Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

My front heater blower motor stopped working. I can get the motor rewound or find the parts to replace the squirrel fan, but I do not want to remove the entire heater assembly. Is it possible to open the heater assembly without removing the heater hoses?

I have had the entire assembly out a few years ago and have the clips on, it is not glued. My thought is that once I remove all the bolts I can move the entire casing out and open it up, but I can't recall if thats possible.

Anybody know off hand?
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

The heater is high in the car so you will lose very little coolant as you remove the hoses, driving the front wheels up onto a curb or something will help a bit more. Loosen the cap before you remove the first hose to equalize the pressure.

If you haven't smoked the motor totally you could try the Mullendore Port trick first.
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

That sounds like a lot of unnecessary complications to avoid disconnecting two hoses. Why don't you want to disconnect the heater core? It sounds like it would be possible but I've never tried, doing the job with the heater box on my workbench is easy enough I've never thought of trying anything different.
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

I would be very surprised if you can get the blower motor out without removing the dash and the entire box. Having had this all apart last year I don't think it is possible based on its orientation in the box and the dash. Also, I would try a replacement blower motor switch first before removing anything, but you could jump the switch to be sure it's the motor that's dead.

Good luck.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

Help me help you.

I don't think , I know that you had the dashboard out to open up that heater box, 2 years, 4 years, 10 years ago.
The time doesn't make any difference--you have to remove the dash.

Hey, I got a great idea-- why not clamp off them heater hoses so you don't lose any ethylene glycol?

Might save you some time.
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

Thanks to all the replies.

- yes the blower motor is broken, not the switch.
- I know I have to remove the dash.
- I don't have a proper workbench or even an area where I can put the wheels up right now, I'd like to do this in-situ.
Mexico 2022-2023
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Help me help you.

I don't think , I know that you had the dashboard out to open up that heater box, 2 years, 4 years, 10 years ago.
The time doesn't make any difference--you have to remove the dash.

Hey, I got a great idea-- why not clamp off them heater hoses so you don't lose any ethylene glycol?

Might save you some time.

I'll still lose the coolant in the heater core. Would rather not. I know I have to remove the dash, I just don't want to disconnect the coolant lines.
Mexico 2022-2023
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

I'm sure that you can pull the cover off of the heater box without removing the last 4 bolts that anchor the whole box.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

FWIW (and at the risk of incurring the wrath of Terry):

If the motor is stuck from sitting (i.e., the armature shaft has become bound to the Oilite bushing) and you don't feel like pulling the dash, you could try a solution that has worked twice for me (well, it worked perfectly the first time but there's some debris in the fan wheel of the 87 that needs to be removed):

Using a long drill bit or a wood bit on some extensions, drill a 1/2" hole in the heater box and fan motor housing, then use a long screwdriver to rotate the fan a bit until it frees. You'll be going through the ashtray opening and will have to drill through both layers of plastic to get to the fan. The wood-boring bits are cool because you can prevent most of the material from entering the housing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just a thought.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:

I'll still lose the coolant in the heater core. Would rather not. I know I have to remove the dash, I just don't want to disconnect the coolant lines.

Come on you all, it's possible to leave the hoses hooked as he did remove that glue.

And if not, losing the heater coolant is no big deal.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
gbrandt wrote:

Come on you all, it's possible to leave the hoses hooked as he did remove that glue.

And if not, losing the heater coolant is no big deal.

Ben

Thanks! Its what I will try anyway. I'm in the parking lot of an AirBNB, I just don't have the facilities for a coolant cleanup and am looking to not have to try.
Mexico 2022-2023
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

+2 on removing the motor without disconnecting the hoses or losing any coolant. There is no reason to disconnect the core, you just move it aside, once you have dash out and clear access to the box.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tates1882
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
My front heater blower motor stopped working. I can get the motor rewound or find the parts to replace the squirrel fan, but I do not want to remove the entire heater assembly. Is it possible to open the heater assembly without removing the heater hoses?

I have had the entire assembly out a few years ago and have the clips on, it is not glued. My thought is that once I remove all the bolts I can move the entire casing out and open it up, but I can't recall if thats possible.

Anybody know off hand?

You sure can. It's a pita no matter what but I just swapped mine with out disconnecting the core. The worst part was getting it braced solid enough to use a knife and hammer to split the housing apart.
Just be careful with the clips that hold the flap control cables, I lost a little patience and broke where the clip slips into the housing.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I was able to use the Mullendore port to return an inop fan back into full service. I drilled the hole and then sprayed TriFlow at the bushing. Then I turned the fan switch on, and and with a flashlight and length of rod, was able to manually spin the fan blades to "kickstart" the motor back into service. I then sprayed more TriFlow at the bushing when the fan was running. Worked like a charm, and is still operating like normal today.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Type17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
I just don't have the facilities for a coolant cleanup and am looking to not have to try.

I know it's wasteful, and I hate waste, but do you have access to a roll of paper towels and a garbage can?

gbrandt wrote:

- I don't have a proper workbench or even an area where I can put the wheels up right now, I'd like to do this in-situ.

Open the hatch and work on the engine lid.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, only trying to help find alternate solutions. I've never had a reason to take the heater box apart without removing the core as every time I've done it I replaced the core and all of the rotten old foam.

If this works, I'll definitely remember it as it may come in handy next time my heater blower motor goes out in the middle of a trip.

Paulbeard wrote:
The ignore function is a useful thing when someone adds no value.

I had all but given up on this forum until I found this exact feature for this exact reason.
RicoS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

Just pinch off the heater hoses and pull the heater box - it's no big deal.

How many of these half-assed work-arounds can these forums endure? You might be able to free up a blower motor temporarily with some kinda laparoscopic nonsense, but by the time the blower motor has seized, its bearings are also wallowed to the point of uselessness.

When you split the heater housing, you can also clean out all that rat shit and piss-soaked stuffing that's in there, replace the damper seals and attend to the ballast resistor.

Over the decades, I've been amazed to see the asinine extent to which some guys will go to avoid doing the job the right way and being done with it. I remember once on the old Vanagon.com mailing list, Fast Frankie Condelli suggested misting motor oil into the heater box through the fresh air intake while the blower was set on high with the hope that the oil would somehow find its way to the bushing bearings in the blower motor.

Can you imagine that scene? "OK, honey, now turn on the blower full blast while I spray this used 20W50." When I read Condelli's stupid idea, I thought that he must have been working from a Larry David script.

Like I said, remove the dash and pull the heater box. There's plenty of room to do the work and the pieces come off in big chunks. In the end, it's the easiest, most predictable way to do it and you won't have to dread turning on the blower anymore.

Richie

Last edited by RicoS on Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

Heater blower stopped working?

Possible causes......

Blown fuse
Bad switch
Wire fell off of switch
Ground wire fell off of ground tree
Bad ground connection on ground tree
Resistor burned up
Wires from switch to fan ocpverheated and burned up
Blower motor is bad

If I recall, doesn't the blower power pass through a relay?

Anyway, check the easy problems before yanking the heater assembly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

The OP indicated that they're on the road or otherwise removed from an ideal service base. Under those conditions, my "suboptimal" hole in the wall approach is perfectly rational, and more effective than carrying on with no fan at all. When I did my mod, the van was a daily driver and I could ill afford to take the van down for several days while I fiddled about with all the tasks associated with dash removal--I've done it before, and know what all is involved to do those tasks adequately.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

Cool! I looked in today, to search for this topic 'cause I need to do this before winter gets here (snowed on the mountains already).

Yay! a fresh topic! No need to use the search!

Last time I pulled my dash I just moved everything (including the driver's seat) to the back as it was rainy season and I had no garage. You can clamp the hoses and not loose much coolant.

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sciroccojim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Can I replace front blower motor without removing assembly? Reply with quote

(@mods: thanks for cleaning up the mess)

I can tell you that the coolant/hoses is really a nonissue, since I removed the heater box on mine about an hour ago. If the van is cool, only the slightest trickle comes out. In order to avoid any dribbles after the fact, I tilted the hoses down towards the floor and this is what I got:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The only other concern is keeping the box tilted so that the heater core fittings are pointed more up than down. Otherwise, you'll definitely spill some on the floor.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: