. It's a plastic piece 3/4" long that actually fits into the out-going, top pipe of the heater. It fits into the pipe and engages lightly and wants to stay there. Then it flanges out to the outside diameter of the pipe (inside diameter of the hose, i.e. 5/8"), for the thickness of a coin or washer. This is why it would tend to come off with the hose. It has ~1/4" donut hole in it, for the coolant to flow through. The standoff washer (Lowe's hdwe piece) referenced above, stuck into the hose, would have the same function.

All this is referenced in the Bentley, but pictured so small that you can't get any idea of the actual part. The Bentley shows it placed in the top outgoing pipe, as it was on my vehicle.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rear heater hose Reply with quote

FWIW, without the restrictor you can loose cooling capacity. Since many like myself often leave the rear heater valve on during of the summer, without the reducer you will be shortcutting a significant volume of coolant through the heater. Is this a problem on the Vanagon? Don't know, but have had a problem on other rigs.
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: rear heater hose Reply with quote

The proper size of the reducer (called a steel spacer at the hardware store) is 5/8"OD x 1/4"ID x 3/4" long.
Busfixer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: rear heater hose Reply with quote

I decided to replace my rear heater core, hoses, and shut-off valve on my one family 1988 Westfalia yesterday. Nothing had been touched on the rear heater since it left Wolfsburg in 1988.

I used the correct 5/8" x 1/2" tapered hoses, a new heater core, and an aftermarket heavy duty ball valve designed for this purpose.

When I removed the heater and old hoses, I did not find the restrictor as depicted in the Bentley Manual. So I replaced the heater core, hoses, and shut- off valve and put everything back together. This morning, I had second thoughts about the missing restrictor and decided to install a 1/4" version.

But first, I looked through the original VW shut-off valve in full open position. To my surprise, the ball passage (opening) was far from a round hole - instead it was significantly restricted and had the shape of a 1/4 crescent moon. Now the missing restrictor made sense - it was designed into the valve opening in 1988 models!

I had purchased 2 of the new aftermarket ball valves, so I had an extra. I placed the new ball valve in full open position and peered through it. The opening was a full round circle but smaller than I expected. Using drill bit shanks, a 1/4" would pass through the valve opening but 5/16" wouldn't. Bingo! My new valve had a built-in 1/4" restriction and no auxiliary restrictor was necessary!

It's probably not a bad idea to measure dimensions 30+ years after these VW's were made. The Bentley probably had an 83 - 85 rear heater diagram in it. I would double check everything to make sure SOME restriction is present or you might not have much front heat!

Thanks, Busfixer
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: rear heater hose Reply with quote

Busfixer wrote:
I decided to replace my rear heater core, hoses, and shut-off valve on my one family 1988 Westfalia yesterday. Nothing had been touched on the rear heater since it left Wolfsburg in 1988.

I used the correct 5/8" x 1/2" tapered hoses, a new heater core, and an aftermarket heavy duty ball valve designed for this purpose.

When I removed the heater and old hoses, I did not find the restrictor as depicted in the Bentley Manual. So I replaced the heater core, hoses, and shut- off valve and put everything back together. This morning, I had second thoughts about the missing restrictor and decided to install a 1/4" version.

But first, I looked through the original VW shut-off valve in full open position. To my surprise, the ball passage (opening) was far from a round hole - instead it was significantly restricted and had the shape of a 1/4 crescent moon. Now the missing restrictor made sense - it was designed into the valve opening in 1988 models!

I had purchased 2 of the new aftermarket ball valves, so I had an extra. I placed the new ball valve in full open position and peered through it. The opening was a full round circle but smaller than I expected. Using drill bit shanks, a 1/4" would pass through the valve opening but 5/16" wouldn't. Bingo! My new valve had a built-in 1/4" restriction and no auxiliary restrictor was necessary!

It's probably not a bad idea to measure dimensions 30+ years after these VW's were made. The Bentley probably had an 83 - 85 rear heater diagram in it. I would double check everything to make sure SOME restriction is present or you might not have much front heat!

Thanks, Busfixer
Thanks for the update. I can only say our '84 had the restrictor in the upper hose, and also got the GoWesty updated valve when I installed the new heater core and valve combo. Rear heat is good with new core, so even if I have 'double' the restriction, it seems to be working okay... Think Think

If the Rear Heater core ever fails[ okay, WHEN it fails... Wink Wink ]
, I'll have to revisit all of this and look at the internal of the GoWesty valve that we got.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: