Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'73 Super Salvage Project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Small progress today. Tim, you're like the dog whisperer. I decided it would be silly not to clean up the dash box after all. I cleared out the crap inside it, confirmed the drain is nice and clear, and treated all the surface rust w/etch and prep. I'll clean that off tomorrow and see how it looks, maybe primer it.

Also, removed the crappy aftermarket rear bumper and salvaged what look to be good original bumper brackets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Have to get a circlip strong enough to hold the right side trunk hood hinge in place, and vacuum that crap and treat that surface rust w/rust converter before it goes any further -

Can anybody tell me what this green is? I plan on keeping the car this color and think it's that viper green that they had w/the '75 La Grande edition Supers. I'd like to order the same green from Paint Scratch, or have the local Sherman Williams mix a quart for me.

Parts are beginning to arrive - seat restoration goodies and spring plate bushings from Wolfsburgh West.

And these puppies are boxed and on their way here.

If all goes according to plan, these will be welded on w/in the next two weeks.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Those crescent sections look very nice.

The circlips on my hood hinges are not circlips. They look like the press-slip-on clips, like the ones you have on your thermostat linkage. I think they did this to make installing and removal a bit easier. They might even be the same clip.

Sorry to “whisper” twice about restoring the bottom of your air box, but I know you get a lot of rain back there, and once those air box bottoms go, the trunk gets deluged.

Take a picture of the engine, by the way.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I forgot to add that when I had two panels repainted on my Bug, I took the fuel door to the automotive paint store, and they matched the color perfectly.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I'm a bit late to the party, but wow!, what a nice start of a project for $350! Those repair panels look nice and solid. It's a shame to lose the crescents, but they're more trouble than they're worth. The P.O. of my son's '73 removed them. My '74 has them. It doesn't look bad at all to have them gone.

Incidentally, I once paid WAY more for a '73 that was nowhere near as clean as yours. I ended up scrapping the car once I removed all of the usable parts. In the end, i probably got close to my money's worth from the parts...still.. $350.

H2OSB
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Very Happy 350....that was the cost of shipping it from NC!!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Oh, lol Embarassed
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Alas, it's worse than I thought. The rot reaches the lower edge of the fender mount strip, and two of the fender bolts snapped off in the captive threads. I've never had that happen before. Sad

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Looks like—after measuring well—you’ll have to fab up a piece with captive nuts and weld it in. You might even check a junkyard for that section, but I’ve seen threads on here where guys do it from scratch.

I hope your welder friend knows his stuff Rolling Eyes .

How’s the other side? Did you luck out?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

I did luck out on the inside. Lots of ugly surface rust but no flaking and rust-through.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
...and two of the fender bolts snapped off in the captive threads. I've never had that happen before. Sad

What have you never owned a bug before? lmao You have had a charmed life, I snap those things like some people crack knuckles. Very Happy I've just left them so far but am going to have to deal with them too. Wait til that square captive thread thing twists right out of the sheet metal like pulling a rubber plug from a hole. Then you'll be having fun!

I absolutely crush on that metallic green paint. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Gets worse the further in I go. Captive nuts sheared off, found rust through on the inner panel.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thinking of buying this to start learning to weld...
https://m.harborfreight.com/Flux-125-Welder-63582....20provided

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

I've borrowed this book from my Dad. He took a Tech-college welding class a few years back. This book seems to be a good reference for the novice welder.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/welding-technology-fundamentals-bowditch/1100478226
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

Don't, it is awful and you won't be able to weld thin steel. Get a cheap mig on Craigslist and a tank of gas. I had a HF flux core and I am slowly redoing all of those welds.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Victor, does that welder do well with the sheet metal you’re going to be welding—without burning through? Or is it better for thicker stuff?

Just wondering since I’m interested in getting one for my Birthday, or Christmas.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

The VW metal is pretty good, like what, 16-18 gauge? From what I've read, this one can handle it fine. I would need to practice quite a few times w/junk pieces before going anywhere near the car. But, people who weld on a regular basis, like 67ctbug (I'm guessing) and Dan (my friend who's offered to help) - prefer the MIG w/the gas rather than the flux wire. For $89-25% coupon plus the cost of a decent welding helmet at another 20% off...it's worth buying. I bought it dirt cheap with the promos. I'm not opening it however until *after* Dan has a go at it w/his welder and I learn something about it. I can always return it unopened.

AHVW, thanks for the link. The book looks good, but not in the budget at this time. Youtube and weld.com for now.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Found this to replace the section w/the 2 ruined captive nuts...Anyone have experience w/these panels? Worth the money...?

http://www.klokkerholmusa.com/52-79-rear-wheelhouse-fastner-strip-passengers-side/

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
The VW metal is pretty good, like what, 16-18 gauge?
More like 20-22 so you’ll blow through super easy.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

vamram wrote:

That welder and other cheap ones like it are good for thick metal, not great for body panels.
I used one to do the floor pan section on my bug and although it worked, it is not something I would use on outer body panels. It burns through thin metal like nothing and ends up creating more problems than it's worth.
If I were you I would save your money and try to find a good used welder that uses 240volts and gives you much more control. You get what you pay for.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: '73 Super Salvage Project Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback. It's still sealed in the box so I may take your advice and bring it back. I don't have 240 volts in the house except in kitchen and the basement. Neither one readily accessible for connecting welding a 240v gas MIG welder. I suppose I could get an extra long 240 v extension chord, move and disconnect the range, and plug it in there. [EDIT] Wife may object.

I did buy a couple of pieces of 18 gauge and a 22 gauge piece at HD today. The 18 looks much closer to the panel I cut out than the 22. But I don't have a metal gauge to validate that.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 51

Jump to: