Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

I got pretty busy, but was finally able to get some time in the garage. I finished up the other Bumper bracket hole and did a test fitting.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still had to do some grinding and pinhole filling. Then, I had to clean up the Spare tire well directly behind the front Apron. It'll be Damn near impossible to get in there, once that Apron goes back on. Even if I get the body inverted.
Kinda nasty in there. Mostly surface rust and a little pitting on the bottom of the Spare tire well.

Put on a couple of coats of the POR. I like getting that shite all in the cracks and crevices.

Ready to pop on the Apron. Plug welded the top and sides. I actually took my time, like I'm supposed to do. It's weird how things turn out soo much better when you try to do things right.

Cracked open some nice Ice Cold Brews and appreciated my work!! After my third beverage, I remembered that I forgot the Spot Welds on the inner lip of the Spare tire well. Ahh crap. No biggie, now I've got something to look forward to for next time.
Alojahs.

MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

It's been a little over a month since the last update. Life's been kicking me in the teeth. A/C Compressor/Evaporator went out, Water Heater sprung a leak, Kitchen Faucet sprung a leak, then I ran over a wild Boar!!
Well, it seems to have calmed down a bit and I was able to get back to it on my last days off.

The bare metal held up well, not much surface rust. I started to prep the metal to accept the Body Filler, when I remembered that I still hadn't welded the Spare Tire well to the Apron, Hah! It took the whole day, but I was able to put in the welds, do the grinding and spread some filler and spray the Epoxy Primer. I'm a little better on time management. That's it... Little by little.

Thanks for checking in. Wink

BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

wow, onwards and upwards.
1971 Stock South African Beetle 1300 : My mom's european "Thin Chick" spec. Completely stock with torsion bar front, swingaxle rear, smooth hubs, single MC, 40 mm shoes, 31PICT3 carb and 5 bolt drums all round, currently Running a 1976 SF:AS engine with the original SF:AD engine overhauled in a box, waiting to go back in one day.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Awesomeness! Looks great and the front apron is locked into place!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

" There's always time to do it right the second time " (Wise Men)

" Rinse and Repeat " ( Head and Shoulders )

" Round Two...FIGHT! " (Mortal Combat)

Well, I was gonna slap everything back on for a final fit as this was the last time the front Bumper was going to be on the car until after paint. But, it didn't work out. I guess I shoulda measured more and paid a bit more attention. I ASSumed that the Bumper Brackets protruded straight out of the fender when I welded the fender cut outs. Not so. They have Toe and Camber.

Surprisingly, I wasn't terribly upset this time. Disappointed...sure, but I didn't lose my shite like usual. Who really wants to drive and enjoy their car anyway? Besides, I wanted to adjust the bottom of the Apron anyway.

I ground out the last plug weld and made a relief cut on both sides. I was able to pull out the bottom of the Apron without much distortion to that area.

I decided to just delete the cut out in the fender and start over. To reuse the old ones would have involved some thin slats of metal and more welding. No sense in uploading the new pics, just more of the same, except I painted the Brackets and the inside of Bumper to keep the Rust Monster away. So, just the in-progress and the finished pics will do. At least I can move along again. Alojahs!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

That looks great Bruddah! You have to check the hood operation to be 100% sure! That is something I would do!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Looks fantastic as usual, great lines. Popcorn
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

I decided to put my Big Boy pants on and work on the mess I had made of the Rear Bumper conversion a bunch of years ago.

The plan was to simply replace the later model Bumper Bracket with the '71-'73 Bumper Brackets. Cut and paste...easy.

It didn't work out for me. I trimmed and trimmed the Mounts to make them fit, until there was nothing left. In fairness, I didn't like the thickness of the metal as compared to the original '75 Bracket Mounts. The new mounts came in at about 16ga. and the '75 mounts came in at about 10ga.

The next problem was the length of the new Brackets. They were way too short. I believed that it had something to do with the conversion to the later Bug. So, I welded in 1/8" extensions. Only later, did I find a post addressing this issue. Apparently, there are two different lengths. Maybe Standard Bug vs. Super Beetle? Anyway, here's that thread if your interested.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=760574

Anyway, that was years ago and I got frustrated and gave up. Well, it has come back around again. I cleaned up all the surface rust that had accumulated and found the old mounts.

Then made some receiver mounts outta the donor cars Door Reinforcement Bars. Although I still have all the "trimmed" pieces of the new mounts, those two bolt pattern pieces are all that I can use.

I did a test fitting and took some measurements, just for Fun!!
Then, started making my Custom Bracket Mounts.

I tacked it all in and then put some deep beads on the back. With the thicker metal, there wasn't much warpage and I could lay some hot metal in there. Sorry, no pic yet. I forgot. I'll get it next time.

agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

You have nerves of steel. Great job.
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

You will be able to tow a camper with that mount! Or at least a vintage single wheel trailer or something for the surf boards. Applause

When ground, that shape looks engineered.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

SOOOO NICE!!!!!!! Your work is great to read about! I love this thread! There is always something new going on! Hope the family is loving your artistic adventure as much as you are!

That shot with the bumper hanging on the supports looks good! Level, straight, no twist. Nice job! Deck lid going to clear? I know you have thought about it.

Keep at it Bruddah! It is getting close, I can see it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Thanks Bruddah JIMBO,
Yup you're right, I gotta check the Engine Lid clearance. With my limited knowledge and experience, I kinda nip at the edges of the problem until I can zero in on the goal. Kinda like licking a dripping Ice Cream cone.

The family just keeps asking, "How much longer until your done?" I answer with the standard, "A couple more years". Hahaha! In fact, I was just explaining to the wife about fitting the earlier Bumper on my later car and she pulled the 'Ol, "Why didn't you just get the year you wanted?". I had to explain to her again about the drawbacks of living in "PARADISE". The weather's nice, but the options are few.

Hey BUGGEEE,
I don't know about towing anything, although that would be so cool. I'm just worried about the thing falling apart when I get it inverted. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the benefit of the doubt AGRAMMER,
Like they say, "There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity". I dance on that line all the time. Usually, I fall on the stupid side. Wink

So, I got back to nipping at those edges. Here's the pic I promised of the right side Mount.

I'm leaving those welds on the back for strength. Okay, I was just tired of grinding.

Then the other side. This side was cut a bit longer of the body. It was my first try at fitting the stock mount.

Now the fitting begins. I tacked the rear Apron in and also the fabricated Mounts. Put the fenders on and gave it a look.

It looked decent, but still a bit off. After adjusting all I could in this position, It's just about 1/8" tilted downward according to my bubble level. But, it looks good to me at certain angles and then not in another angle. Well, next time. I just sat the engine Lid on there to take a look. Still gotta bolt it in and give it a good check. Thanks

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Looking good
54 bug had for years need to restore
66 bug currently driving
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Bruddah Jellyman! That is so SWEET! Level, equal distances all the way around (I know, it still needs to be proven)! Looks like the decklid can open! You is DA MAN! So good to see!

Enjoy the moment! It is what will get you through the next installment!

Now….what’s next?

Loving it man!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Thanks BadAndy! I am pleased that I have gotten this far, fingers crossed.

My bruddah, JIMBO, always good to hear your encouragement! Yup, I'm getting there. I'm not sure where that is...but that's where I'm getting. Baby steps Wink

So yah, I went to get that Engine Lid on to see if everything would go together alright. I found the hardware, after searching for about an hour digging through almost all of the parts bins. Went to bolt it on and could not figure out how the thing attached. Think Good thing we got the trusty members of TheSamba to help us out. I found some pictures of the Engine Bay and saw that I had forgotten all about those "J" shaped mounting brackets. It has been many years since I had disassembled that thing and forgotten all about them.

The Gallery pic also help to identify what those bolts and the Tab on the "J" mounts were for and if I need them. Of course, the right side is for the Air Intake for the F.I. system and the right...probably for the F.I. too?

Anyway, I cut off the right side bolts and kept the left side Mounting Tab. Maybe I could use it later for something.

Installed the Engine Lid and...Whoa!! it fit and clears the Bumper! I stepped in that D.S. Luck again.

Okay, on to step 2...well actually it's more like step 18 for me. With everything coming together, I'll install the Rear Apron. First was the Engine Seal channel needed to go back on. There was some rust and I over reacted and removed it to clean it all up. I welded in a couple of repair strips to the inner channel and test fitted the seal. Damn! They're hard to get in there.

MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

**Sorry, I had start a new post to continue.**

I went to repair the "Swiss Cheese" that I got cutting out the spot welds on the sides of the Apron. Then clean, prime, and weld on the Apron Seal Channel.

I still had a few missed spots on the inside of the Channel. I was able to control my O.C.D. and remind myself that it will never be seen and is not load carrying...moving on.

Cleaned up the rear clip and sprayed some weld through primer on the inside of the Apron surface as well. Then welded it in!!

The inside "wings" were a bit hard on the neck.

You may have noticed that I welded in some "filler" pieces around the Fabbed mount. I wasn't gonna use these pieces originally. So, my cuts were less than precise and careful. I adjusted the mounts to tilt up a bit more to get the brackets level and also moved the right one out about 1/8" to create a bit more adjusting capability.

Made the filler pieces for the fenders and cut an approximate hole for the bracket.

Time for the test fit....AGAIN!!

Right side Bumper Brackett..perfect. Left side...just a little more adjusting. Hopefully, I can wrap it up this weekend and move on. Thanks for checking on me. Alojahs

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Really nice update! It is starting to get there! Keep knocking tasks off of the list! You got this, man!

Looking so good!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

I can never remember how that deck lid spring goes. Every time I finally figure it out I convince myself I will never forget it again. The next time I put it on upside down like clockwork, everytime. Smile That deck lid system is so counter intuitive to me.

This car will be on the road next summer you know. It's happening. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
agramer1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Great job, I am watching carefully. You are about 6 months in front of me 😁.
1984 924
Bunch of old Jap motorbikes
Instagram & YT: #agrameroldoctane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1975 Beetle Convertible Resto/Mod Build-Chop,Dash,Suicide,Shave. Reply with quote

Good to hear AGRAMER, but at my pace you'll be years ahead of me in no time!!

I hear ya, BUGGEEE! That spring assembly engineering is beyond my understanding. I just keep trying things until it works.

Thanks again Bruddah JIMBO. You know I'll just keep pugging away at this thing. I'm already thinking about how to still work on the Bug from a Wheelchair with Arthritis and a Colostomy bag....when the time comes.

Because, my days off were less than productive. Well, on the Bug anyway. Now the Master Bath sprung leaks. I had to change the Shower Valve and the sink faucet. Just FYI, those parts aren't that great either. Just like the parts we buy for our cars. But, 15 years wasn't a bad run for the originals. Anyway, PAU with the BooHoo.

All I could squeeze in on the Bug was cleaning and prep work. I finished up the welding on the extensions to the bottom of the mounts and cleaned up the chassis.

I wanted to do a good cleaning of the small "Goose neck" portion of the Bumper Mount on the Chassis. I made a little scrubber thingy with a red scrub pad on a rod. Dipped it in the Phosphorus and inserted it in the hole. Immediately the pad came off in the hole. I was trying to dig it out, when I discovered that it opens up at the end under the chassis!! .... Just for your information.... Then sprayed with the Eastwood channel rust inhibitor.

Then I finished up the afternoon with the Bracket holes in the fenders. Oh well...hopefully next weekend I'll get to finish.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 21

Jump to: