Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

i need brake advice!!!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vergen34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: i need brake advice!!! Reply with quote

HI all,
I just recently took my 64 type 34 ghia out of storage of six years and am getting her show, and road worthy again. I replaced my leaking rear wheel cylinders and bled the brakes about four times. I cant seem to get any pedal pressure unless I pump them up. there doesnt appear to be any leaking, or air in the lines anywhere else. should I replace my master cylinder? It seemed to work when the rears were leaking.. when I pump up the brakes they work great. Ten seconds later the pedal hits the floor. I feel like i've overlooked something. Shocked
brent67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you losing brake fluid (have to keep topping up reservoir) or does the pressure just bleed away? If you are not losing fluid I think the logical culprit is the master cylinder. IMO, I would replace all the flexible lines after sitting for so long and flush all the old fluid from the system. Better safe than sorry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Brent. You might also try adjusting the brakes a little tighter, so the wheel cylinder doesn't have to travel as far to bleed.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely check the flex lines. Hell, I'd say spend the $$$ and replace them outride. Your life depends on properly functioning brakes, and there's no sense in skimping in that department.
vergen34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: brakes Reply with quote

Thanks everbody,
Im going to replace the master cylinder today and replace the flex lines with stainless braided ones. hopefully this will help, itll be a nice rainy saturday project, again!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: