Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Wrap Job
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

I just wrapped Oscar last November to delay a paint job and see how I like the design before I had to live with it forever. A year in the harsh SoCal sun and the vinyl looks brand new. Its UV rated for seven years.

I'm an artist for a living and of course I am bored with the current blue and white.

Just getting some feedback from fellow tastemakers? Keep the current or go with the camo?

I also may sell Oscar in a year or two. Not sure which would be more sellable?

Don't worry. It all peels off so the integrity of the old boy is still underneath.

Thanks for any feedback!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Anything custom you do to a vehicle inherently makes it harder to sell, since it whittles down the potential pool of buyers. Personally, I would opt for pink chrome wrap

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

No wrap at all will have the biggest market and be more sellable. For many buyers removing someone else’s wrap is one more thing to deduct from the offer price (- $500 to $1000). If you’re suggesting painting it camo then you’ll shrink your market by 95% making it less sellable.

I vote for camo! But go all the way and make it pink camo.

https://powersportswraps.com/pink-camo-wrapping-film-pink-camouflage-urban-camo-pink/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
. Personally, I would opt for pink chrome wrap

Wha? Great minds...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

He's matte white underneath the blue stripes.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

I'm an artist, too but anything so graphics-encompassing will not be your friend at sell time.

Not a fan of camo at all but that would be my pick here. The stripes strike me as a bit in "No man's land," meaning they're not level but not angled enough to appear as intended. A little wide, too, but know I'd never give such input unless asked as you've done.

Overall, advice would be doing what makes you happy while also keeping the van. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Maybe a winter camo?

oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Now that's pretty sweet and easy to do with my white base. Love the wrapped box up top. That's commitment to the motif!
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Winter camo definitely looks cool.

But it would also be a liability as anyone who runs into you could claim they didn't see you because of the camo you applied.

(someone else's picture)

oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Not too much of an issue for me here in Los Angeles area:) It would contrast strongly with the fires.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

RainierSyncro wrote:
Maybe a winter camo?

That is bad ass. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

That other picture was from a few years back. Here's the same van from last month. Probably the most well equipped 2wd out there. It's as close to a Syncro without being one. He's added aluminum panels to replace windows and a wire contraption up front to push bushes away. I always wonder how long it takes to come up with the right shapes, sizes and colors to get the perfect blend of camo.

Not sure if he's a member here or not.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

I don’t think Ronnie is a member but it’s also Subaru swapped and he’s a cool dude. I think he’s on fb and he’s all over the PNW vw scene.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
oscarowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Is it me or did his van go from a tin top to a pop-top?

Very cool rig and definitely what I am shooting for. Some may call it a poser, I call it perfect.

I also have a Defender 90 so my off-road needs are met and it is a tough call of which vehicle I love the most. The van or the D90. Depends upon the day:)
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

He added the top recently Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
K_Clack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

oscarowner wrote:
I just wrapped Oscar last November to delay a paint job and see how I like the design before I had to live with it forever. A year in the harsh SoCal sun and the vinyl looks brand new. Its UV rated for seven years.

I'm an artist for a living and of course I am bored with the current blue and white.

Just getting some feedback from fellow tastemakers? Keep the current or go with the camo?

I also may sell Oscar in a year or two. Not sure which would be more sellable?

Don't worry. It all peels off so the integrity of the old boy is still underneath.

Thanks for any feedback!

@Oscarowner, how has the wrap been holding up? I'm pretty sure I've seen Oscar strolling around the streets of West LA in the last year. Hard to miss this color scheme.

My wife and I just purchased our '90 Westy, "Maria," in November 2022. Soon after I ended up tearing out the interior to sandblast and treat the seam rust from the inside out. It turned out really well, but my paint job sucks. I would like to delay getting it professionally restored for another year and am considering wrapping it for the time being.

Do you have any suggestions for vinyl wrap suppliers and any advice from your experience applying it?

Cheers 🍻
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

I was just thinking about this matte wrap trend today, looking at my original 1990 paint job that appears “matte” (due to age, lack of maintenance and a single stage paint). Folks spend money wrapping their shiny paint to make it matte. I’d like the opposite. WTF? Love the one you’re with.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

K Clack, the OP hasn’t posted since 2018 just so you know.

I’ve also been in the Arts for 49 years including a lot of vehicles. None of that was in wraps, my understanding is application takes a lot of skill and best paying out for it.

A wrap is indeed valid and reasonably long-term — and especially if garaged — unless in the desert sun where I’d think it pretty a pretty short-term solution if not really challenging to remove.

If it was about a great wrap design, I’d maybe do it. If wanting to stay on the cheap and especially if the body was in bad shape, I’d personally roll-coat it in whatever matte color I liked.

— Colin Chapman
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Custom paint as mentioned decreases your buyer pool.

It isn't unlike selling a house with an in ground swimming pool.

Some buyers will be thrilled, others will turn the house down simply because it has a pool.

I've never seen anyone advertising to buy a used vehicle with a custom paint job.
Every time I see a Pink MaryKay car, I think of the nonexistent used car value it has.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Wrap Job Reply with quote

Oh no, knew pink was a mistake… Wink Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: