Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

European spec bumpers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Since getting my Doka from the Netherlands I've realized what a difference the euro-spec front bumper makes on the front of a "short nose" Eurovan. It makes it so much better, at least in my opinion. Very Happy Below is a picture of my Doka and a very nice US spec van I found in the gallery to show the difference. The US bumper sticks out a lot further than the Euro bumper.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This got me thinking....... Did Europe get a different bumper for the long nose? From the pictures online, it appears they are probably the same, but not sure. I have a '99 Westy also. If there is a cooler front bumper out there, I think I need it.... Smile Has anyone had the opportunity to see a Euro spec long nose or better yet, compare the two bumpers? If you have, what have you found?

Along that line, I'm also trying to get a European front bumper for my '93 US Spec van. If anyone else would like one, let me know. Maybe we can save on shipping by packaging them together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Rob,

The short nose Euro (really they're ROW) spec bumpers are indeed quite different from NA spec units. You can adjust the NA spec front carrier to the proper Euro length. REmove the cover and you will see the bumper has been skinned with a "top hat" piece of metal across the entire front width. Cut this piece off and now all you will need to source is the bumper skin itself.

In '96 short nose vans received a different nose. These fenders became bolt on instead of welded on. These bumpers were more rounded and less angular. They closely approximate the long nose bumpers in their form.

The long nose bumpers were available in either smooth skin or unpainted textured/dimpled finish. They are the same here in NA or Europe. Where the long nose differed was the grills which we black where here they were colour coded.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Rob. You even answered my question about the carrier that I was wondering but didn't ask. Very Happy Thank again, that was very helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Glad to have shed some light on this topic.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Here's the extra metal on the end of the bumper from both angles, from a parts van. The first time I pulled off an early bumper I noticed that the tow loop, that is visible out the front of the bumper, was bolted through the orignal tow loop that is welded to the bumper. That's my van by the way. I'd love the shorter bumper, but I just coated mine.

Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Thanks Josh, pictures always help! Nice van.

I am planning on getting a few euro covers around the first of the year. You will be ready to coat another one by then anyway, right? Smile
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

That will be very tempting!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

I have a couple extra European bumper covers now if anyone is interested in one. They are located in Oregon. They certainly make the front end look better. Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2252935
WagenWerks KS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

would you be willing to figure out shipping to 67206 ??

thanks!!

Matt
316-three nine three-2234
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Here's the after.

More detailed description on how its done here.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9034099#9034099
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Matt-
You have PM.

Josh-
Good to see the finished product! Love it!
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Nice work! I really like the look of that bumper. Now I know why the European fog lights I had purchased were too short to use the factory mounts and reach the front of my North American bumper.
kmjunge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Kind of a stretch but I don't suppose you have any Euro bumper skins left do you? A couple of owner's ago my van kissed a curb and the bumper cover is fubarred. I've been planning to replace it and I can't get this Euro look out of my head.

Any good sources for these if you don't have any available?

I always thought the long bumper was just a convenient place to set your beer while looking at the engine... Laughing
dazey77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Christ know what the postage costs would be like, but not hard to find in Europe of course.
https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t4-parts/bumpers-fitting-kits/front-bumpers-fittings.html
Still got the crappy US spec one on mine though. One day I would like to change it. .
kmjunge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

I found this one for about 50 Euros. Put it in my cart and calculated shipping...

*lone silent tear*

kmjunge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

What a bargain! ( https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/ ) This one is actually tempting. I could buy all 5 they have for the same overall cost on shipping.

rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Or... I have one left if you want to make a trip to Oregon. Very Happy
kmjunge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

PM sent. I've always wanted to visit Oregon.
A2coupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
Or... I have one left if you want to make a trip to Oregon. Very Happy

Im in Tacoma and could come down this week. Shoot me a PM.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: European spec bumpers Reply with quote

Is this also a year thing. Our 2002 has the body colored front bumper and it does not look like it sticks out as far.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: