Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Storage options abound under my Van...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Storage in our Vanagons is an ongoing challenge for almost anyone who camps. The finite amount of storage our little boxes provide has led to some most creative solutions for many a Vanagon owner. Adding our current CHC roof solved some storage issues for us while camped, when compared to our original tintop, but I have long contemplated how to get more storage while traveling.

Towards that end I have been imagining a raised, modified Westy roof, or perhaps a modified Country Homes Campers roof to replace the CHC roof I have now. Here are two renderings to give you an idea of my thoughts:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But, the downside with either of these solutions is the overall height with a raised roof poptop. On the one hand, it wouldn’t be any taller than the roof box I ran before installing the CHC top. On the other, storing weight lower keeps the center of gravity lower, improving handling. Lots to consider. Not to mention I would have to build the damn thing.

Lady Shadetree and I typically prefer to leave our hometown of Riverside, California as soon as we get off work on the eve of our vacation. That quite often means we’ll get out of town, get as far as we can, and then sleep at a truck stop or rest area until the next morning, before continuing on to our destination. Because of this preference, I judge all storage solutions by how much crap I have to move to make out the bed. Wink

Currently all of our chairs, tables, portable heater, clothing and overflow food take up space behind the back seat on trips. All I want to do is find an alternative location for most of it.

There is an alternative to the modified top solution I really should pursue before I take the monumental task of creating a brand new top. Many years ago I gave up some coveted storage space, under the back seat, to two 110AH deep cycle batteries, required storage for the 100W Solar Panel on the roof.

I have long considered where to relocate them to. Since I have a 2WD, the area above the trans is appealing as it would utilize totally wasted space.

But not when I factor in my other consideration, how to improve the weight distribution of my van. Over the years, the weight on the back has steadily increased. It started with a Nissan Pathfinder spare tire carrier, then batteries, CHC poptop, etc, etc. With each addition, the handling of the van has slowly declined.

It is interesting to notice how Lady Shadetree’s choice of seats influences the handling performance of the van. Not surprising, the front end tends to float more as more weight shifts to the back. So I’ve wanted to move some weight back up front for quite a while now.

I’ve discussed the idea of moving the batteries to the original spare tire location before, but it is time to get off the porch and put my ideas to use.

The first step is to build a mount to locate the 2 batteries directly in front of the crossmember.

The new bracket utilizes the original mounting locations for the spare tire carrier. At the front of this battery section, struts will tie into the frame rails to support and stabilize the weight of the batteries. By unbolting the struts, the battery tray will hinge down for access, using a floor jack for control. Those 4 tabs seen will be for the battery hold downs.

The front of the battery tray (top of the picture) has hinges for the yet to be built storage tray that will span the rest of the space behind the front bumper. This section will open just as the spare tire carrier did, by unbolting it at the front and hinging it down.

Bolted in place on this storage clamshell will be a couple of ammo boxes I’ve had in the garage for years now. The ammo boxes will provide storage for items like a spare CV, alternator, fuel pump, filter, etc, etc. Stuff I've got stored under the drivers seat now.

Aluminum diamond plate will be fitted inside the angle iron to provide protection and aesthetics.

I’ve ran out of time and energy tonight to work on it. I still need to build the clamshell frame, cut the aluminum, buy a few bolts, and run the wire to the back. I purchased 10 feet of #2 welder wire to run from the batteries to the solar controller / car battery relay, which will remain under the back seat. I’ve ordered two 200A fusible links to put on each end of the wire run. The batteries will ground to the frame rails.

I’m excited to see if my chairs and roll up tables can be stored under the back seat when I’m done. If not, that area above the trans is still whispering to me…

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Interested to see where this goes.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Good job moving the batteries under the van. The rear seat storage is more valuable than a place to store batteries.

Here is my fuel tank holder and removable 3 gallon fuel tank for my diesel Espar D2 furnace. The fuel tank holder is installed between the frame members beside the sliding door.

So much storage space under the Van!
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Shadetree, you may have thought of this already... If you used the original spare tire holder with a blue barrel cut up, would the two batteries fit inside there? Maybe more storage in that than two batteries.

FYI, I am only couch speculating.

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

No link handy but memories abound!

1) An Aux battery box under the van in the area of the sliding door.

2) A compartment cut into the floor just inside the sliding door with an interior access door.

The biggest problem with under vehicle storage is ease of access...... Rather nothing is easily accessed and it has to be stuff you really don't need but you feel the need to bring anyway. Shocked yeah..... I do that too! Embarassed

In defiance of online advice, local naysayers along with my old plain common sense....... I installed a front 2" reciever hitch.
Into that I slipped a small carry platform, on top of that I strap a carrier bag and into the bag go those things that you need but are bulky and hard to store. Things you don't want wonking you on the back of the head should very bad things happen.
For me? It's folding Rocking Chairs! Yes..... Big, bulky, not really heavy but Oh! So very COMFORTABLE!!! (Rocking chairs also do NOT sink into sand, mud or soft ground.)
It is One of the luxuries we bring traveling......
Those foldup seat contraptions just don't cut it for us..... Vacation is about comfort, relaxation and joy..... Not tolerating a second rate seat because it folds up small! Laughing

Now with this front carrier you'd think..... "Uh Oh..... That's gonna OVERHEAT!!!"
I'm happy to report after almost 9,000 miles of travel nary a sign of overheating! That is with AC and passing through 97 degree hellish temperatures in North Dakota!

This photo shows it last Summer, I've since heated and bent up the 2" tube to give a little more nose clearance. Some have questioned the legality of a front extension like this but I've yet to locate any prohibitions about such a setup and I Passed many Many MANY Police in that 9,000 miles!
One even spent an hour with me while I made an emergency repair walking around the Van Chatting with my Grandkids and talking about his Classic WWII era Jeep.

You want up front weight? Here you go! With the front hitch the spare tire area is still completely accessible.
I was given my front hitch by a member here, but I did make a thread on it and how to make your own......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=608290&highlight=

Anyway..... Great ideas! Keep them coming.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Can I ask you what is the pixel size of your images?
There is no way they are able to be seen on a limited poor internet connection! Can you resize them if they are full size images? It might just be my internet connection.

Anyway, what are you going to do about the heat coming off the radiator cooking your batteries?
I had the idea of doing the same spare tire location, but haven't gotten time to do it yet. Some thoughts I have on this are:
The survival space blanket material "Mylar" is excellent at stopping heat. If you can find that in a tape and stick it onto a cover shield I'm thinking that would help.
Or the thermal foil backed sound insulation would also help.
Or if you had the front spoiler mounted you could duct some air up from that to blow in under any cover you put over the batteries to get some less hot air blowing off the radiator fan. that would be helpful during the cooler months, but the heat coming off hot asphalt during the summer...
Or ducting the radiator fan airflow so it doesn't blow over the batteries.

It might be an idea to put a thermal probe in there to see what the temps are during a drive? If anything, the area could be turned into a food warmer if it gets really warm!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

OP hosted the images in DropBox so their size could be quite large......
Vanagon related content is best hosted here, not only to prevent image loss but for enhanced speed at seeing the images.

My rocking chair? Not Vanagon related, hosted on PhotoBucket.....

Although with my high speed FIOS I haven't noticed a download lag..... Cool

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

I wish I had you guys internet connections!
half the time when I open a thread and it is large picture files I just close the thread....sucks! Crying or Very sad
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Thanks for the alternative under van storage locations, and the front bumper location. It reminds me there are still plenty of projects to do to add storage under the van instead of building a custom poptop. The storage above the trans and inside the slider door can be made accessible from inside the van. Think Looks like I will never need to build a cool hightop poptop. That's too bad, it would have been cool.

djkeev wrote:
OP hosted the images in DropBox

I host my photos on Dropbox 'cause that's the way my granddaddy did it back in the day, and if it's good enough for him... Laughing Actually, when I first started posting in the Samba, it was the easiest way for me to post a picture. Too lazy to learn a different way I guess. I will add that I have nothing against hosting my photos on the Samba, and can't understand the knee jerk reaction of eliminating the offsite host links for everyone because someone on here pissed me off.

akyrie wrote:
If you used the original spare tire holder with a blue barrel cut up, would the two batteries fit inside there?

I have seen that suggestion before. I even started looking around my garage for the original spare tire clamshell to investigate that option further, but didn't find it. But I wanted sealed space for storage and open space for the batteries for air flow. In the end, I thought I could have better control of placement if I started with a clean sheet design.

Steve M. wrote:
Can I ask you what is the pixel size of your images?

Anyway, what are you going to do about the heat coming off the radiator cooking your batteries?

Several years ago, tencentlife asked me the same thing about my pictures, as he had slow internet as well. From then on I started resizing all my photos to 600 pixels. EXCEPT for one I neglected to adjust in this thread. Embarassed I have corrected it this morning.

In regards to heat, to be honest I haven't given it any thought at all. Why? Because almost every front engine car I've worked on has the battery in the engine bay, and a few actually have it in the radiator flow. But when I'm done the ammo boxes will naturally deflect that radiator airflow around the batteries. *EDIT* After looking again, the air will flow out of the radiator, OVER the ammo boxes, and down across the batteries. Still not too concerned. It would be interesting to se what temp the air is at that point, 18" from the radiator and mixing in with air leaking into the flow from the sides.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'74 Jeep CJ5

Last edited by shadetreetim on Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Tim: I solved some of my storage problem by fabricating a metal box to fit up under sliding door. Its permanently attached and I access it from a hole cut into floor directly above it. I then made a strong steel door to cover the hole and it also serves as a stand for a jack.
Also you might consider a full width westy rear seat, (the wood one) This will yeild more room because its higher than the standard seat, has no metal to deal with and its lighter.
I have the plans for the storage box if your interested.
You can see this for yourself at CHC event at Joshua Tree next month.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I wish I had you guys internet connections!
half the time when I open a thread and it is large picture files I just close the thread....sucks! Crying or Very sad

you might want to try something like this: https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/data-compression
or http://www.opera.com/turbo

it will optimize the image sizes and send you smaller ones (among other things). it will also send all the traffic through another server, so if you're very concerned about security/privacy that could be issue.

i'm sure there are other things for windows/mac, certainly lots of fake/snake oil type things.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

also, love the ideas tim. however, i'd be a bit concerned about battery acid in the face. i guess you must have gel type ones or similar.

presume you've seen the peacevans battery box: http://peacevansseattle.com/specialty-mods/

shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

DLJ wrote:
Tim: I solved some of my storage problem by fabricating a metal box to fit up under sliding door.
I have the plans for the storage box if your interested.
You can see this for yourself at CHC event at Joshua Tree next month.

Thanks Dave, I remember you telling me about that box and want one of my own. I'll have to get those plans from you.

atomatom wrote:
also, love the ideas tim. however, i'd be a bit concerned about battery acid in the face. i guess you must have gel type ones or similar.

presume you've seen the peacevans battery box

Not too concerned about it, and mine are standard deep cycle batteries from WalMart, not gel. Theoretically it could happen if I dropped the batteries down suddenly, but that isn't something I would do to a bottom access battery storage on any vehicle. I hadn't seen peacevans battery box. Looks like a beautiful job building one. Thanks for sharing their info.

FWIW, I have had battery acid in the face before. Way back in 1984 I owned a '52 Ford 2dr Sedan, Flathead, Fordomatic, 6 volt, '54 Chevy Grille with extra teeth, Lowered, Moon Disk, etc. Cool ride. Anyway, wrenching on it one weekend I was charging the battery, and leaning over with my face 6" from the battery tinkering with the distributor. Apparently I was trapping the fumes of it charging, and a spark from the distributor ignited those fumes. I remember seeing the top of the battery disintegrate with a big boom, next thing I remember is laying on the ground with my ears ringing, glasses knocked off my face. I ran into the house and frantically sprayed my open eyes with water at the kitchen sink. Then my wife rushed me to the hospital where they flushed both eyes with saline solution. They put stitches in my lip where a tooth had broken off, and my forehead where a shard had gashed me. About 14 stitches total, if I remember correctly. My entire face was bruised. I looked like I went about 3 seconds with Mike Tyson in his heyday. Laughing Not my finest moment. Shocked Embarassed Confused

Needless to say, I don't take unnecessary risk with batteries anymore. But in this case, I don't see a risk with prudent caution when servicing.

Got a little progress done this morning. Finished up the tray and struts.

The struts are built of square tubing with 5/16" allthread run inside it. All nuts are nylocks. Battery hold downs are flat stock and 1/4"/20 allthread.

'74 Jeep CJ5
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

This isn't a stab at anyone in this thread, but just bringing up a few points to consider.

I'm not sure how many people will put much thought into this, but the further away the heavy objects are mounted from the vehicle's center of gravity, the worse the handling will be. So given the choice (and often times were are not), mounting the heavier items closer to the center of the van will yield better handling characteristics. If we look at Dave's front basket set up versus Tim's battery set up mounted closer to the center of the van, assuming they both add the same amount of weight to the tire contact patches, Tim's set up would handle better than Dave's. It's the same principal that applies to mounting heavy things up high on the van (roof) versus putting them on the floor of the van. The more top heavy the van is, the worse it will handle compared to that same weight placed low on the floor. Again, keeping as much weight mounted as close to the van's center of gravity (or below the center of gravity when considering the vertical aspect) as possible will optimize the handling.

Packaging is often a compromise, but it's still good to have goals that help to improve things overall rather than make them better in some areas and worse in others. Just something to consider.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:

In regards to heat, to be honest I haven't given it any thought at all. Why? Because almost every front engine car I've worked on has the battery in the engine bay, and a few actually have it in the radiator flow. But when I'm done the ammo boxes will naturally deflect that radiator airflow around the batteries. *EDIT* After looking again, the air will flow out of the radiator, OVER the ammo boxes, and down across the batteries. Still not too concerned. It would be interesting to se what temp the air is at that point, 18" from the radiator and mixing in with air leaking into the flow from the sides.

Yep, your right about that with the batteries up there with engines getting all the heat. They still seem to work don't they.
I just had a picture in my mind of some the spare tires I've seen with cracked sidewalls from sitting down there and getting the most life out of the batteries. If I can avoid the heat I will.

atomatom wrote:

you might want to try something like this: https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/data-compression
or http://www.opera.com/turbo

it will optimize the image sizes and send you smaller ones (among other things). it will also send all the traffic through another server, so if you're very concerned about security/privacy that could be issue.

Thanks for that info, it sounds like it might help. I might try it, but experience just tells me to grin and bear it or get grumpy about it! It's a problematic connection and software isn't going to fix it. I'm on a boat and the antenna was moving a lot last night, but what really sucks is my chair is on wheelsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
... getting the most life out of the batteries. If I can avoid the heat I will.

I agree with you in general. Unfortunately there are no perfect answers for the placement of these bulky batteries. At least they will be in moving air. I'll have to think about a way to build a shield around them.

'74 Jeep CJ5
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

First.... Christopher..... I'm an old fart running 90 ponies with an Automatic, I'll move over for you when you come up behind...... Superb handling isn't on my short list. Cool besides...... It's lawn chairs!

Second, I know the amount of heat passing through that radiator tunnel is IMMENSE!!!!
A Pre-Summer job is pulling the shift lever, carpet, etc and putting in some reflective barrier to tone the blast furnace down that is the shift lever area!!!

I for sure would consider some sort of thermal barrier for the flooded lead acid batteries there...... Just the electrolyte evaporation could be enormous from the heat and they aren't going to be exactly easy to check and top off frequently.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Heat? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I for sure would consider some sort of thermal barrier for the flooded lead acid batteries there...... Just the electrolyte evaporation could be enormous from the heat and they aren't going to be exactly easy to check and top off frequently.......

Dave

All the concern over heat has me wondering why I didn't think it was that big a deal. It's not like I didn't consider it before I started this project. But with my limited knowledge on the subject, my observations have been anecdotal at best. Perhaps trying to understand the reasoning behind decisions automakers made without being privy to their data is not good enough. Embarassed

Like this '55 Chevy. Notice the battery way up high under the hood, which would trap heat, and directly over the exhaust manifold, which radiates heat, and in the direct airflow downstream of the radiator. A trifecta of heat. Shocked

Or this Saab Turbo. The stock battery location is directly in the line of fire; of a really hot radiator, and an equally hot intercooler. Perhaps even a Trans Cooler and an AC Evaporator, all shedding heat into the airstream across this poor battery.

Okay, so those are older vehicles. How about this 2012 Golf R, whose battery in a box is directly behind the radiator, just as it is in my wifes 2012 Tiguan 2.0T. At least they used a box, right? 60 years of progress in battery protection yields a plastic box?

Automakers don't seem to giva a flip about the heat coming off the radiator and peripherals. Or is the battery 1 mm to the right because computer modeling suggest it stays cooler there? I look at it and think; okay, there's a little room here, so they wedged it in. Just as some may assume VW put the battery under the seat to keep it cooler.

Makes me realize I don't know much about batteries. I mean, I've always stored my spare double A batteries for my remote in the fridge. That's good, right?

And I don't know much about air temperatures downstream of a car radiator. If my engine temp is 210 degrees, and it's a 110 degree day, what is the temp of the air coming off the back of the radiator? Now add the AC Evaporator adding its heat to the mix. How much heat to factor for that?

I Googled Electrolyte Evaporation. Environmental heat is way down the list of causes of EO. Overcharging is suggested as a perhaps the biggest threat. Lack of humidity another. Heat is down there around number 10 on the list. Maybe lower.

From my Googling, suggested optimum temperatures for storage batteries is 70 degrees Fahrenheit. 110 degrees F is considered a really hot allowable temp. The interior of my van on a 100 degree day probably approaches 140 degrees, clearly too hot.

Under the van, the temp would be much closer to ambient, at least until I started the motor. But with the heat of the motor we would also have movement of air as I drove off. Which would mean leakage of air (heat, or lack of heat) in and out of the cavity behind the radiator, skewing the numbers.

Which leads to another question; Is it better to store the battery in a location that is generally cooler, but occasionally hotter, like under the van? Or better to be where it is generally warmer while parked, but occasionally cooler, like inside the van? I mean, my van gets driven the occasional 10 hour drive, but usually shorter runs. But it gets parked in the hot SoCal sun daily. All Day. Every Day. Times the next ten years.

Then we're back to, how much heat really comes off that radiator in the first place? How much does it increase ambient air temperatures 14" back from the radiator? What are the real numbers? How hot is hot?

It feels hot! Consider this according to the Fire Department;

More severe burns occur at higher temperatures. An applied heat of 131 degrees Fahrenheit causes second-degree burns on exposed skin. Pain receptors overload and become numb at a temperature of 140 F. At 162 F, human tissue is destroyed on contact. The entire range of burn temperatures, from the first appearance of pain to instant destruction, falls well below 212 F, the boiling point of water.

What's it all mean? Heat felt might not be that hot? Who knows? I would love to see some real data. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the tools to accurately measure the data needed.

Looks like I will have to rely on the tried and true back yard mechanics trial and error. Checking the battery levels frequently until a baseline can be established in regards to Electrolyte Evaporation. Under the back seat, in 3 plus years, I've had to top off the cells once. For a net loss of less than 1/2" of water per cell.

Perhaps in the name of science I should run it a year without a heat shield, evaluating evaporation tendencies, then add a shield and see if it changes anything. I'm afraid after all that effort my results would be considered anecdotal and declared useless. Wink

Think

Whatever the data supports, it is already clear a heat shield couldn't hurt.

'74 Jeep CJ5
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
Good job moving the batteries under the van. The rear seat storage is more valuable than a place to store batteries.

Here is my fuel tank holder and removable 3 gallon fuel tank for my diesel Espar D2 furnace. The fuel tank holder is installed between the frame members beside the sliding door.

So much storage space under the Van!

This struck me as very interesting. You utilize the space to hold 3 gal of diesel to run your D2. I have a parallel implementation to similar end. I installed a second 3 gallon propane tank in that space to extend the fuel supply for my Carver propane furnace. This tank is in addition to the one on the driver side giving a total of 6 gallons.

With respect to Tim's underbody storage space utilization, we are all doing our best to utilize them, but in different ways. The commonality is energy storage: electrical charge, diesel, and propane.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Storage options abound under my Van... Reply with quote

All interesting points about environments batteries exist in!
Very thought provoking, Many / Most of tge newer engine compartment batteries I've seen are encased in a thermal box or thermal wrapper.
They are aware of heat problems.

I see more and more batteries following the path of the Beetle and moving out of the engine area.
Into trunks, under seats, etc,

There is serious talk about batteries becoming bigger to handle the increased electric demands of the modern automobile. I've heard 24v bounced around.

Do keep us posted.

Water boils at 212*F, thermostats open at what 180* +/- so that cooling air has passed through a 18O* or hotter radiator absorbing a good deal of the heat.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: