Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Oil Cooler Thread (AAZ)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Another Oil Cooler Thread (AAZ) Reply with quote

What do you Diesel guys use for an oil cooler? Also, how and where did you install it? I need to get some ideas before I can move forward with my project.
I am thinking of an auto tranny cooler, from the turbo output, then looped back to the oil pan intake (instead of the 5 inch hose that is in the way of the skid-plate!).
Thoughts?
BTW- My turbo has been swapped out. I believe the original was a K-14 (?), and I now have a K-24.
The oil return hose had to be custom made, and now I can't reinstall my skid-plate!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil cooler on a syncro without spare wheel under the front ?

Look here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cooler is from a old MB van 6 serie and costs here about 70€.

It is possible to disconect the coller with 2 srews and 1 line, and you can change also the oil in the cooler. 10 min more work and all oil out.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS a good idea, but I do have the 15" spare in the original spot. The pictures of the cooler in front of the radiator was the look I wanted, but my question has more to do with connections in the back.
The oil return line from the turbo goes strait to the pan. What if I took that line, and put the cooler on IT, and then brought it back to the pan. Would that work?
This is also where the return hose hits the skid plate....
Also, do you think that would work with TUV?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect you'd see much volume out the turbo discharge fitting. It would certainly be the hottest oil.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The turbo discharge is gravity flow only. Any added resistance at all will cause the oil to back up in the turbo and flow unchecked past the shaft seals which are not positive seals but rather piston ring style. Doing what you propose would blast oil out of your exhaust and into your intake very likely causing runaway and the resultant engine damage.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, Mr. Libby!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On each of the external oil to air coolers I have added, I have used a thermostatic sandwich plate at the oil filter. With that setup, when the oil is cold, it bypasses the cooler and is sent directly to the engine oil gallery. When hot, it passes through the cooler and then on to the gallery. The result is that when the oil is hot, the coolest oil is fed to the engine. In theory it might be better to send the hottest oil to the cooler, but because all hot oil returns to the pan by gravity flow, that is not possible without an additional pump.
ryanoceros
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently added a Vanistan oil cooler kit to my AAZ Syncro. The unit works very well, as my oil temps are much more stable at highway cruising speeds, and hover around 210-220F. The cooler works as Libby describes above--with a thermostatic sandwich plate adapter that sits above the oil filter. Chris (tencentlife) was very accommodating with my diesel application, as his kits are typically applied to WBX engines. He just let me cut the hoses to fit the AAZ, instead of sending the hoses with all fittings installed as for a WBX.

Head to his website for more info:
http://www.vanistan.com/oil_cooler_kits.html
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spin-on or sandwiched adapter...

To an oil filter, if you used a spin-on... which, incidentally, drastically decreases the mess during oil changes. Smile

To a thermostat... (yes, you need this.)

then depending on oil temp, either back to the engine, or all the way up front to a 21-row plate cooler from B&M. I hacked half of the fresh air scoop out to fit this here.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone- just an update:
So, after swapping in an AAZ engine, I got used to the behaviors by giving it a good run-in: Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, Luxembourg, Germany. The temp gauge was just past the LED for most of the trip.

After returning, I solved the oil return line issue (from the turbo)(K24 btw), I was able to bolt the skid-plate back on. From THAT moment, I have been running hotter. Once, the needle went almost to the HOT! Shocked

So, after adding vent scoops and cutting vent holes on either side of the license plate, I swapped out the radiator. A little better. Needle still gets up there on the highway (I try not to go past 110 kph (68 mph) and I've heard top speed for a Syncro is 125 kph (77 mph)).

So, yesterday, I put in the Vanistan Oil Cooler. EASY install! On first run though, the fan spooled up at 'normal' operating temp (needle firmly over the LED).

I drove home from the shop on the highway, just to gauge the effect of the upgrades, and this time, the needle stands just to the right of the LED again. I have to say though, his driving characteristics are a little different....

Normally, I get him to highway speeds, and it's a struggle to maintain the high end of 100-110 kph (62-68 mph). After adding the oil cooler, I was surprised to see I was doing 115 (71 mph), and the engine wasn't screaming. I watched the needle almost as much as the road, and it never moved past the right side of the LED.

I don't have any ACTUAL numbers for temp, but I am interested in opinions. Preferably from those with more Diesel experience than most. This is my first Diesel, and I'm trying to understand it's normal parameters.
I cannot use the experiences from the JX as a baseline, because that motor was DOA (1 liter of oil per tank of fuel?).
Thanks!
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I have a few questions that maybe the Samba can answer.
First off, I went and bought an IR Thermo scanner.
The under-hood temps don't seem so bad. The manifold is running 400-ish, the coolant lines are around 190 (140 on the radiator), the oil filter around 175. The oil cooler is running 160, but the fan is going whenever I'm not driving. If I stop for two minutes, the fan starts up.
Oh, and speaking of stopping, my radiator fan starts up after I parked and turned the key off.
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need an oil temp gauge to see what effect it's having. Before the cooler went in I was seeing oil temp spikes of up to 250-270 deg on long uphill pulls. The engine coolant gauge never moved at all. I don't think the small heat exchanger can dump that much heat into the coolant efficiently enough for the coolant temp gauge to register transient hot spikes, it stays in the oil until it bleeds off eventually.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: