Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

During the last week of October my wife and I wanted to do an overnight road trip in our 1987 Westfalia that we found earlier this summer. This Westy has a super-clean interior. The fridge worked great on all three modes on this trip. The sink, water pump, beds and pop top all worked perfectly.

We live in the Central California area, and my wife and I decided to use our National Parks “America the Beautiful” Pass that we used on a three week tour of several western states this past summer (we drove my wife’s new car… the Westy or my Baywindows would not be up to the task without considerable work). This pass cost $87.00 delivered, and is good for entrance at all national parks for one year from date of issue. Ours will expire early this summer, but I highly recommend this if you are into seeing several parks in a season, as it really saved us a lot of money on entrance fees.

I thought we could go to Yosemite National Park, and figured the summer crowds would be long gone. Laughing I was dead wrong on that account. Total madhouse and completely sold out campgrounds throughout the park. Mad I was glad to get the hell out of the Yosemite Valley traffic jams, and was happy I did not run anyone down as they bumbled into oncoming traffic with their kids in tow. With the four year drought still cooking along and this being early Fall, the waterfalls, etc. were uninspiring.

I thought we could head up to Tuolumne Meadows and perhaps up to Tioga Pass; places I had never been. It would also give me a chance to see how the Westy would do with a fully loaded outfit and four people over mountain grades, while within the AAA Premier towing range. Pray

We were in for a treat! The Westy performed absolutely up to my expectations, and we had no troubles at all, sans for an out-of-commission tachometer (my fault from reading bad advice a couple of weeks prior) and some problematic hot/fresh air dashboard control venting issues.
The biggest issue was no place to camp, and being the madhouse Yosemite usually is, I figured we would get bothered if we just pulled over and set up... lots of camping rules here. So we headed out Hwy 120 towards Buck Meadows on a suggestion that there might be vacancies out that way. Nope! A host told us that it is allowable to pull off the road in the Stanislaus National Forest (not the National Park) and most of the time the USFS Rangers won’t hassle people. We found a day use area in the Stanislaus National Forest and parked overnight anyway and had a hot dinner and went to bed. The van's appointments have excellent usefulness, and very easy to use. Nice Westy! Free camping! Cool

Next morning we headed up to Tioga where I basically lied to my wife about “I just want to see the summit” with a secret intention of coming down the backside and furthering our trip and likely causing the kids to be very tired at school on Monday. ...totally worth it in my book. Just hope I don’t have any problems!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We saw just a few Westfalias, no splitties and I recall just two Baywindow buses. Here is a young man leaving Lembert dome parking lot obviously living life to the fullest... and see the Eurovan?

On the way to Tioga, we were getting hungry, but I told the kids when we got to the summit there should be a place to park and I would make lunch. But eastbound road leaving the Tioga gate does not really have a place to park, and certainly no parking lot. It was cold and windy, and I could easily see my 'past self' trying to light my Coleman stove perched on some rocks out there. Car camping is cool, but can be seriously challenging to care for a family of four. But today… no problem! Pulled off the shoulder, parking reasonably level and popped up the top and again made a hot meal for four!

Here's someone entering the park, clearly on board with the program:

This is our lunchtime view:

I cleaned up my kitchen while the kids hassled each other out in the snow and I made some fresh coffee. I suggested to my wife that we should see the back side of the Sierras and go out into the desert. By now, she was getting really comfortable with the Westfalia possibilities, and she was sold. It was a great experience for all of us. The dramatic change in landscape was a marvel.

Down the mountain through Lee Vining Canyon our first stop would be Mono Lake. We stopped at the Mono Lake center, and caught the last showing of the interpretation film. That was neat, and it cleared up a few old questions in my head and also proved me wrong on a couple of notions. And the stickers are starting to accumulate!

Then we put some serious miles in on Hwy 395...

Near Mammoth Lakes, we pulled into a rest area, and I spied a hose bibb for RVs and so my son and I topped off the water tank.

We got to Bishop, and were still having a great trip. My wife surprised me by her getting a little jazzed about seeing this shop. She made a note of its location and suggested in the future we could call on them if we needed to. She tolerates and mildly encourages my VW enthusiasm, but this trip seemed to give her more encouragement. Guess that's what happens when everything works and the trip goes well!

Not a single meal was had outside of the Westy until we got to Lone Pine. I decided for the sake of appeasing two kids and my desire for onion rings and a charbroiled burger, we would stop at Burger King. I regret that, still. The amount I paid for that meal and the quality of it made cooking in the Westy with a bag of fresh groceries very appealing. Rolling Eyes
Anyway, we made it home that night about 10PM, and I am happy to say we had a great, uneventful trip. The usefulness of the Westfalia accommodations cannot be understated. The fridge worked great on all three modes on this trip. As I write this in December, the 12VDC side does not seem to function anymore, but the two fuses are good. Just need to get in there and see what’s going on. Interestingly, the propane mode stays lit while running down the highway, even though I expected it to blow out. Previously, my son and I had the 'fridge out on the workbench for a thorough cleaning, testing and adjusting.

The 2.1 liter power plant is a bit slow on acceleration by today’s standards, and most cars/vans/trucks do a lot better than 40-45 MPH up steep grades, but I don’t even care. I am totally fine with this, and it does what I ask of it. I really enjoy the ease of the automatic transmission, too.

Total mileage on this overnight trip: 648
Total quarts of oil used: Zero
Total gasoline: Failed to keep track, but I am thinking 19-21 MPG
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, great photos, trip I hope to make someday!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goldtooth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Nice! Look just like our 87 did when we bought it.

nate
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
Thanks for sharing, great photos, trip I hope to make someday!

If you do, plan it earlier than you think you need to. Reservations for campsites fill quickly. I bet New England is looking very pretty right about now!

goldtooth wrote:
Nice! Look just like our 87 did when we bought it.

nate

I was surprised at how stock/unmolested this van is. There is some seam rust under there, probably due to the van living in the Santa Cruz area for many years. Some GoWesty upgrades, but this is basically a very stock situation. Right now I am installing the GoWesty water cooling hose kit and replacing the radiator shroud pieces. Also replaced the tach with a good one.
Satch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Great write up and pics! Nothing like a family adventure in a Westy. I hope to do this trip sometime in the next year or so.
Satch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Any thoughts on the less powerful Air cooled making this trip? I have an 83 AC and I am concerned about some of the grades, etc..

Anyone else have any experience going to Yosemite in an air cooled Westy?

Again, thanks for sharing.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Great trip! Glad it went well and that your family bonded with the Westy. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The West Coast Westy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Satch wrote:
Any thoughts on the less powerful Air cooled making this trip? I have an 83 AC and I am concerned about some of the grades, etc..

My thoughts on that... I have not actually ran either of my air-cooled Vanagons on trips yet- they are both not runners at this point. So maybe I am disqualified for offering an air-cooled Vanagon opinion. However, I have driven air-cooled buses off and on for may years. IMO, all of these power plants... air or water cooled... are underpowered if you are looking to maintain maximum speed limits uphill, or trying to go 0-60MPH in five seconds. Razz

That said, I have yet to be troubled by any VW power plant that is properly tuned and maintained. I don't believe the 2.0 air cooled is significantly weaker than the 2.1 wasserboxer. Where the air cooled gets hot and burned up is chiefly due to improper air/fuel ratios, hacked or missing air flow tin, or a driver who is lugging the engine. Seek out Samba user asiab3 and you will see a success story of an air cooled bus driven balls out on a daily basis. I have no idea where he gets the time to make his road trips, but read just a few pages of his thread, and you will not be afraid of the air-cooled motor:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524552&highlight=miles+smiles

As far as the Vanagon and its air-cooled motor goes, I think it has considerable improvements over the 1600cc Type 1 engine like what asiab3 has in his bus. Vanagon engine management and the greatly improved Type 4 engine design should give you years of faithful service if you properly tune and maintain it. However, the biggest weakness I see in the Type 4 design is a tendency for valve seats to collapse and the seats come loose. But I chalk this up to overheating due to poor maintenance, missing cooling tin, fouled air flow passages or improper air/fuel mixtures where a lean condition exists raising cylinder head temperatures.

I think if you have all of the tin in place, your engine is mechanically sound and properly tuned... and you do not try to keep up a five-liter engined car or truck going up Cajon Pass, you would be just fine.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Satch wrote:

I did about 12 to 15000km this summer in my AC Westy, lots of trips over the rockies here in Canada. I can't imagine there will be much worse in Yosemite. Van did great, no issues at all, other than a little slow in the 100km/h areas uphill!
Satch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Thanks to both for the replies regarding the air cooled. Some great info and highlights on what is possible with a well maintained AC. I have no issues with going slow. I rather enjoy it.
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

As far as the aircooled vans go...

I have a 1980 P22 Westfalia van (no fridge or stove or propane, but still a sink and icebox)
After putting a rebuilt engine in it and various other fixes the wife and I drove it from SoCal to Louisiana and back this last April. The van did great and turned in ~14MPG. This was a lot of "high-speed" freeway driving obviously, but it did 70-75 for hours without any problems.

Since that trip I've fixed various things in the Fuel Injection system (rebuilt AFM, rebuilt Aux Air Valve) and I now have it starting and running very good and it is now turning in 15MPG on the highway.

Definitely make sure it is properly tuned, and that the heater tubes and the engine tin are all hooked up and sealed.

I have had the van up to Big Bear here in SoCal several times and it does just fine. Slow up the steeper bits, but it will still do an honest 35-40 in 2nd/3rd with two people, a full water tank, and gear. I've taken it up and over Onyx Summit at ~8500ft elevation and it just keeps on chugging along.

I would definitely invest in a wideband O2 sensor if you have an aircooled van. It has given me a lot of peace of mind to be able to double-check the AFR to ensure the van is running well.

A lot of people also install Cylinder Head Temp sensors (The Detroit Digital version is popular). I have not yet, but a CHT is on my list of farkles to add.

Wasted youth wrote:
Satch wrote:

My thoughts on that... I have not actually ran either of my air-cooled Vanagons on trips yet- they are both not runners at this point. So maybe I am disqualified for offering an air-cooled Vanagon opinion. However, I have driven air-cooled buses off and on for may years. IMO, all of these power plants... air or water cooled... are underpowered if you are looking to maintain maximum speed limits uphill, or trying to go 0-60MPH in five seconds. Razz

That said, I have yet to be troubled by any VW power plant that is properly tuned and maintained. I don't believe the 2.0 air cooled is significantly weaker than the 2.1 wasserboxer. Where the air cooled gets hot and burned up is chiefly due to improper air/fuel ratios, hacked or missing air flow tin, or a driver who is lugging the engine. Seek out Samba user asiab3 and you will see a success story of an air cooled bus driven balls out on a daily basis. I have no idea where he gets the time to make his road trips, but read just a few pages of his thread, and you will not be afraid of the air-cooled motor:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524552&highlight=miles+smiles

As far as the Vanagon and its air-cooled motor goes, I think it has considerable improvements over the 1600cc Type 1 engine like what asiab3 has in his bus. Vanagon engine management and the greatly improved Type 4 engine design should give you years of faithful service if you properly tune and maintain it. However, the biggest weakness I see in the Type 4 design is a tendency for valve seats to collapse and the seats come loose. But I chalk this up to overheating due to poor maintenance, missing cooling tin, fouled air flow passages or improper air/fuel mixtures where a lean condition exists raising cylinder head temperatures.

I think if you have all of the tin in place, your engine is mechanically sound and properly tuned... and you do not try to keep up a five-liter engined car or truck going up Cajon Pass, you would be just fine.

1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

next time make the trip to MT, the drive will be long from where you're at, but totally worth it in all regards. Wink

excellent photos and trip log, it looks like you have done what I want to do... Glad your westy was good to you. Very Happy

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

DwarfVader wrote:
next time make the trip to MT, the drive will be long from where you're at, but totally worth it in all regards. Wink

excellent photos and trip log, it looks like you have done what I want to do... Glad your westy was good to you. Very Happy

Thanks!

This summer our trip plan will hopefully take us to the Oregon coast and up to Olympic National Park... maybe even Victoria, B.C. by ferry, but in 2017 I hope to go through Banff, AB and on to Glacier N.P. Hopefully, time and money will permit this!
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
DwarfVader wrote:

Thanks!

This summer our trip plan will hopefully take us to the Oregon coast and up to Olympic National Park... maybe even Victoria, B.C. by ferry, but in 2017 I hope to go through Banff, AB and on to Glacier N.P. Hopefully, time and money will permit this!

Glacier NP, Kalispell (really the whole flathead lake area,) Missoula and the Bitterroot valley (I'm in Missoula,) all of these places are equivalent to most national parks in this nation in my opinion. (Glacier being one itself of course.)

Tons of places to camp that are in the mountains and stunningly beautiful wherever you go, I camped at Swan lake up near Seeley this year and it was amazing even in mid-Sept.

Also you'll miss out on the part of National Parks that always makes me want to avoid them... the sheer volume of people... A week in the flathead lake area will beat most NP's hands down, with less people, better camping, and a much better vacation over all.

Also... if you come through Missoula... I'll buy the first round.

Last edited by DwarfVader on Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

On a whim in July my son and I drove his van out to Yosemite for the first time. We camped at the lower Lee Vining campground at the foot of Tioga pass one night. First come first served and there were almost a dozen spots available even during peak season in Yosemite. The sites are rustic but have bear boxes for food and having Tioga pass as a backdrop during dinner is amazing.
The campground is kind of hard to find but worth the visit if you haven't made reservations somewhere ahead of time.

eeebee Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

I love that drive, and I love the eastern Sierras. There is a great BBQ place in Big Pine right on the highway that I would recommend, Copper Top BBQ. Next year go a little earlier and see the fall colors. See http://www.californiafallcolor.com/ for up-to-date reports.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

No westy I know... but here's what Salmon Lake looked like at sundown in mid-Sept.

*Salmon Lake, MT

Camping was right up against the lake, and was fantastic. (and there are 4 other lakes within 20m of this one that are equally amazing during spring/summer/fall... and even winter in a couple cases.)

Last edited by DwarfVader on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

Is that in yosemite? The terrain that I saw there was different.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Is that in yosemite? The terrain that I saw there was different.

The above photo is from beautiful Big Sky country, not Yosemite.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report - 1987 Westy through Yosemite N. P. Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
On a whim in July my son and I drove his van out to Yosemite for the first time. We camped at the lower Lee Vining campground at the foot of Tioga pass one night. First come first served and there were almost a dozen spots available even during peak season in Yosemite. The sites are rustic but have bear boxes for food and having Tioga pass as a backdrop during dinner is amazing.
The campground is kind of hard to find but worth the visit if you haven't made reservations somewhere ahead of time.

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely consider that for the future!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: