Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Clutch dragging cant go into 1st (Morro Bay-broken disc springs) Reply with quote

We are touring around while dropping off our daughter at Cal Poly SLO. Took a drive on Pismo beach and barely made it off (at the south entrance Pier Ave).

Clutch doesn’t release. So I had to put it in gear and get going with the starter motor, then shift with “emergency methods.

UPDATE: We made it back to our campsite reserved at Morro Strand Park (31 Miles from Pismo).

Just wanted to get a flag hoisted. Not sure what to do yet but the trans/clutch may need to come out.

I have a Smallcar bellhousing and new clutch. Clutch uses the concentric GTi throwout/slave. I bled it, no bubbles. Pedal feels “normal”.

We have several things to do in SLO involved with dropping my girl at college, then we need to drive back to Seattle, so this is kind of a big concern. We may have to rent a car. Would be really great if there are any nearby members with a driveway If I have to drop the trans.

Tom

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:55 am; edited 3 times in total
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Tom,
Really wish I lived closer to Morro Bay (wife wants to retire and move there). Live 200 miles north, in Facebook land, Menlo Park, CA. Hopefully someone more locally will chime in. Keep us posted.

Craig

Craig
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Too far to help. Hope you get help.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Altoona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Is it 281 or 271 Very Happy
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

If you're intent on doing your own work, my brother has a carport he could probably lend for a few days. Tall enough to pop the top in, even.

On the other hand you might give Westywerks a call. Super nice guys and impressive shop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

I'm in the dirt so not much help with pulling the trans. Is there anything else you need? If you want to park it while you drive back in the rental and deal with it later, it could join the herd...

Hans
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Great offers, thanks. And http://www.westy-werks.com in SanLuis Obispo too. If it comes to that.

I have an offer of driveway space, ramps, tools by a Morro bay fella who’s gonna stop by the campsite and put a 2nd set of eyes on my problem.

At 9AM! This is true SAMBA! Very thankful! And my girls are thankful too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

This is great news. Keep us posted.

Craig
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Too far to be of any assistance except to say, 'Good luck, Tom!'
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

I no longer have a manual Syncro, but can you get one of the girls to depress the clutch pedal and see the clutch/flywheel through a gap in the bellhousing, or by removing an access plug? Or failing to get a visual through the gap, could you pick up the $70 Harbor Freight LCD remote camera/borescope and see if there is movement? If no movement, then the slave or clutch master is suspect and those are waaaaaay easier to replace.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

No idea about Subi conversions, but if use the stock cluch shaft, did you weld it ?
Edit:
I mean the levers to the shaft.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Yes it behaves exactly like the broken clutch fork. But it has the Smallcar GTi concentric slave/throwout. Current plan is to loosen the engine bolts and lever the trans forward and look into the gap. I’m disconnecting driveline and under-bars and (cough-cough) transaxle cooling monkey business...(cough) hope not to make an oil slick at the campsite.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pic of #vanlife girls doing old-school Van yoga.
Note: they have the app so they threw dad under the bus & Uber’d outta here

Leveling the van for a special type of driveway campsite

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Westy Lesson #1259

Want happy kids? Break down more often!

Hence, Westy defines perfection once again!

Thanks for the update Bud, hope you're having as much as they are.

(suspect "not even close")

Wink Cool Wink

Hang in There! Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Sodo,
you will have to pull the transaxle back at least 2.5-3" to see behind.. and even that will be limited. Consider drilling a hole or two and using a scope to investigate. Or, if your spot is chill enough, just commit to dropping the transaxle and taking care of business. It's not that much more work.

Jason
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Hole.....
what about removing the starter and look inside with a scope?

See something? Drop the trans.
Can’t see anything? Then gotta drop the trans.
Doesn’t look like there’s any way around dropping the trans.

EXCEPT. If it’s air in the line and can be bled. But how do you get air in the line? Underbars are off, driveline off..... but I’ve half a mind to try bleeding again.

Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

I see that your family is acquainted with the correct way to hold and operate basic garage tools - well done, Dad!!! Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Sodo, we've also driven out to that Beach, and through deep sand when a line of trailers blocked the wet hardpack "route" about 3.5 miles in right as the tide came in.

Perhaps a long shot, but is there any way that sand got in somewhere and jammed anything?

I've never had this apart and so may be way off, but just a thought. Not a great mechanic on the big stuff here, but do wonder if the sand route could be connected...

Good Luck! Cool

— Colin Chapman
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
I see that your family is acquainted with the correct way to hold and operate basic garage tools - well done, Dad!!! Laughing

The girls operated their Uber app, went to town & came back with the best and most reliable tool they could find (a rental Toyota)

Sand in the clutch would do exactly the problem I’m having (clutch dragging HARD). And the open Smallcar flywheel was my first thought (and Syncroshop and ejimmi) but we drove 15mph on packed wetted sand, there was no sand anywhere on anything. If sand were flying around it would be piled ontop of the skid bars. Not a grain.

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Good luck man. Ive been on many a road trip where the engine was pulled to fix this r that. At least your peeps smiled for the picture. Thats a good sign. You didnt think they were gonna rent a VW did ya?

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch problem at Morro Bay -anyone help? Reply with quote

Dang it Sodo, you were s'posed to lie and say I nailed it.

Hope you don't mind a little humah, better coping mechanism than beer and no bad after effects.

Thanks for keeping us all updated, you'll get there.

(Please start the Toyota afire when fixed to get even with the Cosmos)

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: