Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Make them modern...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
A_BugLife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Make them modern... Reply with quote

I have been following ICON motors and Singer Design and a few other custom car builders. ICON especially, is a good example of what I was wondering. They take older cars and trucks and keep the vintage style and intention of the car alive while at the same time giving it new life with new technology. They add a new modern drive train, modern suspension, air conditioning etc. but they go to great lengths to keep it looking like it was original. For example they will machine new nobs for the AC on the dash so it matches the old original knobs.

So here is my question to anyone who has an opinion. If you could make your VW look the way you want, cal-look, stock, pan scraper... what ever. What would you do to bring the car into the modern age? Money aside.

Bolra EFI, Coil overs instead of torsion bars, hydraulic lifters, Subaru swap or maybe make it all electric?

What is your perfect modern vintage VW?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

I have my bug specifically for it's old tech. I love the sound of the stock engine, the feel of the brakes, etc. When I want to bomb down the freeway at 85 in air-conditioned silence, I have new cars for that.
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

I did exactly what you described to my Bug. Brought it all up to date but it still looks like a Bug, for the most part. Looks aside, you would never know you are still driving a Bug. I like it!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

you wanted opinions.

I LOVE my VW for it's simplicity and bare bones design. I would not modernize anything about it. I love a manual transmission and shifting gears. I love the roll down windows and the wind blowing through my hair. If I want modern I will drive my new F250 and leave the VW in the garage.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Sorry, I have (2) 2018 Subarus so i already have modern.

The Beetle is old school, carbs, points, solid lifters... and i like it like that.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

A_BugLife wrote:
What would you do to bring the car into the modern age?

Nothing whatsoever. It is cheap, economical to operate, easy to fix, fun to drive. Still what it was when it was "modern" 56 years ago.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

A_BugLife wrote:
I have been following ICON motors and Singer Design and a few other custom car builders. ICON especially, is a good example of what I was wondering. They take older cars and trucks and keep the vintage style and intention of the car alive while at the same time giving it new life with new technology. They add a new modern drive train, modern suspension, air conditioning etc. but they go to great lengths to keep it looking like it was original. For example they will machine new nobs for the AC on the dash so it matches the old original knobs.

So here is my question to anyone who has an opinion. If you could make your VW look the way you want, cal-look, stock, pan scraper... what ever. What would you do to bring the car into the modern age? Money aside.

Bolra EFI, Coil overs instead of torsion bars, hydraulic lifters, Subaru swap or maybe make it all electric?

What is your perfect modern vintage VW?

I have done several Subaru conversion in bay window buses. the folks I do them for enjoy NOT dealing with the shortcomings of a 40-50 year old car.

I have even added a/c to a conversion for a client in texas. it makes the buses more drivable in my opinion. some would rather not sweat in traffic....others don't mind. all up to the end user I suppose.

personally, I will take FI over carbs any day. seems I am always tweeking something on my 1904 powered bus...my Subaru bus....get in and go. but to be fair, my expectations are high on that 1904...so dicking with it is to keep it tip top.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
A_BugLife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Okay, let me clarify my question here. The opinions I am looking for are from anyone who would want to update a classic to have a more modern car.

I get the whole idea about having a real simple affordable car, I have that. Mine is carbureted, running points and I have adjust the valves every 3,000 miles. I get it, and I like it, but it's not my daily driver and it isn't reliable enough compared to modern drive trains that don't need points replaced, valves adjusted, and leaks oil even on a good day.

What I am wondering is what would you do, be it small or radical, that would update your classic to be more modern. It doesn't mean an upgrade to some space ship that only an MIT grad can fix.

If you wouldn't update your car that fine, I get it. I am looking for opinions of folks who would.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

A_BugLife wrote:
Okay, let me clarify my question here. The opinions I am looking for are from anyone who would want to update a classic to have a more modern car..

I don't think you'll get much love here.....lot's of dyed in the wool folks here.

I love the samba. met some fantastic folks over the years here. this site (in my opinion) is geared towards the restoration crowd. there are very few think outside of the box TRUE "hot rodders" here.

everyone (well, most everyone) is here for the "simplicity" of the marque.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

More modern...………………………….

Electronic ignition.
Front disc brakes.
Larger diameter master cylinder.
Better tires, wider.
Better radio, solid state, with blue tooth.

Beyond that, I love the feel of the old school ride, sound. I love having to physically drive these cars and then be able to adjust what is needed!

I think the single best upgrade is the front disc brakes, so that I can stop the 2127's power going down the road!

The bigger engine is the best modification to date!!!! Vroom. VROOOMMMM!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

I have a GPS speedo in mine with a digital odometer, fancy right?! I have a CB Performance magnaspark 2 electronic distributor with a modern style coil pack instead of the usual VW coil. Electric fuel pump. A retrosound style radio. LED headlights. Oh and a USB port for charging my phone, or iPad for the kids on long trips. That’s about the extent of my “modern” conveniences. If I need something more than that I’ll take the wife’s Passat.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I have my bug specifically for it's old tech. I love the sound of the stock engine, the feel of the brakes, etc. When I want to bomb down the freeway at 85 in air-conditioned silence, I have new cars for that.

Couldn't agree more. I like old cars because they take you back in time. It's the old car experience. Old cars are simple and can usually be fixed on the side of the road. Once that computer/ electronic ignition stuff goes out you are SOL on the side of the hwy.

Want all that electronic stuff-buy a new car.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

To me it’s a time machine same as what I was driving in 1978. Listening to my under dash pioneer Supertuner w/ Jenson Triaxial speakers, not a care in the world. You’ll find me cruising the fast lane in and around Route 66. Updates??
I’d slide into the seat of a 911 and not look back. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
To me it’s a time machine same as what I was driving in 1978.

It IS what I was driving in 1978... same car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Upgrade the ignition system so I'm not replacing condensers every 3-4 months

front disc brakes

I love the stock seats in my 78. So much better then the stock seats in my 74.

intermitant wipers & electric washer system

better defrost system

a dash that doesn't crack(Supers)
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
I love the stock seats in my 78. So much better then the stock seats in my 74.

Recaros, I replaced my stock seats with them in 1980.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW had Recaro seats in the Sport Bug.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
A_BugLife wrote:
Okay, let me clarify my question here. The opinions I am looking for are from anyone who would want to update a classic to have a more modern car..

I don't think you'll get much love here.....lot's of dyed in the wool folks here.

I love the samba. met some fantastic folks over the years here. this site (in my opinion) is geared towards the restoration crowd. there are very few think outside of the box TRUE "hot rodders" here.

everyone (well, most everyone) is here for the "simplicity" of the marque.

If you really think this way than you need to visit the Vanagon forum. Lots of engine swaps, drive by wire, brake upgrades, electronic steering etc.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Mixing odd brands, and new engines into old cars, done right can be pretty sweet.
But with rare exceptions, it's not going to be a classic.
A classic is a classic forever.
Good possibility in 10-20 years it will look like a stupid idea.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

If you really think this way than you need to visit the Vanagon forum. Lots of engine swaps, drive by wire, brake upgrades, electronic steering etc.

Dave

yes, I do visit. here is the difference....the Vanagon crew uses their rides....and do trips for days/weeks/years on end so they do lots of upgrades. your average vw guy has a bug sitting in a garage they take out every so often.

now, is it that they are afraid of a car wreck, too loud, too slow, too unsafe, too uncomfortable? dunno...

modok wrote:
Mixing odd brands, and new engines into old cars, done right can be pretty sweet.
But with rare exceptions, it's not going to be a classic.
A classic is a classic forever.
Good possibility in 10-20 years it will look like a stupid idea.

to your point some of this stuff gets "dated" like how "The Mulholland Look" vw's are "so 80's" so guys may want to update the "look" to something more current.

like tweed interiors look 90's to me....same with the "bumpers by briz" so again, nothing wrong with kicking the 80's out of something to bring it up to snuff.

what kills me is the "computer will leave you on the side of the road" comments....possible? sure. but growing up in the 80's it seems to me that there is a lot less broken down shit on the side of the road...to the point of being almost non existent these days

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Make them modern... Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Upgrade the ignition system so I'm not replacing condensers every 3-4 months

Something is killing your condensers. Blaming the technology might not be the answer.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: