Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 Birchgreen notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Got the front beam out and look at that steering box.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The grime was due to this

Filled with oil

Cover is different from a late model, and although seriously pitted it will get blasted and a coat of high temp Aluminum engine enamel (I use this paint because after it is baked, it offers great chemical resistance) and comes in a spray can. Way easier than mixing up some paint for such a small cover.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

That there square-headed pipe plug just tells the whole story, don't it?

What’s That Noise?!?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

You mean that’s not original? 😂😂😂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

I was looking for a can of carb cleaner when I saw the paint stripper and decided to give it a go. Doesn’t appear to harm the original finish. But I am not leaving it on for long, and using a plastic putty knife.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Nice job. I'm doing a similar thing with my birch green squareback. I'm mostly using razor blades with a little bit of lacquer thinner in a rag lodged on top for a bit to soften first. I've got a few spray bombs of birch green for touch up areas. Bought ten of them a few years ago. Are you planning any touch ups as well?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Clatter wrote:

Yep, if its like the old Bug boxes.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Nice job. I'm doing a similar thing with my birch green squareback. I'm mostly using razor blades with a little bit of lacquer thinner in a rag lodged on top for a bit to soften first. I've got a few spray bombs of birch green for touch up areas. Bought ten of them a few years ago. Are you planning any touch ups as well?

Yes there will be some touch ups. Unfortunately, whom ever resprayed the fenders got a little aggressive with the scuffing. I have a friend who is a paint tech for Sikkens, so he will colour match and spray them.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Jason37 wrote:
Clatter wrote:

Yep, if its like the old Bug boxes.

Hmmm, it is an October of 62 build, so maybe they just repurposed parts to begin with?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

So here are the photos of the 63 box, it differs a little from the later boxes in that the interior dimensions are slightly reduced by not having as much material machined away.

On a later box the little gully is completely done away with.

But here is a pic of the restored box, changed out the seals and checked end play before filling with corn head grease.

Then it was on to the beam. Originally it had one mismatched upper control arm and after receiving the first replacement I feared the beam was damaged as this one was loose too. After some measurements, I found it to be out of spec and luckily the other sides was in spec, so it was yes to determine the state of the beam. All checked out, so the search was on for another control arm. Received the new one about a week ago and it fit nice and snug with no play, huge relief. Quickly finished blasting all the suspension parts at dropped them off for powder.

The beam, was a combo of scrapping, wire wheels, flap wheels and sanding.

Then a nice coat of POR15 in satin black, followed by a top coat to protect it from UV. (For when the sun hits the beam, while barrel rolling over 13 school buses)

Nice to see beam is most likely original to the car and is the spawn of the devil! 🤘🤘🤘
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Also finished up the paint removal on the drivers side and hit the OG paint on the door with some cleaner wax (didn’t want to get into a cut yet, so close after the paint stripper) and spent about ten minutes polishing it out.

So with some paint left over, after the second coat and caught the spots I missed the first time round, what better thing to do then lie on your back and wire brush your floor pans...

Before

No during, cause no one wants to see the mess it made...went through two heavy duty dust masks.

After - only first coat

Now I had promised myself to only work on one thing or end of the car at a time, but with the front boys not looking like they will be ready until the new year, my question is this, do I take some time away, or say 🤬🤬🤬🤬 it and pull the motor? Still have one day left (tomorrow)of vacation without the family so should I wrap gifts or pull the motor???
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Quote:
what better thing to do then lie on your back and wire brush your floor pans...

I bought the 6 ton jack stands for that job, they go to 24" high

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:

After - only first coat

Now I had promised myself to only work on one thing or end of the car at a time, but with the front boys not looking like they will be ready until the new year, my question is this, do I take some time away, or say 🤬🤬🤬🤬 it and pull the motor? Still have one day left (tomorrow)of vacation without the family so should I wrap gifts or pull the motor???

I'd probably see about removing the surface rust along the bottom of the rockers since you've got it up in the air (visible in the upper right corner of the pic).
Or, just take the day off and wrap presents, and have a couple of cold ones. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Quote:
what better thing to do then lie on your back and wire brush your floor pans...

I bought the 6 ton jack stands for that job, they go to 24" high

That must have been fun getting the car up that high, probably took three or four operations.
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Whelp, motor is out.

Another motor took its place....and looks like it would easily fit without modifying the engine bay.

A little bit of cleaning on the old motor

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:
Whelp, motor is out.

Another motor took its place....and looks like it would easily fit without modifying the engine bay.

A little bit of cleaning on the old motor

That "other" motor looks right at home in there. Wink Although I know there's a bunch more work required to make it work (like a 200mm conversion flywheel to start).

Looks like the old engine was collecting walnuts for later. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

That "other" motor looks right at home in there. Wink Although I know there's a bunch more work required to make it work (like a 200mm conversion flywheel to start).

Looks like the old engine was collecting walnuts for later. Laughing[/quote]

I had a conversion flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc when I was considering doing a manual swap on my 69. I sold off the flywheel 🤦‍♂️ And give the pressure plate and clutch disc to a buddy to further his build. To be honest, the only reason this motor ended up in the car is I needed the stand to put the 1500 on to do the pushrod tubes...but a little part of me wants to grab a barrel and a head to see how the carbs fit. Who knows, maybe it’ll get converted down the road.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Jason37 wrote:

Looks like the old engine was collecting walnuts for later. Laughing

I had a conversion flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc when I was considering doing a manual swap on my 69. I sold off the flywheel 🤦‍♂️ And give the pressure plate and clutch disc to a buddy to further his build. To be honest, the only reason this motor ended up in the car is I needed the stand to put the 1500 on to do the pushrod tubes...but a little part of me wants to grab a barrel and a head to see how the carbs fit. Who knows, maybe it’ll get converted down the road.[/quote]

Might be worth giving it a try, then you can cross it off if the carbs won't clear the smaller engine bay tin. Most of all the t-4 conversions are 65 and later, and have the larger engine bay. As it is, it looks like you might need to do some cooling tin trimming, as it looks pretty tight.
For Rob's (my son) conversion, I had already fitted the engine into a 69 Square and trimmed what I needed to to get it to fit. Once we did a "rear clip swap" on his car, everything fit exactly like it was supposed to.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Twisted Evil

What’s That Noise?!?
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Twisted Evil

I think this would bar my entry into the 1500 club...think I can get a six volt alternator? That way the swap between the two would be seamless...

And Bob, the tin would definitely need to be trimmed it is just touching along the outer edges. I think the carbs would clear easily, but only one way to tell.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 63 Birchgreen notch Reply with quote

Hot Rod your '69 & keep the '63 stock for your 1500 Club membership.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: