Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

You could just have some strong oxidization between the two components- like a seatpost stuck in a bike frame. Try soaking the points of contact with PB blaster, Kroil, or other high-quality penetrant and letting it sit overnight. Then, go to town on it. If can find a good fulcrum, could try a lever and/or whacking it with a deadblow hammer.

It will come off.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

Here's what is in OP's previous topic:
misterfeathers wrote:
My van is blowing white smoke (coolant) on start-up until it warms up. I pressured tested the coolant and its leaking out of both head gaskets. The compression test came back 110,120,110, 145 and the leak down 36%, 30%, 8%, 12%.

In that case, I guess removing and examining the heads is the way to go indeed. And in this case, removing the engine makes sense.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

Gentle prying between AC and mount will move it. No blows or impacts, just pressure
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

Abscate is probably right. I was going from 0 to 99 with my suggestion. There's a lot of numbers in between those. I guess I was assuming you'd already tried steps like gentle prying.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

While you apply gentle outward pressure, rock the compressor up and down like you are adjusting the belt........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

misterfeathers wrote:

Can't seem to make it past one job before I get stuck again...doh!

Don't worry. That happens a lot until you buy experience through more tools to handle the unexpected!

Just take one thing at a time and suddenly there won't be anymore things.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

Forgot to add to hit those points with some good penetrant oil ( not WD40) a day before, too.
misterfeathers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

You y'all are the best!! Thanks for the encouragement. Back at it today to see if we can make any progress!!
misterfeathers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

A/C is off ...penetrating oil and breaker bar did the trick.

Things are moving well but am stuck on how to remove the shields covering the rod tubes on the bottom side of the engine to access the coolant head drain plugs. The bolt I am having difficultly with is the one connected to the exhaust header pipe. It appears to be rusted and seized. I have tried penetrating oil and heat but to no avail. I'm worried about rounding off the head of the bolt with the level of force I am having to apply to the bolt. Any tips, tricks, suggestions!

Thanks In Advance!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

misterfeathers wrote:
A/C is off ...penetrating oil and breaker bar did the trick.

Things are moving well but am stuck on how to remove the shields covering the rod tubes on the bottom side of the engine to access the coolant head drain plugs. The bolt I am having difficultly with is the one connected to the exhaust header pipe. It appears to be rusted and seized. I have tried penetrating oil and heat but to no avail. I'm worried about rounding off the head of the bolt with the level of force I am having to apply to the bolt. Any tips, tricks, suggestions!

Thanks In Advance!

Don't know what your mean by heat, but getting it red hot with an Oxy-Act torch should do the trick. A nice red spot on one side of the nut, a couple of quick cranks of the ratchet, then make a new hot spot again if need be.
misterfeathers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

I heated it with a small butane torch. Will that temp be high enough to do the trick? I didn't leave on long enough to form a cherry spot. I had read that too much heat will weaken the stud. Is that true?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Engine Removal --n00b questions Reply with quote

With enough heat from an Oxy-Act rig you can get a cherry red spot on the nut without getting that much heat into the stud. This really probably can not be done with a butane torch as the heat flow just isn't high enough.

When you do get the nut off use copper plated nuts when you go back together. If you could find brass nuts they would work fine as well. There are definite alloy exhaust nuts for newer rigs that would do great here too, but I can't suggest a source off hand, maybe Mercedes or BMW?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: