Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Owners Roll Call!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatherDaughter73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Just bought a 73 a week ago. I knew it had a good bit of rust esp rockers and the floorpans would need to be replaced. As I get it cleaned out it's a little intimidating considering I've never welded but not afraid to try/learn. If any of you have been through it and can offer any tis they'd be much appreciated.

Can anyone tell me what the hard line is that runs under the passenger side from front to rear? Mine is rusted through and I've just begun digging into it like I said so haven't yet discovered where either end leads.

Is there anywhere I can get a Thing-specific manual?

Thx
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Congratulations on your acquisition. Good luck on the restoration.

Hardline on the passenger side is part of the fuel evaporation system. It connects the expansion tank in the frunk to the charcoal filter under the right rear wheel well.

You can find a downloadable “Shop Manual” for your 181 in the technical section within this website. It’s more of a compilation of other book but it does contain a good deal by of 181 specific information.
rhubarbray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Suppose I should have started here first rather than start posting. In late August my wife aquired a yellow 74 Thing from my brother who owned it for 6 years. So keeping it in the family. My brother just drove it around his town in Northern Ontario and didn't really do much to it. I've slowly been going over it and realizing it needs a bit to get it back up to where it should be. Been having fun, learning a lot, spending my wife's money, Wink
I'd always seen and heard of enthusiast groups for the old air cooled VWs but now that I've opened the door and walked in..........damn! This is whole 'nother world!!
oldcarsguitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

I have owned a few Things over the past 25 years and just brought home another one that is fortunately better than it looks!!
Lol
RocklinDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Owners Roll Call! Reply with quote

Been away a while, (aka) kool1. Herbie the love bug guy. Just my ole Thing

Now just a hotrodder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30
Jump to:
Page 30 of 30

Jump to: